All these vitamins and minerals

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shazzy, May 25, 2003.

1. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Hi everyone,

I sat looking at all the vitamin and minerals i put down my throat each day and wondered if they helped, were they a waste of money and were all of them doing more harm than good?
    Anybody know the answer to these questions.
    This is what i take.

1. Zinc 15mg
    2. Co-enzyne Q10 60mg
    3. Vit E 400mg
    4. Magnesium 500mg
    5. Calcium 500mg
    6. EPA Fish oil 1000mg
    7. Vit c 120mg
    8. Vit b complex 50mg
    9. Bit B12 1000 uj (what ever uj means)

Interested to know if im not the only one with so many.

shazzy
  2. 2girls

2girls New Member

I agree with Barb on this. I was reading an interesting article in our local paper on the weekend which basically said supplements were in fact useless - we get enough from the food we consume. Studies have shown that people consuming supplements on a regular basis had no more chance of living longer than those who do not. This is one person's study/opinion. I say, if it makes you feel proactive then go for it. I take them and I have no clue whether or not they help, but I feel better knowing I can do something. I must say, I have stopped experimenting with various supplements as the cost can be great.

Whatever makes you feel good!
    2girls
  3. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

My problem is what do I need? One gal sent all her tests to well known lab, Had to pay for it herself. Found she was not lacking any. She did this before spending alot of $$$.

I took b-12 shots for awhile,though at 1st felt alittle better. When b-12 was checked I was way off the chart it was so high.

Also after watching program taking reputable co,`s most of the capsules had half than what was quoted , some had none of the product. Melatonin was a big affender in all tests.

I also wonder where they get some of these bark tings etc. Are they even more toxic to inject in our body???
  4. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

I am very careful about what I take because you never know if it may damage something like your liver.
    I take a CFS/FM multi vitamin from immunesupport and that is it.
    I have taken some other things in the past with no change.
    I certainly have no extra money to spend. Some will say , yes but it's your health. You don't understand, I don't have the money. Rent, gas to drive to work, etc. have to come first. No I can't give up clothes shopping or entertainment because I don't spend money on that. (the internet access is provided because I live with other people who pay for it) My budget is bare bones.

I do want to try a super food some time but will see when I can afford it.

It seems these things help some people and that is wonderful!
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

....are the digestive enzymes & probiotics. I also take things like glutathione (with Vit. C) & selenium & fish oil, but because I was tested by my doctor (who is very thorough) & I was deficient in those things. BTW, testing is helpful, because it also showed things that I had an abundance of (like iron) & did NOT need to be taking. I also take magnesium & calcium & a good liver detoxifier, and B-vits & B-12-----again, testing showed I lacked enough of these things.

How much does it help? Good question----but at least I feel pretty confident that I'm not taking stuff I don't actually NEED in my body.....and I guess, for me personally, I'd rather be carefully choosing supplements, than using prescription meds. But that's just a personal choice on my part, and I'm not against using meds when needed (and many need them) and in fact, I have a prescription for migraines that I occasionally use.

Can you get enough of these things from your diet? A good theory, if you are eating a perfectly balanced diet. But some of us can't eat all the food sources of these vitamins & supplements. I can't get my calcium, for example, from anything but veggies (dairy/gluten allergies) and yogurt's out as a source of healthy bacteria (yes, soy yogurt, too---allergic) so probiotics are a great alternative for me. I still strive for a healthy diet-----and actually, even though I'm allergic to easily 80% of what I used to eat, I'm probably eating healthier than before, because I'm eating all fresh food, no packaged junk, etc.

I agree that we are often wondering if supps are worth the expense----especially if you aren't certain if your body even needs it. Wish insurance covered this stuff (tho if it did, the prices would skyrocket even more!)

Hugs,
    Pam
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Cent #1 - If you only have cash for one thing, take digestive enzymes so you can absorb the nutrients from your food. Then you aren't as likely to be deficient in things. (This does not apply if your idea of food is a doughnut and a cup of coffee, or a Big Mac and fries...in that case you need loads of supplements and all our prayers as well!).

Cent #2 - It is impossible to get the recommended amt. of Vitamin E from food, unless you want to sit at home all day shovelling your mouth full of nuts, seeds, oils and wheat germ....blech!

OK, I'll shut up now :) Klutzo
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Shazzy, I can honestly tell you, that I do most definately feel better from the supplements. If you asked my husband, he would say a very big 'YES'! He has lived with me for 30 years, and I have FM for over 20 of the 30.

When he calls me, the second thing he asks is 'did you take your 'stuff' today'??? The first thing is; 'how do you feel?', then the supplements, after this he says; 'I love you and miss you' (he works for an oil company and is gone a lot)!

