Alcoholism and Alzheimer's?

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by meekaseeka, Feb 3, 2009.

1. meekaseeka

meekaseeka New Member

My mother is 75. She was diagnosed three months ago with Alzheimer's. I have moved home to help my father care for her, and during the day, other than some forgetfulness, she is quite normal. However, she has always had a couple of drinks in the evening, tho not usually enough to change her personality or behaviour. Now, she drinks more, starts earlier and sneaks drinks. Her psychiatrist (in charge of drug treatment, not so far any therapy) has said that she should be allowed to drink what she is accustomed to and we should try to slowly wean her to less, and that any drastic "cutting off" would be more harmful than beneficial.

I am brand new to this, way over my head and really want to do what's best. Anyone have any experience with this? I would so appreciate some help!
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I would pop into the Alzheimer's board here and pose your question there. I think you would find them to be of great support to you on the journey you're embarking upon.
    I visited the board once as my friend's Mom is in the further stages of Alzheimer's. What a wonderful group of people they are over there - and extremely knowledgable.
    I'm very sorry to hear that your Mom has been diagnosed. How nice of you to move home to help your Dad.

I wish you the best.