ALJ HEARING..WHAT DO I WEAR?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shmilycsc, Oct 8, 2005.

1. shmilycsc

shmilycsc New Member

HI
    MY HEARING IS THIS THURSDAY. I WAS WONDERING WHAT TO WEAR. IS JEANS APPROPIATE? OR DO I NEED TO DRESS UP?

THANK YOU CAROLYN
  2. shmilycsc

shmilycsc New Member

THANK YOU. IM SO STRESSED ABOUT GOING TO THE HEARING. I KNOW THAT I AM REALLY DISABLED. NOW I HAVE TO GO PROVE IT TO SOMEONE WHO IS GONNA BE CRITICAL OF ME.

MY HUBBY TOLD ME JUST TO GO IN AND BE MYSELF. HE SAID THEY WILL SEE HOW DISABLED I AM.

THANK YOU CAROLYN
  3. shmilycsc

shmilycsc New Member

thank you for the encouragement. i am so glad that you got a favorable decision. i pray mine goes as well.

thank you carolyn
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

dress up and even wear hardly any make up. i don't know if you are applying based on depression/anxiety usually that goes hand and hand w/fms. i wore terry sweat pants and a shirt that matched. you don't want to look like you can and feel good. my attoenry said dress like your sick, because i was ill that day anyways. i didn't do the make-up and hair like i would normally on a good day.

they think if you can dress to the nines and be prim and proper. then you must not be feeling too badly.

and when indougbt ask your atorney. and inf fact your attorney probably will call to confirm with you anyways but do leave message. jeans and t-shirt would be just fine. it is just a small room size of a large office in there very informal.

jodie
  5. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Be yourself. Just be natural, not wearing make-up if that's you. As far as hair, if it's long, pull back into ponytail or wear up with a comb. Nothing fancy.

I'd be careful to not look like your trying to appear ill. To me, I'd believe that someone coming in jeans and looking disheveled was trying to appear like they were sick. Also, I don't think that it's respectful to a judge to wear jeans.

Just be yourself, you'll do fine. My prayers will be there with you Carolyn.

Warm wishes, Jeannette
  6. hdbubblehead

hdbubblehead New Member

shower the night before, then straight out of bed.
    wash up and put on your lounging attire. light-weight sweats outfit, or lounging dress. you might get cold so take a sweater or sweatshirt.
    no rosey cheeks, no jewelry 'cept wedding ring.
    comfortable shoes.
    (if ya wear jeans, some see that you can zip and button, if you wear jacket/pant outfit, you might be seen working as a "greetings person" at Robinson's.
    *my motto- if ya don't feel good, don't look good.
    what you want to look like is yourself on your worse physical day.
    after your ready to go, remember, you will be sworn in, so just be yourself. let the inside speak for the outside, rather then vice-versa.
    write a note to yourself, to bring up all the topics that you deal with then keep you from holding a job.
    i said i can use my computer sometimes, so they said i can sit for up to 6 hours.
    what they didn't know is 6 hours spread out into two days.
    they will ask when was the last time you went out of state in a car, traveling. they want to know how long you can sit still. (my answer was 6 years ago) these judges are sharp as tacks. they know what they are doing.
    the have heard every line in the book. so just be yourself, and keep you cool.
    i have ya in prayers on the 12+ 13th.
    may all areas go smoothly for you all day.
    blessings always......hd.
  7. petesdragon

petesdragon New Member

My lawyer said no flashy clothes or jewelry and NO fancy nails. No fancy "hair do". Maybe you should remind your lawyer how long you can sit. My lawyer said I should get up and stand at the table for a few minutes in the middle of the hearing. I wore a pair of pull up elastic waist pants and a matching top I have worn for at least 8 years. They were clean with no stains but faded.My lawyer said don't add anything to what is said but at the end of the hearing the judge asked me if I had anything to add. I blurted out --I don't like taking money like this. I like to work. But I just can't. Lawyer didn't like it too much but I got disability. I felt I was truthful.
  8. shmilycsc

shmilycsc New Member

thank you all for the encouragement and prayers.my representive call this morning. he told me to dress causal and no makeup or jewelry. he told me the correct way to answer the questions. i hope i rememberwhen i get there. like everyone else i have really bad concentration problems. poor hubby leaves me notes if he needs me to make a phone call for him.or have my daughters do things he needs done.

thank you all carolyn

GOD BLESS
  9. puppyfreak

puppyfreak New Member

That's something to say to the judge if you start feeling 'foggy' or can't remember the question. Be honest and let him know that it's your 'normal' self!
    I have moderately severe Carpal Tunnel and my hands started falling asleep and getting painful just sitting at the table during the hearing even though I was wearing splints. I think that was the clincher - they couldn't even find me a 'sit-down' job since my hands don't work well enough to do computer or phone work.
    Oh - I wore jeans and a sweatshirt that has a picture of the earth and 'Love Your Mother' on it. And I won my case.

Char