ALL CAPS and paragraphs .

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BILLCAMO, Jun 16, 2008.

BILLCAMO New Member

When I 1st joined this forum , I used ALL CAPS. I did this intentionally because of my vision probs and I thought it would help others.

After I was here a little while , a very nice person informed me that ALL CAPS actually made it difficult for many to read my posts.

They also told me that breaking my posts into paragraphs by spacing would be another helpful way to allow people to read the posts.

I just thought it might be a good time to return that favor......

Blessings ,

[This Message was Edited on 06/16/2008]
  2. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

Yes, there are many posts I can't read due to the lack of spaces every few sentences. Thanks for the reminder. DE
  3. tonakay

tonakay New Member

bumpity bump... good reminder
  4. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

Thanks Bill, I can't read all caps or posts without paragraph breaks because the letters appear to jump about so.
  5. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

How do you make the type bold? I really like that!

If there are long paragraphs with no breaks I just can't read them anymore.

I came back to see if I can make BOLD. lol Hi!

Well I guess you don't do it this was here, rofl[This Message was Edited on 06/17/2008]
  6. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

does it work?

<color=red>yes!but how do you change the colour?</color>

[This Message was Edited on 06/18/2008]
  7. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

I like all caps also.I have vision problems. Ruthie
  8. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

I, too, have vision problems. I've changed the font on my computer to enlarge the size of the print. Don't ask me how I did that though. LOL It was quite a long time ago, and I just fooled around with it until I had it right.

Can someone advise about this?

9. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Your note says:Just change your [] to <>. Your text should then be bold.

I apologize but I just don't get it. Even copy-pasting your words above didn't make the ones you wrote in bold stay that way.

Up to now I've resorted to ALL CAPS for emphasis of a word or two in a sentence or as an attention getter in the Title line of a posted message.
    Would LOVE to know how [] is changed to <>!

Thanks in advance,

10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We tried to discourage the use of bold and colors because if a lot of people are doing it, it takes up memory space which can slow down a board. I know this website just got a new server or had an update so, perhaps, it wouldn't be the problem today that it was then.

I use bold and italics in posts rarely to emphsize words or phrases. Using all bold doesn't really help people to read. There are ways to increase the size of text on one's own computer for those who have vision problems. I'm sure some computer savvy person here can explain how to do it.

Bill is right about the all caps and lack of paragraph spacing. I am one of the ones who cannot read all caps nor posts with no paragraph breaks. I really appreciate it when people do that. Also, I hate to miss a good post because I cannot read the text.

BTW, for anyone who is bothered by moving icons, you can go to your profile page and shut off the animation at the bottom with a click.

Love, Mikie
  11. tansy

tansy New Member

bother my eyes. In some cases bold type appears to be used in the same way as caps on the internet generally ie it's as if the author is shouting or trying to dominate the discussions.

However, I do appreciate the links because they're so easy to identify within a message and all it takes is one click.

tc, Tansy
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I notice that at the top of the screen, where the "File," "Edit," etc. are located, if I click on "View" there is a way to increase or decrease text size.

Love, Mikie
  13. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Well, I tried all the suggestions including "go to View and select increase size of text...didn't work.

I give up.

Wishing to emphasize a thought or not, it seems to be a concensus here that ALL CAPS or bold (oh how I wish I could make the "bold" thing work!) are not easy for them to read.

So from now on since we don't have an underline and I don't even know how to change colors so the people who were concerned about that don't have to worry, any reader of my blatt can infer emphasis if they wish to.

14. mezombie

mezombie Member

Nofool--Thanks for the tip about using the Control and + key simultaneously to enlarge the text!

Mikie--I've been using the View and Page functions to enlarge text, but these don't seem to change the text size much, even when they're set to "largest text".

What's nice about using the Control and + keys is that one can do this several times until the text is the best size for the reader.

I did this for this post, and it really is helping!

A computer-illiterate zombie
    [This Message was Edited on 06/26/2008]
  15. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Thanks Bill!
    Reading posts that are written in all CAPS is very difficult to read! If reading your own post is difficult and that's why you type that way, sometimes just double spacing helps tremdously.

I know no one does it to have poor etiquette, but in email, as someone else mentioned, all caps represents shouting.

Throwing a paragraph or two in there helps a lot as well!

What's worse or harder for me to read, is absolutely zero punctuation. Just using a period every so often is SO helpful. =) With all of our brain fog/ comprehension problems, sometimes following long run on thoughts is hard.

Not being critical at all! Please, I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. It's just that sometimes I have to skip posts entirely because I can't read through them.

BILLCAMO New Member

so that more of us could read the important things that YOU have to say. A lot of valuable info has been shared on this thread.

I hope that no one was offended by this helpful info.

And all can still pass Go and collect your $200. LOL :>)

Your's in lower case AND paragraphs ! ;>0

Blessings ,