Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lynncats, Mar 28, 2009.

1. lynncats

lynncats New Member

does anyone know if alcohol has an affect on FM? Some nights I'll have a few beers. Haven't noticed if the pain is different if I don't have "my few beers" or if I do, but was just curious.
  2. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

for me at least, i can only handle maybe a fee beers, the hard stuff Makes me sick as a dog, and in my pre-fibro days i was a social drinker. But no more. i think theres a lot of us that have alcohol intolerance, it's like our bodies cant break it down or something.
  3. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Last time I tried to have a drink was Xmas. Just a glass of wine. OMG the pain. I had SEVERE pain all over to where I was nearly screaming. I really thought I was going to have to go to the hospital. I took tylenol/benadryl and once that kicked in, I was better. But I'm not gonna try it again.

If you can still have some alcohol, a little won't hurt. But it might affect your blood sugar levels.
  4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

Many of us cannot handle any alcohol, but some of us can. The effects on the body are similar to carbs from effects blood sugar levels, and it has yeast, so if you have candida, or are trying to avoid gluten, or trying to take in a low amt of carbs it is best to avoid it....or if sugar makes your symptoms worse, it might too. Also, since it effects the liver and many of the meds and supplements that people take for pain, depression, sleep, etc also effect the liver, it is really not good to combine with those.....or if you are trying to detox your body in general, as many of us are (bc toxin overload is one theory about fibro and cfs), it is also not going to help with that.....and if you have more than one drink, it actually disrupts sleep further, as lots of reasons to avoid it.....that said, if it doesn't bother you that much and you want to have a drink here or there, then go ahead and enjoy it.....there are some benefits to small amounts of alcohol (not fibro or cfs benefits, though)
  5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I haven't really been big on drinking for many many years when I used to go out with friends or something. (much younger then)

Then I pretty much stopped drinking altogether because I like feeling well the next day - just not worth it for me. Even when I used to go out with friends in the past years I could have a great time just having an iced tea, even while they all had wine or something. Of course, now I don't even go out.

Since being on meds, I wouldn't risk drinking - am too afraid of ending up with a horrible reaction.

If you're not on anything that you shouldn't have alcohol with and it makes you feel okay, I'm sure it's fine to have a glass of wine or something. I can't imagine drinking enough to get a hangover.