ALERT--Red Tide Off The Gulf Coast of SW FL

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, May 10, 2006.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Last evening, I felt a bit nervous and shaky and saw red lights coming off the TV screen. I had trouble breathing when I went to bed and woke with a migraine about 4:00 this morning. I've been taking all kinds of stuff and huffing on my inhaler. The headache is still bothering me a bit. The lungs are better but I surely can't run a mile.

The newspaper carried pictures of a bad outbreak of Red Tide off Sanibell Island, not far from where I live. I don't know how far north or south the outbreak goes, but the blooms of the red algae can dry and blow inland for miles. I am very suseptible to this toxin which affects the nervous system and breathing. Soon, there will be hundreds of dead fish floating ashore.

Hope this doesn't affect others here but thought I'd sound the alarm if anyone lives in SW FL and is having symptoms similar to mine.

Love, Mikie
    [This Message was Edited on 05/10/2006]
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Mikie:
    I am so sorry you had such a rough night. I am glad you are a tad better now.

Regarding the algae: maybe a filter could help or a face mask. Haven't you people around there suffered enough with the hurricane season, which is upon us again.

I heard on the radio yesterday that hurricanes would be 'busy' this years, but not ferocious like last year.
    We can only hope.

Feel better soon!

hugs,
    nyrofan
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

Hope you can get an air filter as well, they can be really helpful... and I agree with the comment above, I'd probably want to wear a face mask if not.

I was discussing the upcoming hurricane season with some friends yesterday... someone said the Caribbean has the warmest temps on record for this time of year, hence the prediction of an equal or worse season of hurricanes (or so the friend had heard, who knows) ... wonder if the higher temps are also why there are red tides?

all the best,
    Victoria
    [This Message was Edited on 05/10/2006]
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The theory is that the higher temps make the storms more intense because the warm water feeds them.

I do have air cleaners all over my place but I had gone over to a neighbor's place and we sat outside because she is a smoker. I thought it was the smoke, but I usually don't have such a strong reaction to smoke. It was just the air full of algae spores which made me sick.

Right now, the market for condos has bottomed out here. A lot of people just wanted to take their profits while the prices were up and others wanted to escape the hurricanes. There is too much inventory of homes and condos for sale. I am thinking of moving closer to Atlanta but will have to wait until it is easier to sell. I'll just hunker down for another season. The worst part is going to be the insurance hikes we are facing down here. So many are on fixed incomes and will not be able to afford to live here. It's sad.

Thanks, everyone, for your caring.

Love, Mikie
  5. browneyelady48

browneyelady48 New Member

Hi lady, I have been away from the board for awhile, I HATE TO HEAR ABOUT THE RED TIDE BEING BACK. I spent 2 weeks at the beach in sept last year and I truely beleive the red tide that was just awful is what pushed me over to be put on oxygen. How are you doing? How is the precious little grandson. Did you decide not to move to be closer to him? Excuse the typing I fell and broke my left elbow this past saturday. brenda
    [This Message was Edited on 05/11/2006]
  6. pawprints

pawprints New Member

Be careful and stay safe.

We are on the east coast not far from you and I am just now fixing the damage caused by last hurricane season. It is also time to start preparing for this season.

I would love to move to Georgia, but we can't. Each hurricane season my nerves get worse. I'll have to hunker down with my Klonopin.

Regards,
    Shana
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

OMG, Brenda, I'm sooo sorry about your elbow. I'm sending up a little prayer for healing. A freind of mine here did that and, in addition to the pain, having the arm out of commission was the worst. When I snapped my right bicep tendon and had it in a cast/splint for six months, I had to learn to print with my left hand just so I could work.

I am still considering moving to GA if I can ever sell here and find a house up there. Right now, if I could sell this, I'm sure I could find something. I'm keeping it on the back burner.

Shana, I just wrote a couple of paragraphs which got wiped out. I'm on my laptop and every now and then if I get to typing too fast, I'll let my hands drag on the touchpad and wipe out all my work. I refuse to use a mouse because I have wi-fi an like to just sit on the sofa to use it. Anyway, I was agreeing that about all we can do is hope and pray for a mild hurricane season. Good luck to you. Yes, the Klonopin should help with the anxiety.

Love, Mikie