All American Dog Food, no imports ingredients..........

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Shirl, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi to all dog owners, I have been so concerned about the dog food poisoning, as I have three dogs, one is an American Bulldog 110lbs, I would cook there food for them, but am not well enough to do for my big girl.

So I searched the net for a food made in America, with only American ingredients in it.

If anyone is interested its called: Blue Buffalo dog food, you can reach them on the new with the name above, email them and they will tell you where in your area it can be purchased.

In Louisiana its 'Petsmart', and they do keep it stocked.

They also sell Cat food of the same quality.

Its a little more expensive than what I usually get, Purina One dry food.

Hope this helps someone save their pets life. I don't know how long this poisioning thing is going to go on, but I was very concerned for my three dogs.

Shalom, Shirl

2. budmickl

budmickl New Member

One of the cat food products from this company is on the recall list.
    Blue Buffalo Spa Select Kitten Dry Food

3. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

The list was updated this week and they added Blue Buffalo cat food, but not the dog food.

We use Flint River Ranch and the only imported item in it is the lamb in the lamb and rice formula. It comes from New Zealand. All ingredients in Flint River meet guidelines for human consumption.

However, I'm not sure "approved for human consumption" means much now that they have found the same poison, melamine, in hog feed for market hogs!

I'll stick with Flint River but for those of you who use something else, even the brands sold at the vet's office, I would consider either the Blue Buffalo (dog food only) or the Flint River. Check the websites. Both cost more than supermarket brands, but I'll spend a little extra for an excellant food. It has also saved me a lot of money in vet bills!

You should always make sure your pets food and treats are made in the USA. If the rawhide chew says on the package to "wash hands well after handling" I'm not letting my kids (the fuzzy ones) put it into their mouths!!

Thanks for the info Shirl!

Stop and smell the puppies!
  4. elliespad

elliespad Member

My Shar Pei Mitie Me was Dx. with Kidney Failure about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Her food was just recalled by Royal Canin, for RICE protein conentrate, which contained traces of a melamine derivative. So it's not just wheat that has been implicated. The food that I have fed is Sensible Choice Lamb & Rice Adult.

Other Royal Canin, Sensible Choice foods on the recall are:

ROYAL CANIN SENSIBLE CHOICE® (available in pet specialty stores nationwide)

Dry Dog Food
    - Chicken Meal & Rice Formula Senior
    - Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Puppy
    - Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Adult
    - Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Senior
    - Rice & Catfish Meal Formula Adult

ROYAL CANIN VETERINARY DIET™ (available only in veterinary clinics)

Dry Dog Food
    - Canine Early Cardiac EC 22™
    - Canine Skin Support SS21™

Dry Cat Food
    - Feline Hypoallergenic HP23™

5. budmickl

budmickl New Member

How is your baby doing from the poisoning? Well I hope!

6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Greenbean, thanks for the Flint River brand of dog food, always good to have more than one choice.

Elliepad how is your furkid doing? I will say prayer for your pup. What I could not fine out was what was the symptoms of the kidney problems.

The Vet's in my area are jammed up, lots of hunting dogs, and breeders out here having their dogs checked. I live in a small town.

The poison they found in the rice is; Aminopterin, its used in rat poison, and is banned in the USA, been banned for many years.

My husband was in China for almost a year, he said that the ship he is on (they were docked for months in Shekou China) was infested with rats, it was so bad that they were literally killing them with sticks, traps, poison, etc. was not helping.
    They are in Africa now, and guess whats keeping the rodents down?? probably you cat loves know, they have many cats on board the ship, almost no more rats left!

The Peoples Republic of China made an announcement to their people that 'rats were good to eat', trying to get rid of them. It was in their papers and also on our national news about a year ago.

The poison Melamine was in the Wheat Gluten imported from China. .

The rice in dog/cat food had the Aminopeterin in it also from China that was found in the rice.

From the news I heard the USA was sending FDA representives to China last week to test for these poisons as well as others in all areas of imported foods, dogs as well as humans.

Now they are concerned here about human food, as wheat gluten is in everything from bread to you 'name it'........No one seems to know if its imported or not, or they are not saying.

Anyone else know of different dog/cat foods that are made from products from America, Europe, other countries other than Asia?

Would be glad to hear the names.

Thank all of you for your replies.

I know we have a lot of animal lovers here, thanks for the information about the pigs. I will stay away from pork too!

Shalom, Shirl