ALL IN OUR HEADS - NO WAY

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mellow, Sep 29, 2002.

1. mellow

mellow New Member

I find it incredible that so often we are told that there is nothing wrong with us physically and we are packed off to see a psychiatrist, who then tells us we are depressed and need medication. How can so many people experience the same symptoms? When I found this board I couldn't believe what I was reading - there were more people out there like me suffering the same way. Until then I thought it was just me and the way I was. I now know that there is a lot more to this illness than "it being in your head". You begin to think you are imagining different symptoms but when I read the posts I realise that we all seem to have the same symptoms - some more, some less. I know that stress is not good for us and that we are more sensitive to most things that other people don't notice e.g. weather changes, drug sensitivities, noise, light, etc. Because our tests usually come back as normal this illness gives no leads as to where to start treating the people with it.
    Its great to be able to come to this board and know that you're not alone, that the pain is real as are the rest of the symptoms you are experiencing. I hope the medical profession looks at this messageboard and takes us seriously (there are still those who don't) and can come up with an answer in the not too distant future.

Mellow
  2. mellow

mellow New Member

I find it incredible that so often we are told that there is nothing wrong with us physically and we are packed off to see a psychiatrist, who then tells us we are depressed and need medication. How can so many people experience the same symptoms? When I found this board I couldn't believe what I was reading - there were more people out there like me suffering the same way. Until then I thought it was just me and the way I was. I now know that there is a lot more to this illness than "it being in your head". You begin to think you are imagining different symptoms but when I read the posts I realise that we all seem to have the same symptoms - some more, some less. I know that stress is not good for us and that we are more sensitive to most things that other people don't notice e.g. weather changes, drug sensitivities, noise, light, etc. Because our tests usually come back as normal this illness gives no leads as to where to start treating the people with it.
    Its great to be able to come to this board and know that you're not alone, that the pain is real as are the rest of the symptoms you are experiencing. I hope the medical profession looks at this messageboard and takes us seriously (there are still those who don't) and can come up with an answer in the not too distant future.

Mellow
  3. herblady

herblady New Member

yes so many people have to go through this. it's a shame. but dr.s hate to admit when they can't figure something out. most of them have a god complex. this is definitely a good place to come to to vent. i'm fortunate, my dr. takes my fm, palindromic rheumatism and arthritis very seriously. she's very sympathetic. cindi
  4. Dara

Dara New Member

there are still a lot of people out there who think it's nothing but hypochondria. I had a doctor say to me "So, you have aches and pains, huh?" Stupid idiot, everybody suffers at one time or another from aches and pains, it's not the same, as we all know. I went to my PCP for over 20 years with lists and numerous complaints, it was just in the last 4 or 5 years that he said he thought I had Fibromyalgia. Up to that point I had never even heard of it. I agree with you about this board, it really does help, doesn't it? You know you can post something without being ridiculed or getting that funny look that we sometimes see. Welcome to this board, I am also fairly new and it has been a life saver finding it. The people who are on here are absolutely wonderful, no put downs, just understanding.

Dara