All this worrying about the H1N1 shot

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Spacey, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Spacey

Spacey Member

All this worring about the shot and you can't get it anyway. I'm in Canada and what a disgrace. All this scarying people for about the last year and now you have to line up for 4 to 6 hours to get the shot, but No wait we don't have enough, anyway. Might get one by Christmas. Giveme a break, most of us will probably of had it by then anyway, Spacey
  2. UsedtobePerkyTina

UsedtobePerkyTina New Member

People are worried about neurological effects of getting the H1N1 shot. How about the neurological problems people may get from catching XMRV from receiving a blood transfusion. With all the controversy over H1N1 shots, which has received coverage, the bigger threat is the XMRV.

The news media needs to be on this. It's up to us to get the attention of the news media. The scientists need to stay busy doing science instead of calling the news people. That's our job.

3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

This isn't just a problem here in Canada; it also exists in the US and probably the rest of the world. Barack Obama expressed his frustration with the slow pace of production in the US. We have never had a situation like this before. Record numbers of people are turning out to get the H1N1 flu shot and the manufacturer can't keep up with the demand. In Canada, not only is the manufacturer producing the H1N1 flu shot, they are now also manufacturing the regular flu shot at the same time. To quote the Chief Public Health Officer, "the H1N1 campaign is being delivered in 'real time' meaning that they are producing it, testing it, distributing it, and giving it to people all at the same time. It is something that nobody has ever actually had to deal with before in this kind on context. It's the largest immunization campaign in history". We have to remember that everyone involved is doing the best that they can; we just have to be patient.

Are you by any chance in AB? I know from watching the news yesterday that there were really long lineups in Calgary and people were being turned away early in the morning after having waited since about 3 am. I gather the people running the clinics were not organized at all.

I'm fortunate that here in BC for those of us with chronic health conditions, we can go to our GPs and get the H1N1 shot from them rather than waiting in lines at the clinics.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/01/2009]
  4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

At this time XMRV is not a bigger threat than H1N1. People are dying from this flu who would not normally be affected by the flu virus; young children, mothers with babies and toddlers who will never get to know their moms; teenagers.
  5. UsedtobePerkyTina

UsedtobePerkyTina New Member

I was not saying the XMRV is a bigger threat than H1N1. I am saying XMRV is a much bigger health threat to the population than the concern that the H1N1 vaccine will harm you. And that has gotten lots of coverage also.

6. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

We have to bear in mind the news media is prone to obsessive over exposure of negative news.