ALJ hearing What to wear?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bozey, Aug 7, 2005.

1. bozey

bozey New Member

I wasn't expecting such a quick ALJ hearing date. Here's my delima. I am very tan. Not from having fun in the sun but I am outside alot and I tan very easy.

Anyway, I think I will wear long pants to the hearing, but was wondering if it is ok to wear wind pants. The sorta sports jogging pants with the stripe down the side. This is the kind I always wear. Only elastic waist for me.

I don't want to look disrespectful to the judge at all but also know not to get fancied up. I haven't wore make-up in 2 years so that isn't going to happen anyway.

So what do you all think? Is jogging pants ok?

Thanks, bozey
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

when i went to my last alj hearing the attorney said dress like your sick, seat pants are fine. i have large breasts and the long sleeved matching sweatshirt, that matched my soft velvet pants was too sexy in her eyes and wanted me to wear her jacket while in there. even though it wasn't that sexy it was too snug and showed off my figure. it had a slit at the top of the neck that went about 3 inches down, it didn't show any cleavage what so ever. so just wear you pants and something not so snug and a nice t-shit would be nice. don't worry about hair and make-up. you don't want to look like you really care that much about your appearance. when and if i have to do it again, cause i have a pending case in the intial phase, i will wear some sort of sweat pants and a t-shirt. loose fitting one a pair of tennis shoes and if it is winter out or just plain cold i will wear a sweat shirt. jsut dress to be comfortable and hide your figure don't worry about wearing a suit like your going to an interview. it is very informal only you judge, you attorney, and a vocational couselor at most. no other people are in there oh maybe a ssdi doctor, had a ssdi in there on speaker phonei was in california and he was sitting in someother state looking at the medical evidence before and already reviewed then he may ask you questions and tell the judge his personal opion, and mine that i had told juge he was only about 10-20% competent to comment about the depression and anxiety stuff. he was a neurolgist so commented on how i couldn't use my arems and sitting and standing and how mamy appts a month would cause me to lose time at work a month. i won my case. it was a clsoed case. so i went t back to work in 10/04-12/04, now i have reapplied. hopefully i won't have to go through to the hearing level again. best of luck .
    jodie
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

To just get up and go without doing my hair or makeup. He wanted the judge to see how I look when I am too sick to put on a false face. He told me not to wear anything cutesy or perky. Wear something dark and loose. I wore a black tee shirt and a long black tee shirt knit skirt with black flats. It was perfect.

Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  4. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

I did not have to go before a ALJ, but no someone who did and the lawyer told them the same as Mikie is saying...

I would wear somthing compy...Long pants and long sleeve shirt to try to cover the Tan some...as sad as it is...the tan may be looked at like your out an about...fun in the sun.

No jewerly, no make up,no nail polish, and very simple plan hair style!!

Good Luck
    Hugs
    Bluerose
  5. bozey

bozey New Member

Great answers and just what I was lookind for. Thanks for your time. I just want everything to go smoothly and want it to be over with.

bozey
  6. Carollie

Carollie New Member

Mine is Wednesday, August, 31st. I'm outmymind in an anxiety attack!
    Carole
  7. bozey

bozey New Member

Mine is Aug 17. Makes you go crazy don't it? Just knowing our fate is in their hands!
  8. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I kind of agree with WakeMeUp. When my husband applied for disability, I went with him to the hearing. His attorney told him ( and me ) to dress plain, and not to wear any jewelry. Well, we did just that, and he lost anyway!

It dawned on me that just because a person has FM/CFS doesn't mean they wear sloppy looking clothes, or don't wear a ring or a watch. My husband had several back surgeries, and lived in terrible pain everyday, but when he went out, he still wore nice looking clothes.

I sure don't mean to get dressed up by any means, but you know those judges have caught on to what the lawyers tell their clients about how to look. To dress, and look they way the lawyers say to for the hearing would make me feel funny in front of the judge.

If it were me, I would comb my hair, put on just enough make up to look decent, and wear casual clothes.

I really think they will have more respect for a person if they can tell you're not trying to look pitiful.

These are just my thoughts on this. Like I said, I have not applied for disability myself, but I have been thru the entire process for months ( maybe it was years!) with my husband.

He was denied even though he has not been able to work for years due to pain, and he had only had the one job for 25 years, and had no other trade to turn to due to his education ( and other problems). Then we know someone that had pain in their hands, and was awarded disability. We have seen this lady out many times since then, and she seems to be leading a pretty normal life. Sometimes it's just the "luck of the draw". I knew one man that was in much worse shape than my husband, and they wouldn't even award disablity to him.

As they say "go figure"

Kinsie

[This Message was Edited on 08/08/2005]
    [This Message was Edited on 08/08/2005]
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Water therapy in a pool and sitting for 20 minutes every day in the sun to get one's vitamin D and set one's biological clock could explain the tan.

Love, Mikie