But like Klutzo said, if you don't eat properly, then you need them. I don't eat junk food(a Mc Donold's burger would kill me), but I never eat enough of anything to get any benefits from food. What a normal person would eat in a day, it would take me almost a week to eat. I just don't care to eat, and my stomach does not hold a lot of food at one time. Been like this all my life.

Sooooooooo, heres goes;

What I take.............................. 03/21/03 01:10 PM
    I take mainly,supplements, herbs, vitamins, etc. The only med I take is Xanax, low dose (0.25 milligrams) at 6pm for racing brain syndrome. It can also be taken with OTC's Advil gel caps, the Xanax enhances the effect of the Advil, and it is a great pain reliever. BUT do keep in mind that Xanax can be very addictive if used consistantly.

Xanax is an anti anxiety drug, a rather old one. It is addictive, but I only use it once a day, or if I feel an attack coming on.

I have listed below what I take, hope it is helpful. If you have a question, please feel free to ask me, be glad to help.

Shalom, Shirl

Product; Ultra B-Complex (High Potency with Folic Acid)
    (1 capsule after or during lunch) This helps with brain fog, and energy too.

Product; 800IU's of Natural Vitamin E
    (For numbness, heart, blood etc)

Product; Ester C 500 milligrams
    (antioxidant, helps prevent colds, virus etc.)

Product; ZMA (zinc, magnesium, Vitamin B-6)
    For sleep, deep sleep also helps with muscle pains.
    (2 capsules at 10pm )

Product; Jarro-Dophilus (Probotics)
    3 a day for IBS, replaces good bacteria

Product; Melatonin (5milligrams)
    To help fall asleep, take right before bedtime.

All the above can be bought from Pro Health, be sure to ask for a free catalog/Newsletter too. If you want to call the number is; 1-800-366-6056 or you can order on-line. Just go to the 'Store' link on the top right of this page for additional information on supplements.

Product; Essiac Herbal Tea by Resperin Corp.
    This is a blood/liver cleanser. It is also known as a cancer cure/preventive.
    I take two ounces in the morning two ounces at night.
    Can be bought at most health food stores and Supplement catalogs.

Product; Polynesian Pure Noni Juice
    (I take one teaspoon before breakfast, one before lunch for my IBS, it is a great product). I order it by the case!
    Can be bought in most health food stores, be sure you get the 'pure' juice or it won't work.

Product; Natural Calm put out by 'Natural Vitality'
    This is a powdered Magnesium Citrate.
    (I take a teaspoon a day for pain, especially spasms . But don't take too much it will give you diarrhea).

This is about it for the time being, as for a multi vitamin, I have trouble digesting them, so I drink two cans of Ensure a day for the multi.

Also, I drink half my body weight in ounces of water per day, along with a quarter teaspoon of Sea Salt. This has helped with severe sinus headaches, and it seems to have helped the Fibro Fog too.

Here is some good advice; I strongly recommend you add ONE thing at a time for at least a week or two, this way if you have a problem with a product/supplement, you know what is causing it. If you try to take too much at once then if you have a problem, you would have to quit everything and start over again.
    I learned this the hard way, so though I would pass on this wise advice!

It took me years to get the right things that I could take. Wasted a lot of money on eyerything from doctors, prescription meds, and vitamins and herbs too.

Just remember, we are all different, so some of what I take might not be the right thing for you. It really is trial and error with these illnesses.

Hope this helps, and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I am usually here everyday, but not at a special time.

PS, always buy the best supplements you can afford, as you really get what you pay for with supplements. Pro Health has some of the best ones I have ever taken, and I am not just promoting them, its the truth. I have taken there products before I ever heard of this board.

8. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

and I feel better than I have for months!

1. 3 oz./day of Body Balance (liquid)has everything your body needs for a day.

2. 2400 mg. of Osteoprocare (liquid calcium) working my way up to 3600mg./day

3. Colostrum (4 caps/day) builds up immune system

4. Thera-Fibron (6 caps/day) prevent migraines-works for me.

That's is for supplements.

If you can take anything in liquid form, your body can aborob it so much better than pill form. I've heard your body absorbs about 10% of pill & about 98% of liquid. Don't know if it's true or not. That's why the Body Balance & Osteoprocare. The Colostrum & Thera-Fibron are powder inside a capsule.

That's it for me.

Take care........Kathi

9. fibrorebel

fibrorebel New Member

I found myself with extreme malabsorbtion a while back and have been helped by digest. enzymes, magnesium, calcium, and a few others. I also am a true believer in juicing for optimum health and nutritional needs. There are several things non-medical and free to use as a guide as to what you are in need of. Between IBS and malabsorption, I see the evidence in my nails, hair, skin, energy levels, and blood sugar levels. love and peace, Rebel