all suggestions needed/SS Disability Doc.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by joannie1, Feb 28, 2003.

1. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

I need some advise as how to prepare for a disability phychiatrist i am to see on the 12th of March. It has been two years plus since I have been sent to one from Disability and even worse he's the same one i seen last time actually. But should I be doing something such as a journal of somekind or something? My biggest thing is what if i am having a good day that day? I am so nervous about this.
    Any and all advise i truly appreciate.
    Hugs,
    Joannie
  2. dan0248

dan0248 New Member

I'd get ready by rereading as many pages on this board, and I mean read them over and over the ones that could be you hurting that badly. You also need to keep a daily diary, and I mean a good one, not one telling them I got up, peed ate went to work, or spent the day on the coach. It needs to be about waking up every 30 to 40 minutes because of the body pain, It needs to tell the whole story of your day. You are writing a book, it’s up to you to either make it a best seller or a bomb. How many times have you read a book and then go see the movie, and come away saying that the book was better. You need to sell this person that book and then wait to see who they cast to play you. You need to see this person as someone who can help you, but only if you show him or her what you put up with everyday, 24/7. Just be straight and truthful; do not try to B/S your way around with this person. Talk at a level that you are comfortable with. You need to use plain English, unless you are a collage graduate type person. Do not talk down to this person, do not try to impress who ever your with your with and knowledge unless like I said before you have the paper to back it up. Most of these people want straight dialect; they want eyeball to eyeball. And last but just as important as the other steps, you need to dress for the part as well. That would mean dress, make up, and if you have problems with certian meds that might make you look or sound out of it, tey to see if you can skip them for a while. I'm sure by the time I get this finish you'll already have about 6 or 7 replys. I have F/M and it realls messes up my hands as well as other things. Good luck.
  3. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

need more advise from those who have been through this already...
    Thanks,
    Joannie
  4. srollins

srollins New Member

Dear Joannie, I am new to this message board thing,but after reading some of your posting I couldn't stop wondering about you and how you made out with your disability claim. As some one who just went through it less than a year ago I can relate to what it has done to your whole being. It was so hard to have to drive downtown nearly at the crack of dawn in the first place but then to have to face the rest knowing that my future was in the hands of these strangers. I thought I would come apart at the seams. I did have one thing happen that helped better than anything and that was that I knew that I had won my claim before leaving the building.Although I have suffered with Fm/Cf my claim was based on Depression.
    Anyway I do hope you get your approval and get over this bump in the road as those of know with FM there are allot of bumps,(big and small) Sincerely, Shirley
  5. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

Thank you for sharing with me your experience with the mess of Disability. I have been fighting this for three years. I had to re-apply again this year due to a judge that was a jerk. In my last claim all four of their Doctors that read over my reports stated they felt i was not diagnosed properly and at the time I did not have my FMS diagnosis. But the Doctors also in their opinions felt I was indeed disabled. However they do leave it to the judge to decide and he denied me. There was 20 Doctors at the time that I had seen and errors i was not aware of in their reports which i was denied my claim because of.
    This time around has been much harder for me I feel because of the fact I remember what the system can do and what the emotions are like when you receive the denial letters in the mail. When I received the letter sent a few weeks ago about seeing their shrink i actualy went into a panick attack because i fear the denails. i struggle to be productive and with trying to help my husband keep up our home and raise our three children. i have made attempts to return to work and i can not do it. So, I feel that this time around is much more emotional and much worse knowing what can actually happen. Our lives and future are in their hands. I just went through the shrinks interview and on Friday he called to get more info on his report because I was in such and emotional state he was confused with my answers. When he was ready to hang up he said he wanted to be sure his letter was very accurate and complete and said he hoped that his letter was helpful for my approval. I have a good feeling about him but it does have to get through the examiner. I feel that this Doctor does remember he did see me with the last claim and really wanted to be complete and more exact on his opinions of my situations and conditions.
    I hope and pray anyways,
    Thanks for posting,
    Joannie
  6. srollins

srollins New Member

I know that you feel like you are on aroller coaster.
    I am sorry if I have missed this infor somewhere but I'll ask again and know that you know how this fog can be LOL
    But Do you have an attorney that specializes in SS claims? If you don't GET ONE!!!Don't try to do this alone.If you do have one I have to wonder why you are having such a problem. Although for me I was not granted my claim for FM but for depression. That was decision my attorney made. We included the FM and CF but she really zeroed in on the depression.And when the answer came in the mail ,it said it was granted because of the depression. What ever you do Do not try to work while you are in the middle of all this. Gosh I hope things get better for you. I have thought about you alot since I found this site. Take care of you and I'll be watching for you to see how you are doing. SHIRLEY