Alice in Wonderland syndrome?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by woofmom, Jun 14, 2006.

1. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Anybody here have it or heard of it?
  2. sues1

sues1 New Member

Definition of Alice in Wonderland syndrome

Alice in Wonderland syndrome: A syndrome of distorted space, time and body image. The patient with the Alice in Wonderland syndrome has a feeling that their entire body or parts of it have been altered in shape and size.

The syndrome is usually associated with visual hallucinations. The majority of patients with the syndrome have a family history of migraine headache or have overt migraine themselves.

The syndrome was first described in 1955 by the English psychiatrist John Todd (1914-1987). Todd named it, of course, for Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. Perhaps not coincidentally, Lewis Carroll suffered from severe migraine. Also known as a Lilliputian hallucination.

Love, Susan
  3. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I was researching migraine headaches and came across it. I've had that for what seems like forever. I didn't know it had a name or was a "real" symptom.
  4. Jordane

Jordane New Member

Alice In Wonderland Syndrome!!!

Its the first I have heard of it.

Never did like the fabel or the movies of Alice.Creeped me out!!!

Jordane
  5. woofmom

woofmom New Member

6. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I sometimes lie in bed and I get a sensations that different parts of my body are huge. Then it seems like they shrink. I guess it's (for me) a form of migraine, although I didn't start getting really, really bad headaches until two years ago. But, I've had what I call "sick" headaches for a number of years.