Alkaline/Acidic foods - have you noticed a difference?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by peachbunnee, Jan 8, 2006.

1. peachbunnee

peachbunnee New Member

Okay - I'm just recently finding out about this whole alkaline versus acidic foods. Turns out that just about everything I like is on the acidic list. Argh!

Has anyone changed their diet and experienced any positive changes?

If so, what did you experience?

Oh, and did you change to more alkaline foods or more acidic foods? (dumb question maybe?)

Thanks in advance for your feedback,

peach :)
  2. Jgavi

Jgavi New Member

yes, i stay away acidic foods as much as possible- it helps people in different ways. my case it helps digestive probs.

it stops cancer growth also.

there is a great guru guy at newstarget.com

all kinds of great info on keeping the body away from acidic foods....my firend had gout and as soon as he started dumping the acidic foods it went away!

also acid reflux....on and on....

try it!
    it wont hurt ya to clean up the body- it is a hard thing to avoid since so much of our foods are tainted.
  3. caroleye

caroleye New Member

When I was going through horrific pain with interstitial cystitis, I started monitoring my diet and measuring my urine ph. I was eating a mostly acidic diet.

Since shifting to mostly alkaline, my bladder pain has gone; don't get mouth sores anymore, and if I do go acidic, my body will give me a strong signal.

So yes, it helps me alot.

LIGHT***********carole
  4. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

I've been trying this since before CFS. It really helped by interstitial cystitis to heal. I'm trying to eat even more alkaline for the CFS now.
  5. peachbunnee

peachbunnee New Member

6. hope2001

hope2001 New Member

I am trying to find out more info, too!
  7. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

Yes it's been very helpful for me also. Most noticeable things were my immune system becoming very strong (don't get colds, sore throats anymore), and skin problems (eczema, fungal infections) mostly cleared up.
  8. hope2001

hope2001 New Member

I was tested recently at what I was told is the bottom of the readings for the PH test...I have a book and have tried to research the internet but
    THIS IS SO CONFUSING..
    If my reading is LOW
    does that mean LOW ACID
    OR
    LOW ALKALINE?

and when you see the foods lists they say acidic and alkalinic but I don't know if that means eat them or don't eat them...

I need like an idiots guide to a proper PH balance or something..
    CAN SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME A BASIC INTERPRETATION????
  9. hope2001

hope2001 New Member

Thanks for your answer, that is the easiest to understand I have seen so far. I copied it and cutnpasted it into Word document. I saw the other threads, too and that was nice to do. I also saw that thread about oxalates. I think maybe I am going to try the acid thing before I think about the oxalate thing, since I have never heard about it before.

I have to admit the acid/alkaline thing is still hard to get around, no WONDER I couldn't figure it out when I was FULL Fibro Fog!

Thanks so much,

Hope
  10. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

I'm trying at the moment to reach a balance between the two. Like you I tend to go for the acidic foods, so it's really hard.

Jgavi mentioned about gout and acidic foods, I'm going to let mum know as she suffers from this and try to get her to go more alkaline. Trouble is she loves her rhubarb!!

Cheers,
    Sue
  11. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

i REALLY want to thank you on your informative posts, just read your other very long one I want to print.

I was thinking this. As I am 59, food was still on rationing in the UK when I was a kid till I was seven. Almost all the foods available were on the alkaline side, with only small amounts on the acid side being available or affordable.

When I first came to the USA I wnet to the airport hotel near JFK and this man next to me was eating a steak that would have fed a whole family of six in the UK(and this was 1980 not post war!!!)

I have never understood the huge portions of food that are placed on plates here or the large amount of canned veggies being served. Unless one can find a good whole food restaurant. We have a wonderful take out deli nearby that serves the best foods, a good mix of lightly cooked and raw.

My son just brought home a bunch of health papers from the 5th grade health course at school and in with them was the school lunch menu-I had not seen one as he takes his own healthy lunch. The whole package was so out of line with health it was a joke.

On the top of the monthly sheet it said "EAT HEALTHY FOODS" and then listed a bunch of choices for each day for the month. I swear I could not see one healthy thing except apples and bananas(and I bet they are soaked in pesticides too) (I knew just by gut feeling that the peanut butter would be the sort stuffed with hydrogentated fats, and the wheat bread would be less healthy than eating a piece of newspaper.)

My son eats and loves brussels sprouts,cabbage salads, raw foods, etc etc as he has never been given anything else. When kids visit even relatives they yuk at the food and won't eat it, and it really tastes good. They are so used to corn syrup and chemicals.\The kids at school laugh at him when he opens his lunch pail and takes out his healthy foods-today was spelt and spinach pie, organic banana and an apple. He wanted MORE of the spinach pie for dinner too, and I must say it tasted pretty good.

Also, the kids are never given a chance to wash their hands prior to lunch(we give him a non commercial wipe in a baggie).

What is going to happen to this whole generation of kids who think that chicken nuggets and hot dogsn are foods they are being told are healthy????

I too, though am totally mixed up re how the food converts to acid/alkali is there a "Eating the right balance for Dummies book out there?" as I do think I got problems when I
    started eating different foods when I moved here and maybe my balance is out of whack, which would explain the acid stomach and IC.

You are a doll for taking such time.

Love Anne C

12. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

You can get ph strips and that can test saliva and/or urine. I've found them to be pretty accurate. And I can see a difference depending on what food or drink I've had. My fiance who is healthy always tests at an ideal alkaline, while I'm always much more acidic.

Jeanne
  13. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I wanted to add that I have a friend in Long Island who runs a CSA(Community Supported Agriculture). The local alternative school buys all the produce for their lunches from him, in turn he collects all the scraps and peelings from them,for the compost. The kids come in in early spring and plant the seeds in seed beds then later plant the rows.
    (great way to learn geography, science and math, etc.)

A local organically based horse farm supplies too on the barter system.

This man writes a book about it all(he is also a writer and poet), and how he got the land productive again. A lot of Long Island farm land was ruined by nematodes due to overcropping of potatoes.

I also have heard of a school in CA where the kids grow their own lunches.

Jamie Oliver in UK has just stepped up to try and make school lunches there better. They used to be great until about 20 years ago, when all the junk food came in.

I will try and get those strips to measure saliva. I also was thinking about a balance of acid/alkali on our plates. how that works.
    QUESTION:
    Does one get the runs through taking too much probiotic BYW and should one let it just run its course?Scuse pun LOL. Had it a few days now after taking lots of probiotic following the IC infection.

Love Anne C
  14. mars_xmu

mars_xmu New Member

The levels chang so you need to do a readings for 24 hours to get an accurate Ph reading.
  15. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

As usual you are full of good advice. I was scared on that CIPRO so I was eating good yoghurt and then adding an opened up capsule of probiotic to it about three times a day.

I am not rushing to go, it is when I DO go it is still runny as all get out. I use olive oil on my salads, and for everything else, so that is OK.

Thanks for the advice.

DH and I were just chatting about traditional old fashioned meals. For eg in UK if one ate roast pork, you would always do apple sauce, sage and onion stuffing, potatoes and usually brussels sprouts, lamb had mint sauce, cabbage maybe, and a baked potato, beef had horseradish, roasted potato and carrots and yorkshire pudding(like popovers), then all fruits usually had something with them, like egg custard or junket(don't ask!!!) There was always fresh fruit and salad and grated carrots etc. No huge helpings either. Lots of things like dried prunes and apricots not sulphured.

I think they were quite balanced as one would also only get one slice of the meat, not nearly a pound!!!!

Thanks for the advice. You don't think I got toxic shock do you? Feel Ok other than a chest and back pain I had since that chest probe.

Love Anne C