Alcohol Tolerance

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by u&iraok, Jul 18, 2010.

1. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

Anyone else have an intolerance to alcohol? Since I've had CFS I had to rachet down to 1/2 glass of beer or wine only but now I find I can't even tolerate that.
  2. shirley1259

shirley1259 New Member

I have fibro not cfs but I have been intolerant to alcohol for many years now. If I take even a small drink I will end up with incredible pain in my shoulders. I figure it this way it keeps me from being an alcoholic like my brothers and sisters are. lol

3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

for the most part I cannot tolerate alcohol at all anymore (literally a few sips and I feel it big time) also seems to taste different to me than it used to

the really weird thing, though, is that every so often I can actually handle one drink without problems (I know - why am I still trying to drink anything if it usually bothers me?! answer to that is that I miss it.....used to have a glass of wine many evenings, or a beer, or once in awhile something sweet....never that much, but still enough that I do miss it)
  4. lovinsportsmom628

lovinsportsmom628 New Member

I like everyone else that has posted have an intolerance to alcohol if i even take one drink I pay for it the next day big flare up. I have fm and cfs with everything else, but I had to stop drinking all together about 6 yrs ago because it just wasn't worth it!

5. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Alcohol intolerance is common if the cause of your symptoms is a chronic Borrelia burgdorferi infection....

See symptom list pages 9-11 of this paper....on page 11, 3rd from last symptom listed says " Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol"...
  6. joanierav

joanierav Member

yes, that was my first symtom. just out of the blue i couldnt tolerate alcohol one day. then came the debilitating fatigue. shortly after. i still have both 17 yrs later. joanierav
  7. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

In my case has been life-long & is genetic. Alcoholics in the family are a BIG clue for genetic alcohol intolerance.

When there is a deficiency of the dehydrogenase enzyme that breaks down either alcohol or its byproduct, acetaldehyde, alcohol intolerance becomes evident. Certain ethnic groups (Native American, Asian) have a higher incidence of dehydrogenase deficiency than other ethnic groups -- however the enzyme deficiency gene can occur in any family.

Not sure how (or IF) this info relates to those of you who acquired alcohol intolerance with your DD.

Best wishes.
  8. joanierav

joanierav Member

i didnt know that about borrelia burgdorferi. i will look into it. thank you. i wonder if that was included in the many lyme tests ive had over the yrs? i did go to a LLDD , and he said no lyme. but yrs ago i did have a doctor who treated me for lyme with bicillin injections for 6 mos. after 3 mos . i started to feel a bit better, but then after the 6 mos. i got really sick with the stomack and had to go to the er. er doctor took me right off them. i recently read that at that point i probably should have been put on a different antibiotic.

oh well, another doctor mistake. i am on iv igg gamma globulin and thats to keep the bacterial infections away. so that may be a side benefit for keeping the lyme at bey.

9. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

Thanks, I have never had a test for Lyme. The symptoms match pretty well. I would love if I there was an actual Igenex lab where you could pay for a test and walk away because I'm not wanting to put myself in a doctor's care right now. And I'm very picky about which doctor(s) I put my trust in. I just want a test.

I've gotten as far as getting some llmds names but I'm not convinced yet that all CFS is Lyme and while it may be true that you need to submit to the complete Lyme protocol I don't react well to drugs at all--my system sees them as big-time toxins (but I'm not anti-drug, want to make that clear), and would want to find a doctor that's super excellent and trust his protocol and that it was a protocol for me, specifically (they're so overwhelmed with patients they don't know who you are).

Also, since I see that Lyme not caught early is rarely curable I'm not very motivated to have a doctor just manage it if he/she can't cure it when I've managed my CFS pretty well so far. I might change my mind if I get very sick but other than a set back due to over-exercising which I stupidly did because I had gotten to the point of feeling pretty well, which I think I'm recovering from, I'm doing okay right now.

I don't know if you wanted to hear all that and I hope it doesn't sound defensive and negative but I didn't want to ignore your post and I appreciate your responding and trying to get the education out there and help people and my mind is not closed, I want to keep learning especially as more research comes in (if it's not blocked.)

10. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Thanks for your response. If you should decide to look further into the lyme possibility at some point, check out's Medical questions board and

If is unlikely that most people who have lyme, just have lyme.

People with symptoms like post-exertional malaise, or air hunger or night sweats should consider that they may have Babesia, etc.

Chronic lyme might not be "curable", but for so many of us it is about quality of life.....treatment that can supress symptoms to make life normal.

Everyone has to make their own decisions about what is best for them.

