ALJ Hearing on Monday...Any Last Minute Tips or Advice?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by srobins, Apr 8, 2006.

1. srobins

srobins New Member

Well, the big day is almost here! Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers for Monday! Any last minute advice or tips you can think of to share?

Thanks!
    Sandy
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

dresslike your sick...sweat shirt and pants is fine...don't primp...

do you have an attorney?

well just answer honestly and cry if you need to..

jodie
  3. cerise

cerise New Member

Believe in yourself and the legitimacy of your case. You will probably be asked questions by the ALJ. Just be honest but do not get detailed. Keep your answers short.

It's perfectly OK to cry. Remember too the ALJ is probably looking at you, thinking, "but she doesn't look sick."

Don't dress up.
    Don't wear high heeled shoes.
    Don't wear make-up.
    Don't wear alot of jewelry, if any.
    Don't have your hair styled.
    No hairspray.
    Peferably don't carry a purse or have someone assist you in carrying it into the hearing.

You're going to go through 5 step process at the hearing on which the ALJ will determine if you're disabled.

And unless a decision is rendered right then and there at the hearing (which is very rare), depending on where you are located, could take about 3 months to receive your decision.

If you're over 50 you will stand a much better chance of being found disabled because under 50 is considered a "younger person" able to work other jobs -- according to SSA rules and regulations.

What has your attorney said about your case? There are several websites that explain the hearing process and what to expect.

I wish you the best and hope you have drawn a fair ALJ. Don't worry, this is the day you have been waiting for. Most cases are won at this level.

Let us know how it goes!
  4. neeter1

neeter1 New Member

Just be honest..tell them how you feel on your very, very worst day..even if you have some good days..keep it at your worst. Go as you look every day..A good judge will know what to look for..your pain and physical discomfort will come through loud and clear by the way you sit, the look on your face, etc. If you get confused..don't worry about it...it's part of the fog thing. I did cry a bit when I talked about how my life had changed drastically..not put on..but real tears...just don't get on a crying jag. I was lucky..my judge use to be a lawyer who did disability cases in the past..I really think that helped. He was very kind. There was an expert there who could have asked questions to determine if there was any kind of work I could do...The judge never let him talk.

Good Luck!

Neeter1
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Was to wear something dark and loose. Nothing colorful nor perky. He said to just come to court as I was when I got out of bed--not to do my hair nor put on makeup. The judge needs to see how you look when you are sick.

You can talk to your atty., and should, for 30 mins. before the hearing. Your atty. can ask to question you himself and ask leading questions which require only a yes or no answer. Mine asked, "So you never know from day to day whether you are going to be sick enough to have to stay in bed?" He also asked, "Some of the medications you take affect you so that you may not be able to concentrate or drive?" I'm recapping here, but you get the idea. Ask your atty. what he or she has in mind.

Be honest and don't give long answers. Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  6. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

srobbins:
    Keep it simple. And all the advice you got is exactly what I would have said had I seen this post sooner.
    Good advice from all.
    Lots of luck on Monday.

nyrofan
  7. srobins

srobins New Member

I am only 36 (will be 37 in June)so this is what worries me. I do have an attorney, although I am not very happy with her. I do have one thing in my favor - I look sick. I look like I am always totally exhausted (because I am!). I am also having a lot of back pain right now so my husband says I am walking "hunched and a little off center".
  8. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

I don't have any advice other than what's allready been said but I wanted to wish you well for tomorrow...

I am 38 and awaiting my hearing with the ALJ...I am anxious just waiting for the date, I can't imagine what I will be like the day it comes...Although, I notice I keep telling my husband that I don't care when it is or what the judge asks me, I will be honest and he WILL see how sick I am...

Try not to be nervous, things will be allright...

Let us know when you get home...

Peaceful days ahead~Alicia