All Illnesses are emotionally based?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrohugslife, Apr 12, 2006.

1. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

I DON'T THINK SO!!!! and this is what a classmate told me in my new class today LOL. She recommended a book written by this woman that believes all illnesses are emotionally based and that was just a slap in the face to me. I told her that if my ailments were emotionally I would have been healed long ago but there is enough medical proof that it is not emotionally based. I know the book is spiritually based. I told her that I will be healed in time and that this illness has been a blessing in many ways as it has taught me how to persevere, become a woman of strength, and how to have full faith and hope.

I know some people feel like they are trying to help but at the same time it was just this easy dismissal to what is real. I was just like oh man I hope she is not in my learning team group LOL.

Nicole
    [This Message was Edited on 04/12/2006]
  2. painandagony

painandagony New Member

knew.

This person came up to me and asked me if I had some troubles with my parents growing up, that it's gotta be some emotional issue from childhood that I've never recovered from.

If that's all it is, i'd be fine. Thanks for nothing.

Another story, a really good friend of mine, who I thought really understood my illness, told me the other day, that once I have a child, maybe I'll get better because of all the love I will feel. What? I know I might get better during pregnancy, but love? If love cured this illness, I'd be fine. Unbelievable, that this illness is so confusing to people.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/12/2006]
  3. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Some are, but FM/CFS, don't think so at all. The fact that some had heavy stress as one of their triggers is incidental, and only the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

My doctor believes FM is emotionally rooted, and is suffered by sexual abuse victims, and that's why so many are woman. I was taken aback. I told him there is much better and groundbreaking research out there. and that Fibro as Neurasthena (thought to be a neurotic woman's disease by shrinks from the 1800's, and so named) is outdated, and now disproved info, and not even my shrink believes it. I'll be changing doctors, needless to say.

Jeanne
  4. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

When I read her post to me I was like ugh and it just really rubbed me the wrong way and let her know it in a nice professionally and educational way.

To dismiss all illnesses like that is just so unreal. There are some illnesses that are emotionally based but not everything. I think people just like to sweep things under the rug and not deal with them head on.

Nicole
  5. sues1

sues1 New Member

My brother has severe RA and he has persisted for years and worked hard. Gave his family a good life, always there for others. Everyone loves him. Sometimes his wife would have to dress him in the morning as he could not and he would go off to work then and how he did it we do not know. Swollen and twisted painful joints,etc.

A well meaning and loved Uncle once told my brother that
    he "Only needed faith and trust in the Lord".....

My brother said that he never felt like he wanted to hit a man like he did that day.....Brother said..
    "What do you think has gotten me this far"?

Blessings.......
  6. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Thank you so much for your message. Well I have to deal with her for five weeks sooooo it will be quite interesting. I am just hoping that I will not be placed in a group with her as THAT will probably drive me crazy LOL and I would be stuck with her in that group for 5 weeks.

There is one other person that is disabled also in the class, so I already have a connection with that person.

Whoa--my left leg just jerked lol....I hate it when that happens...I think that is a sign for Yoga time! LOL

Anyway yes some emotions do contribute, and you can feel worse and such and for me I have worked hard on not being so depressed, but just thinking more positively, and counting all the things that I have to be grateful for, etc.

Those comments as I have gotten that majorly from others telling me that I am not praying hard enough or reading my bible enough or hoping enough or having enough faith and yes it is true only God knows that one. I actually left the church I attended at because of that type of persecution as it was wearing me down and I had no support from them, and I remember that hurting a lot but forgave them for that. I hope someday to find a new church to go to when I feel well enough to go around for that.

I am doing whatever I can do, and that is the best thing that I can do.

Many hugs,
    Nicole
  7. Thistledown

Thistledown New Member

As with any illness, state of mind can influence how well you feel or cope, but once an illness has physical manifestation, you need to treat the physical! If there happens to be an "underlying emotional issue", deal with it later, fix the physical stuff.

Years ago I did a research paper on lupus (SLE) and the theory behind why mostly women get it is because women are exposed to more "foreign" tissue in their lifetime (sperm, cells from the placenta that linger in the uterine wall, etc.), triggers for an autoimmune reponse.