Alert--using store electric scooters

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TwoCatDoctors, Nov 7, 2012.

1. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Today I saw an extremely large man in sweat shorts that had fresh defecation (poop) on the back of his shorts, go into the supermarket and use one of the store's electric scooters.

What this means to you is if you use store scooters, start bringing some sort of wipes with you and consider wiping public scooters before you use them. Wipe not only the seats, but the hand grips and the switch to go forward and backwards to avoid contamination from situations just like above.

You get e-coli contamination from defecation (poop) and it can make you very ill. I have my own scooter, but had never thought about the public scooters until I saw this man today.

If the man knows he soiled himself and can't help himself, he should be bringing a cover, pillow, or disposable cover for the scooter seat before he sits down and that is the proper thing to do because he presents a health problem when he sits on a scooter.

[This Message was Edited on 11/07/2012]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

There's a hazard I never though of. I always thought the only
    danger was some driver might flash back to teen years and
    start driving amok!

Rock
  3. keke466

keke466 New Member

This is exactly why I refuse to use anything like this that others have used. I have OCD to begin with and things like this just push me over the edge. It's all I can do to use the carts.
  4. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

When I saw this man at the fresh fruit and vegetables picking over what he wanted (picking up and putting back the single pieces of fruit that he didn't want), I started to feel nausaus and that did it for me and I went to the check out.

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The store should have been alerted because this is against the health regulations. There is no need for anyone to be out in poopy pants. There are diapers which can be worn. I do have sympathy for people who have no control over they bodily functions but they should never be allowed to put the public at risk.

When I worked at Publix and I had some spare time, I took the antibacterial wipes and cleaned our scooters. We considered it necessary.

People who do not wash their hands after using the bathrooms can easily spread illness, especially if they work around food. It's disgusting.

Love, Mikie
  6. keke466

keke466 New Member

I was watching Anderson Live yesterday and his actress cohost said she was on a plane once with a man in the middle seat who kept making grunting noises and she was kinda freaking out wandering what he was doing,but a few mintues later she started smelling something and he had sat right there in betwen 2 women and pooped his pants. She didn't say or do anything but I think I would've ask to move or that he moved or something. What grown man does this. People can be so disgusting.

Mikey,I agree,I would've had to say something to the manager.
    Twocats,it's just awful,isn't it,and they wander why we get so much from food. Just too many nasty people out there.LOL..

When I was working at the hospital,people would come into the ER that smelled so bad it absolutely would make you sick to your stomach and we would have to walk out and catch our breath.

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is an airline pilot. He said almost every flight, the crew which cleans the planes has to change the seat covers for either pee or poop. Guess it's more common than we knew. Ewwwwww, indeed!

Love, Mikie

BTW, if you like bathroom humor and are not easily offended by sexual comedy, I recommend, "Hall Pass." I laughed out loud sitting here by myself.
  8. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

When I was in the supermarket with this guy, so much went through my thoughts. I also know there is a push for disabled rights too and within 30 minutes from the supermarket is a disability law center to represent the disabled.

I thought about telling the service desk and I realized in order for them to see his pooped shorts, they would have to stop him and ask him to stand up from the electric scooter. In the world of political correctness, the store might not do that for fear of harassment charges of a disabled person in case I was lying.

They could wait until he took the scooter out out to his car and then see when he stood up to get into his car, but he would be leaving by then and what would they say and do?? Tell him his shorts are pooped and he can't come back in the store like that again? And he could say he just pooped them. Who knows.

Seeing him touch fresh fruits and veggies, I got sick to stomach and had to check out. So I have to be aware that I'm sensitive to him near loose food.

In thinking through it all, I figured that I will see him again because we shopped on the discount day. Because I am disabled and he is using a store scooter (probably also disabled) I will gently speak to him myself that I saw him the last time and tell him about seat covers, disposable seat covers, adult diapers etc. I will say if I see him again like that, that I will seek the store manager and inform him and maybe the store manager will directly call the police to handle it all. And that's why I'm speaking to him so it never reaches that level.

Maybe it will work.

[This Message was Edited on 11/09/2012]
  9. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Even Shelby the cat uses disposable dog training pads to go to the bathroom and you can get them at Walmart, Target, etc. (Shelby recommends them highly and uses them because she said her brother is a pig and she's not sharing a bathroom with him).

That guy at the supermarket could even sit on the doggie training pads.
  10. 3gs

3gs New Member

OMG I use the store scooters and never thought about wiping them down. I will now.
    The biggest gripe I have is broken scooters. I reported one at the store where the brake wasn't working so it kept rolling. Went back 3wks later and it was still on the floor!! another one rolled and cut my gdaughters heel open-yup still on floor wks later!
    Store manager said Corporate was to cheap to fix-low priority.... umm maybe next time a law suit from injuries will wake them up!
  11. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I never imagined this type of incident happening and it shocked me. I'm telling everyone I come to to warn them.

I also mentioned it to the one local support group I attend (both men and women) and ALL of them were grossed out and never thought of it happening. But they're going to pass the word so that them, their loved ones and friends keep disinfectant wipes in the car and take a few in when using these public scooters in any store.

And truthfully, surveys have been done about people using the bathroom and NOT washing their hands. Anyone using a scooter that uses the bathroom and doesn't wash their hands is potentially leaving bathroom germs that others could get.

How many times have you seen a woman in one of those public scooters with a child clinging to the handlebar of it?? So it makes sense to wipe it down. More stores should provide the wipes themselves.
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Do not trump biohazards to the public. That store could be shut down by the health dept. for allowing that guy to do what he did. I'm as sensitive to people with disabilities as the next guy but possibly spreading e-Coli isn't cool.

Love, Mikie
  13. Goatwoman

Goatwoman Member

Please be cautious when and if you talk to this guy. You never know how people may react.

First thing I do when I get home from anywhere is to take off my shoes and wash my hands. Got in the habit after working in hospitals.

Georgia
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's best to let the store mgmt. handle the situation. That's why they get paid the big bucks :) If they won't do anything about it, a threat to call the health dept. should get them moving.

Love, Mikie