ALL LIVING IN FLORIDA APPLYING FOR SSD/OR RECEIVED

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fp3657@aol.com, Oct 12, 2002.

1. fp3657@aol.com

fp3657@aol.com New Member

I HAVE APPLIED FOR SSD/ IN MY SIXTH MONTH...HAVE GONE TO SSD (D.O. ) DOCTOR AND PHSYC... HAVE AN ATTRNY DOING WORK FOR ME.. ANYONE BEEN APPROVED AND HOW LONG DID IT TAKE/ ANY GOOD INPUT ON TIPS?????I HERE IT IS VERY HARD TO GET IT IN FLORIDA...
    [This Message was Edited on 10/12/2002]
  2. fp3657@aol.com

I HAVE APPLIED FOR SSD/ IN MY SIXTH MONTH...HAVE GONE TO SSD (D.O. ) DOCTOR AND PHSYC... HAVE AN ATTRNY DOING WORK FOR ME.. ANYONE BEEN APPROVED AND HOW LONG DID IT TAKE/ ANY GOOD INPUT ON TIPS?????I HERE IT IS VERY HARD TO GET IT IN FLORIDA...
    [This Message was Edited on 10/12/2002]
  3. achy

achy New Member

Also, what PART of Fla are you in..
    I am in NW Fla
    FM/CFIDS/Asthma/Chron. Sinusitis/Carpal Tunnel
    Applied July 1, 2002
    taking SS doctors exams (3) next month
    No lawyer yet, haven't been denied

I will get it. I am positive.
    Achy
  4. LuvMeCritters

LuvMeCritters New Member

I'm in W. Central FL and applied on 8/2. No lawyer either. My Dx's are chronic depression, chronic fatigue syndrome, and fibromyalgia. I applied online. Got a call last week from my claim adjudicator in Tampa, asking about my depression/panic attacks. Asked if I was seeing anyone for them, which I thought was weird, cause I know my counselor already sent them the info they asked for, and I listed her on my paperwork. Anyway, after a few minutes he found her in my paperwork and asked if she was a MD. I said no she's a LMHC. So, before he could say I want you to see one of our psychiatrists, I said, my PCP as referred me to a psych doc and I have an appt on the 24 of this month. He took down the doc's name/number/address. He told me to call him right after the appt, and to inform the doc that SSA would be contacting him about the visit. I think seeing these doctor's is the last part of the procedure? Does anyone know for sure? Good luck to all of us.

Regina :)
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I applied for SSDI in W. Central, Florida in January of 1986. My dx at that time was Fibromyalgia. It wasn't unitl 1995 that it was discovered that I also had severe brain damage from the accident that triggered the FMS. If we had known, I might have won sooner. I won at the hearing level, with a lawyer, after two denials, and a 13 month total wait, and became one of the first 17 people in the U.S. to get SSDI for FMS. That was the first year anyone ever got it for FMS.
    The psych. evaluation is pretty standard anytime you have an illess that can't be proven with tests. It actually helps you if they find something psyhological because it's easier to get it for psych than for physical illness. Go figure.
    If you have to go to the hearing to win, make sure you go to the hearing looking like you just climbed out of the grave. No makeup please! Wear a color you look awful in. I borrowed a purple blouse from my mother-in-law, and put pressed powder a shade lighter than my skin all over my face and my hair (to dull it).
    I think it's worth having a lawyer because they think of things to submit to help your case, like in my case they got my boss to write a letter to the hearing judge telling him what a hard worker I was and how I had never even called in sick before this. Also, the lawyer brought up several points at the hearing that I would not have thought of in my terrified state, like that I have awful allergies and when I often have to take allergy meds with meds for my FMS, I cannot possibly drive, so how could I get to work? Of course, way back then, personal computers had not been invented and people didn't work at home a lot like now!
    Best of luck to you.
    Klutzo
  6. jetmek

jetmek New Member

hi achy what part of NW floriduh you in im in crestview between Pepsicola and Talahasseeee im looking for a support group around here idf ya have any info id like to know thanks
    Jenny
  7. fp3657@aol.com

what kind of questions do they ask you at the hearing...........
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I applied in early 2000. My hearing is scheduled for Dec. 9. I am having trouble getting what I had thought was an excellent attorney to get back to me. I have had four docs verify in writing that I am disabled according to SS's own Listing 1.02 which the atty told me would make SS have to grant the award. I'm not so sure he's as great as he makes people believe when they first meet him. He was referred to me by a client. I'm going to insist on talking with him this week.

Love, Mikie
  9. achy

achy New Member

I am N. of pensacola...way out in the boonies and love it.

I know there is a support group at Gulf Breeze Hospital...too far for me. Call your Arthritis Association and they can tell you where they meet. Ask for a copy of their magazine too...tell them you heard the last one had an article on fibro. It was pretty good.
    Nice to meet ya. feel free to e-mail me
    e_cferg@hotmail.com

Achy
  10. dojomo

dojomo New Member

A Social security Disability Representative named Mary Lou Warren on Seminole Blvd helped me get SSD without going to a judge. She is very sweet and a firm believer in the Illness........She isn't a lawyer , but she DID help me win my case....DJ