All those horsey chicks out there

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by WendyC, Apr 5, 2006.

1. WendyC

WendyC New Member

I am a horsey chick (used to say equestrian). I love art and used to be athletic. Lets forget about our illness for a while and now that it is spring, talk horses and how we manage with our illness to do these things. Just a suggestion.
  2. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

There are a number of horsey chicks and ex-horsey chicks on this board. If you do a search on ‘horse’ maybe you will find some of the previous posts. I am one of the ‘ex’s who no longer have the energy or money for a horse. Since I don’t have a horse of my own, I enjoy hearing about other peoples‘ horses. Why don’t you tell us about yours?
  3. Countrymom

Countrymom New Member

We have them and love them dearly.

We have several in foal and due soon, so we will hear the pitter patter of fresh new hooves any day now!!

My husband and I are going to Lexington Ky to Keeneland to watch the spring meet. Just for 2 days though, not the whole meet!!

Anyone ever been to the rolex? Man I used to love that. I used to volunteer as a worker and go the whole wqeekend!! What great memories. I haven't ridden in years, but my girls do!
  4. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

I am getting ready to sell my TB/Percheron dressage/event horse who hasn't been ridden regularly in 5 years. Sigh. At least I still have my darling AQHA mares who are so helpful with working the cattle.
    But I haven't been able to ride in the pickup, much less on a horse for 6 months, following my own ruptured intestine and ensuing emergency surgery. So much scarring they had to chisel my innards out of me. Innards do not care to be chiseled, by the way. So I am earthbound and not able to travel, or ride for a long while. Time to find my dear big horse a loving home.
    Tibbie
  5. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

I used to raise Morgans. I have been horseless
    for 8 yrs. Only because I lost my family in 13 months time
    and didt have time for him and 2 houses.

But, I have been searching for one again. WHen life settles
    down ( laughs to myself). and I feel better.......

6. lardsgirl

lardsgirl New Member

I kept a few of my old brushes and have them in a zip-lock bag....when I need a fix I get them out....used to raise Arabians...Volunteered for years at a theraputic horse farm and stop by the neighbors for a horse contact...Can't bring myself to sell my equiptment...just hoping??? Went to a site yesterday and found a cd by Robert Vavra(famous horse photographer) and the cd has horse backround sounds and I have to order it...There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of man. Happy Trails!!!! Lardsgirl
  7. WendyC

WendyC New Member

I am so sorry that some of you have had to give up your horses. I know that struggle. I have kept my two, despite the cost and the inability to ride very often. I have a TB appaloosa cross and a paint. Used to ride English but now very interested in western. Used to compete hunter/jumper but now love trail riding. My TB appy is a big boy at about 16.1 or 16.2. I bought him as a three year old untrained and his training is way behind. Just don't have the strength. He is very affectionate and curious but a real handful. A bit hot, very stubborn. He challenges you all the time. But I love him. He is a near leopard with 4 black socks and black ears. Friends call him my supermodel, with issues of course. The paint is my husbands. Very submissive but a sweetie. I just love this time of year and the fall. I can smell the warm weather coming.

Wendyc
  8. elsa

elsa New Member

I have ridden all of my life .... Started with pleasure horses on my grandparent's farm (which I don't remember but have the picture,lol) to the medium pony ring. Stopped a couple of times ... ie college and marriage ... but eventually found my way back.

I am on my way out to the barn this morning. I have a "big one" too .... 17.1 grey trakehner/TB (mother = TB) ... large warmblood hands-wise but has the TB refined bone structure. I am very lucky indeed!

We have things in common. I also got my horse when he was three .... but he had some training under him .... was going around the baby green ring that winter ... bought him over that memorial weekend.

From there we went through the highly traumatic pre-green year ... (mine's a "handful" too,lol) .... through the green divisions and now a happy AM Owner hunter.

I have been very fortunate with him. Although he is difficult to ride ..... (Not a mean, "I hate my job difficult" but a high energy, sensitive ferrari type ride)We have had good success in the ring.

Because of this wonderful illness, we have taken a two year break from showing. It has worked out well for him as we hit it pretty good during his early years. It never hurts to give those legs (and brain,lol) a break, ya know?!?

When I started to feel better, I got involved pretty strongly with my work which also interfered with showing. Just recently I let all who matter know that my boy was moving up the priority list ... Time to get back after it.

Today is body clip, mane pulling, get beautiful day. I'm going to check the tack, boots and bits supply. Vacation is over! I cannot wait!

Don't give up hope. I am in remission, but that doesn't mean well. I have to do "maintenance" to maintain how I feel, but it does happen. Keep your chin up .... you'll be back after it soon.

Take care,

Elsa
  9. kbak

kbak Member

Love them horsey's. Altho I don't have one anymore, riding is one of the only exercises I can do without pain. My cousin is mounted police in WI. We ride anytime we get togeather. I ride occasionally around here. Wish I could ride more often. Without a horse it's not as easy.

Those of you with horses, do you find that you can ride without to many problem's?

Giddy Up!
    K.
  10. texasmaia

texasmaia New Member

...been on them all my life. Raised in Wyoming with cattle ranching family. Went through jr. & sr. high school west of Denver and participated on a drill team for years. Rode for hours everyday. Now we farm and ranch in Texas.

