All is lost - update

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shari1677, Jul 9, 2009.

1. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

Thank you ALL who responded to my first post. It was so uplifting!

I live in PA. I have ALREADY moved unfortunately, so I'm thinking any sort of legal recourse will be null and void. I agree with most of you in that, I had no car, and he new I was very ill - that should have counted for something. I'm wondering now if I could go to court and recoup some expenses - or better yet - sue him for "emotional/physical" stress because I also had to take 2 days off of work (Monday and Tuesday). I did work Wednesday and I am working today, but, I am so gosh darn tired and in pain I am nowhere near my quota and will suffer quite a loss financially.

So - what to do now?

Thank you all again for your responses thus far.
  2. aftermath

aftermath New Member

It appears that the law in PA requires 30 days notice for an eviction. Looks like the landlord definitely breached this duty in your situation.

You need to read up on the Pennsylvania Landlord-Tenant Act of 1951.

The following pages contain a summary of the section as it pertains to you.

Consider filing a lawsuit against him in small claims court.

The PA Attorney General's Office should be able to tell you what damages you can sue for:

Best of luck.

3. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

Thank you so much aftermath for taking the time to put this together for me. I'm kinda idiotic in the legal area.....actually, since my FM, I feel kinda idiotic about everything.
  4. nink

nink New Member

Don't beat yourself up, Shari. I can't begin to count the number of dumg things I have done, or smart things I have failed to do, in my life -- especially since these DDs pretty much took over. I have misplaced checks made out to me until they have expired (I do try to get those re-issued, but it's a lot less work just to keep track of them and deposit them within a month or so). Payments made at the last second, or late, with a hefty fee attached. When an electrician who was working in my attic put his foot down between the studs and left a 5 foot long crack in my ceiling, instead of saying, "Well, I'm sure your company has insurance to repair that kind of problem, " I was afraid he would sue me! How dumb can you get?

Try to recoup some of the loss you have suffered through your illegal eviction if you can. In my state, those sorts of matters are handled by small claims courts, and "pain and suffering" cannot be considered, only monetary loss. Perhaps you have a friend or family member who can help you work your way through the process.

As I said before, prayers are being said for you and your daughter. How is she doing?