Alcohol intolerance

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lease79, Mar 3, 2007.

1. lease79

lease79 New Member

Is anyone else here totally alcohol intolerant?

I am 27 years old, & have NEVER been a drinker. That said, about 4-5 years ago, I had to stop even having a social drink.

I had the equivilent of 1 standard alcoholic drink last night & before I'd even finished it I felt like my body was internally buzzing (very unpleasant.) My heart rate elevates & sometimes skips. I feel hot, incredibly tired, become extremely gassy, & my stomach becomes incredibly upset.

I got nearly no sleep last night because of the chest & stomach discomfort which lasted all night.

I have a similar reaction to cafeine.

So is anyone else like this?
  2. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I, too, have never done much drinking and had a low tolerance of two drinks over the course of an evening. Several years ago my tolerance began diminishing and eventually went to zero. I blamed it on age, at the time.

I now think it was diminished liver function. I did a general detox last fall. Afterwards, I had a couple of drinks one evening since I wasn't going anywhere but to bed. I was expecting them to pretty much knock me out. Instead, they had almost no effect, less than they would have when I was you. I am assuming my liver was better able to handle the alcohol after the detox.[This Message was Edited on 03/04/2007]
  3. lease79

lease79 New Member

~*QUOTE*~

Indeed I do. And as I am getting older they are getting worse.

At Christmas my Mother bought all three of my girls a bottle of 'Disney' perfume each.

My middle daughter who is 7, sprayed it on her hand & then held it under my nose for a smell.

I instantly couldn't breathe. Basically at all. I signalled for my husband to get my ventolin & nasal spray, but I really should have gone to hospital.

I have NEVER before had a reaction that severe, but I have permanent post-nasal drip & low level allergies.

I was talking to one Dr recently about alot of my symtoms & he shocked me by telling me that I was an allergic nightmare. I really didn't think that things were that bad, but he opened up my eyes to the fact that they are.

When I was younger (*cough cough,* I'm 27!!) I didn't have any probs with medications, but now I have reacted to pethidine (with no prior probs,) Panadol & codeine mix (with no prior problems,) & diazepam (with no prior problems.) It really is getting worse as I get older.
  4. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

Im 26 and Im very surprised at how my life has ended up. I never could have predicted it in a million years.

I used to love to go out for drinks all the time with friends and my fiance (then boyfriend)...thats why for the first time when I moved out of my parents house my fiance and I started our own little bar. Its great for entertaining purposes... plus he likes his occasional drink. (and who am I to hold him back!)

The last time I drank, I would say that I had 3 tiny glasses of Pinot Grigio over a 3 hour period when I went to meet a friend that I hadnt seen in a long time at a bar that local bands play at.

Boy did that knock me for a whirl!! I havent gotten buzzed in a long time...and I had no intentions on it nor did I care to.

I could not believe how sick I was for the week following that. I felt as though I had poisoned my body...well in a way I did....but the alcohol wouldnt leave my body.

My RLS went into maximum overdrive....24/7. I ached from head to toe for a week because of that wine.

NO MORE!!!!

Hugs,
    Steph
    [This Message was Edited on 03/04/2007]
  5. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I used to love going out to dinner and having a couple glasses of wine. Since developing FMS, I can't even have one glass of wine. I feel awful about an hour later and have increased pain, it is just not worth it.

I have totally quit drinking and I have to say, now I really don't miss it anymore. I did not even have one drink at my daughter's wedding in Dec. What a waste though, as it was an open bar with anything you wanted to drink! I sure didn't get my money's worth! But, everyone else did my share of drinking and I think we came out even!

Seems to be quite common with us! Sally
  6. mapleleaf

mapleleaf New Member

I was an occasional social drinker, have a couple of drinks and feel fine. Then, I started getting headaches the next morning from just one or two drinks. Gradually, I started getting migraines. If I have one drink now, I will get a migraine and a hangover like I drank the whole bottle! One drink will make me feel like I had three. At first, I suspected an allergy to alcohol, and it doesn't matter what I drink, wine, beer or other types of alcohol, I have the same reaction. Now I suspect my liver isn't metabolizing the alcohol correctly. When I tell a doctor this, there comment is all the same, don't drink, and then they change the subject without furhter investigating.
  7. dolphin67

dolphin67 New Member

About 3 1/2 years ago I had a horrible reaction to just a couple of beers. woke up in the middle of the night so sick I couldn't even crawl. I felt absolutely poisoned. I had been a bit of a drinker up until then. I didn't drink at all for over a year. the last time I had a few sips of alcohol was 2 years ago and felt so buzzed that I just don't touch it anymore. I truly don't miss it either. I don't have any problem with caffeine though. (thank goodness! )
  8. Diva55

Diva55 New Member

YES!
    I used to drink a lot as I was always going out with friends to clubs, dinner, concerts. I always had half a bottle of wine with a meal at home. But I was the champagne Queen!

Well about 2 years ago I had some wine and it tasted off, so I poured a bottle away & opened another and that tasted off. I thought it was the reaction to the meds I was on (I had bnever been put off with any no drinking warning!) so I didn't drink for awhile.

Then friends visited and I had some wine which tasted o.k (not that nice) but I was ill for a long time after.

I tried a little champagne at Christmas and the same reaction.

SO yes I've become very intolerant and funny thing is that I don't miss it when I thought I really would. Although saying that I have NO social life but I think even if I did I would still only drink water.

Yes seems we are all much in the same place with alcohol.
  9. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

Yes, I too have difficulty with tolerating alcohol. I get the exact same symptoms you are describing. I've never been a heavy drinker either, so one Smirnoff Ice is usually enough to bring on those same symptoms you described. I've found the best way to deal with it is to just avoid alcohol. Occasionally, I'll order a drink for myself, but I make a point of drinking very slowly and not drinking the whole thing. It kind of feels like a waste, but it's better than suffering the consequences later on.

Hugs,
    Kim
  10. ask2266

ask2266 Member

I drank and partied a ton until I was about 24, and then with each year, I've gotten where the day after gets worse and worse and worse.

Now at 35, I don't drink anything at all. Just a single beer knocks me out for 3 days.

My brother is the same way but he doesn't have any health issues.
  11. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Intolerance to alcohol was actually something that started about 6 months before I was diagnosed. Even a couple glasses of wine would get me sick for days, not your usual hangover.

I used to love to have a few drinks and go out with my friends, but I guess those days are behind me.....

Sue in Ontario
  12. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

I was very intolerant when I was at my worst. Now that I'm recovered I can drink alcohol without any impact the next day...I don't drink much mind you...only 1 glass or 2 at the very most...but I can handle it now. I think it has a lot to do with how well your adrenals are functioning. Once you get them back and working you can drink a little now and then.
  13. marilynb

marilynb New Member

I too have problems. I have never been a heavy drinker, although in my younger days, could party harty, with the rest of em.

Anyway, I started having major stomach upset several years ago, so I just couldn't drink anymore.

Lately, I have just wanted the taste of a beer with lime & salt. So a couple of weeks ago I had 1 (ONE) with dinner. I didn't seem to have a problem. When we got home, I took my nightime meds & went to sleep. I slept for 12 hours straight! I didn't think anything about the drink the night before. Just thought I needed the sleep.

So this past Friday night, I did the same thing, 1 beer with dinner. Went home, took my meds & went to bed. This time, I slept for 13 hours straight! The weird thing about it was I kept trying to wake up & couldn't. I would force 1 eye open & just couldn't manage to wake up. It was like, I was in a coma or something. It really scared me.

If I EVER have another beer or drink, it will be in the middle of my day, not when any meds are due.

Marilyn