I am glad that you have the possibility in the back of your mind if you need it.

Lyme is not diagnosed with a test though. It is a clinical diagnosis.

Perhaps you have had so much trouble taking meds because they caused herxing?

I am glad that you are managing your symptoms well at this point.

I hope you never get any worse.
  11. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

It is important for you to know that lyme tests are very unreliable.

99% of Dr's mistakenly rule out lyme by a negative test.

An ELISA is worthless. A western blot thought regular labs like Quest or LabCorp leave out some very important lyme specific bands.

It is very common for patients with chronic lyme to test negative for lots of reasons....

Recovery with long term antibiotic therapy can take a long time. LLMD's say to treat for about 2 months after all symptoms have resolved.

Here's some info:
  12. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

I'm probably doing a lot of the things for CFS that would be done for Lyme. I'm not as interested in supressing symptoms (unless they get really bad) as helping my body help itself. Correcting nutritional deficiencies, fixing the digestion, the endocrine system, balancing hormones, killing viruses, avoiding stress, helping the body make glutathione, etc.

One thing that REALLY helped with whatever pathogens I may have had or still have is MMS. I know that's helped some people with Lyme. I took it last year for 2 months, gradually building up the dose and felt much better and still don't seem to have a problem, at least not detectible, with pathogens. I took Vit D after that and that helped further. (MMS, then D, A & C also got rid of a chronic sinus problem.) If I need MMS again I hope it's still there, they've banned it in some places.

When you talk about meds and herxing I assume you mean meds specifically for lyme, not meds in general? I've never taken meds for anything related to CFS. I'm talking about meds in general and how I react to them. Advil, for instance, even. I can't tolerate them. I also don't want to use them to just feel better now, if that would actually work, usually I pay the piper pretty quickly after taking any meds. For a drug that actually helps like Dr. Cheney says Klonpin does, by protecting the brain against excitatory neurotoxicity I might consider if I didn't react badly but then I'm also thinking about down the road and what effect they may have long term, especially after seeing the long term results on people I know, including my otherwise healthy as an ox MIL suffering from near kidney failure from blood pressure medicine (her doctor said that was the cause). But if I had FM with bad pain I'm sure I'd be on meds for pain management and quality of life.

I've only had CFS for 5 years. So far I've gotten better than when I first got it. If that's a fools paradise and I get worse I may see you on :)
  13. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

a lot of us can't even tolerate one drink. once in a very Blue Moon now, i may have a beer or Margarita, if im out socially and others are drinkin away. but honestly that one drinlk will make me feel like ive had a half dozen!

so now if i do go out( rarely) im The DD :) i dont want to go into the whole spill about why i cant drink, so i just tell them Im driving so ya'll can get plastered,lol.

cfids takes away just about every shread of a normal life. even something as simple as one drink.
  14. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

My alcohol tolerance went from low (a couple of drinks) to none during the course of ME/CFS. I assumed it was due to aging. I did a liver detox for other reasons and found that my alcohol tolerance returned to low. I started with a general detox tea, then a liver detox tea, then liver detox pills.
  15. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

That makes complete sense that our alcohol intolerance is due to our liver already being stressed. Take it easy though, if our detoxification pathways are impaired you might find that alcohol will put your liver back where it was faster. I hope no one is having a drink and taking tylenol at the same time!
  16. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

It has been nearly 3 years since the occasion where I noticed that my alcohol tolerance had returned and I don't think I have had a drink since. I was never more than a occasional drinker. Alcohol is incompatible with quite a few medications. It wouldn't surprise me if it was incompatible with some supplements, as well.
  17. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

I see that alcohol is said to react with almost every medication and be careful of kava kava. I'm sure there's others. Maybe anything that depresses the central nervous system like alcohol does so that the effect is amplified.

Tylenol (acetominophen) stands out because it can damage the liver and kidneys even at therapeutic doses when combined with alcohol. People have died doing something anyone might do, such as one girl I read about who took a couple tylenol, then took some cold medicine with acetominophen in it, then had a few drinks.
  18. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

jam- you naughty little gal- with the wine and the dos equis!!!!! party at jams house!!!! I'll be right over!!! (just kidding)

about alcohol intolerance- i am not intolerant but i rarely drink anymore. and when i do have a drink , its just one beer, or just a half a beer. if i didnt have cfs i think i would indulge more.

my brother w cfs seem to have more of a prob w alcohol intolerance. now he almost never has a drink , but he does enjoy a "non alcoholic beer" now and then. i tried it and it was good. so that is his solution.

best wishes to everyone