Raised my kids in 4H and FFA. Now grand daughters are starting to ride. My boys are bullriders, and cowboy for a living.

I don't ride often. When I do, I swear I am going to do it more. Sure feel all those muscles working when I get on one. Love it when I do. Just takes the gumption to get it all going,..once I am there it's great.

Great post!
    Maia
  11. WendyC

WendyC New Member

Its one of the few exercises that I can do, but I have to build up slowly. I am a bit stiff after a long ride but I think that there are endorphins or something beneficial that is released. I find that I am however, a lot more anxious and nervous when my horse blows up, than when I was healthier (and younger). Those of you on ranches boy do you have a great life. I live in CT. and we have some land but the list of where you can't ride and what you can't do is very long.

Wendyc
  12. maripat

maripat New Member

Hi
    Kind a funny. I just came in from the barn when I st down to look at the board.
    My guys have a fresh trim, no shoes yet. Still too cold and wet here in Montana.
    I have a Belgun Draft and two Thouroughbreds. I have taught
    horse to lower his head so I can get on him by myself to ride bareback.
    With the help of some pain meds I usually can get in some riding every year.
    Happy Trails to all.
    maripat
  13. lardsgirl

lardsgirl New Member

I am picturing all the horses and the smiles they have given each of us...once a horse nut always a horse nut I guess. the spring was my favorite time to get out on the trails...the robins where singing and the leaves just starting to bud..then winter would finally be gone..
  14. kbak

kbak Member

I learned to ride as a kid on my aunts Thouroughbred jumper. Talk about spooky. The horse would freak at anything that was out of place. Plus that "animal" would try his hardest to unload me! I was riding English taboot.

It was kinda the baptism by fire school of riding! I think it's the motion of riding that is actually very theraputic. Now I can't gallop anymore, that's to muscle straining, but a nice walk with some cantoring works just fine.

What could be better than a beautiful day on a horse out there with mother nature.

K.

15. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Had horses most of my long life........western recreational into the trails with picnic baskets to lay on the side of the mountain & we all would eat, talk & take it our horses' & mother nature's healing energy. That was on Vancouver Island in the 50's!!

Then 3 years ago, I bought what I was told a solid trail guy, and I really loved his energy. Come to find out the guy had lied & he had been trained to rodeo buck & do running rears for movies. He never did that until I'd just turned 60 (never had come off a horse prior). I cued him, unknowingly, and that was the end of my ranch & horses. Took months to recover. But I retired him to a great home.

Now I know I have to continue this passion, and have approved plans to put in a two stall facility; bring on "other's" horses for "free", in exchange for them to take this ole granny riding those mountain trails once again. (only now in California). Anyone interested?? ha.ha.

My health is much better when I'm bonded with a horse. Hoping to spend my last days with them.

Thanks for this 'up' topic.

LIGHT********carole (aka spirit horse)
  16. berrytired

berrytired New Member

I love horses! does that count?? I don't own or have ever owned one but wish I could. I work with horsey people (wealthly business owner) - but he loves them. If you mention his horse that just won a big race here - he tears up and not because of the money.
  17. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

Helo everyone! My computer has been down for two weeks and this is the first thread I have responded too so far! HA!

I have been rehabbing my mare from a bowed tendon. she is doing fantastic. she has been jumping for about 10 days now. she is toatally sound.

Today I had the most fun!. we went to a cross country course up in the north georgia mountains. I was supposed to just tag along for fun with the kids. One of the kids had tio drop out at the last minute which left a space and so I loaded Nightingale up and away we went.

We just jumped the baby jumps but what a beautiful fun day we had. I was grinning from ear to ear. we took 10 horses and they all did really well. The kids have a show there on May 6th maybe I'll enter too!

I am also doing an investmnent pony with my trainer for fun. we are going to look at a few on Sunday. life is good! Lynn
  18. ouchiered

ouchiered New Member

I adopted a burro from Nevada six years ago. She was only about 8 months old. She would go on walks with me, run with the dogs & play. When I still rode she would come along & play hide & seek with us. Poor thing has trouble with the rich green grass of So. Cal so we pull her off & put her in her pen so I can feed her alfalfa. We have some pretty good talks together. She understands because she hurts too if I don't get her off the grass quick enough. Maybe I should try some alfalfa! GG
  19. labrat59

labrat59 New Member

I raised and showed Appaloosas as a kid but after parents divorced I was forced to sell my best friend Johnny. I have never forgiven myself to this day(25 years). Always thought when my children were grown and on their own I would get another friend.
    But now I have pretty much given up on that ever happening, too old and unhealthy. Well, at least I have sweet memories of riding one of the best most talented horses ever. Sorry to be a downer.
    Lisa
  20. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

labrat59 I stopped for 25 years and I jumped a cross country course yesterday (The ameoba jumps!) I started getting better last year. Never say never! I am making up or lost time and loving it! I started out with a lesson once per week then a half lease then I took the plunge and bought a horse in December. I am having the time of my life! Take Care! Lynn

Donkey and miniture horse question?? Do they need the farrier every 6-8 weeks like their bigger brothers and sisters??? Lynn