all you with neck and back troubles....what I've learned

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by sunflowergirl, Apr 25, 2013.

1. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I've been going for physical therapy (neck traction and machines to strengthen muscles). Yesterday I had a new physical therapist check out my POSTURE. He told me I tend to curve my shoulders inward INSTEAD of standing up straight. I have cervical stenosis, osteoarthritis, and a few disc problems. Apparently I never realized this and over the years my posture has contributed greatly to my pain and suffering.

I'm telling all of you to stand in front of your mirror to check your neck, shoulders and back alignment. Get a hand held mirror and look sideways too. OMG! I'm trying to RETRAIN myself to throw back my shoulders, stick out my chest and lengthen my neck instead of slouching.

And for the umpteenth time I've heard from physical therapists that FM is only a "dump" diagnosis. Every bit of our pain and suffering comes from other problems in our bodies but most doctors don't want to delve more or are incapable.
  2. kbak

kbak Member

Hi,
    I do agree that posture is important, but fibro is not bad posture. Any good fibro doc will tell you it's an overactive cenrtal nervous system. I'm afraid that PT's, most nurses and most doctor's are misinformed and under educated on the subject.

I agree that many things get dumped into the fibro boat because it's easier for docs to do that then have to dig to find a problem. But, there has been very good research in the last few yrs. and the central nervous system seems to be the culprit.

Extensive blood testing is recommended for those that can afford it because people with severe fibro symptoms usually have something else going on besides the fibro.

Sit up straight! :)
    kbak
  3. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I accepted FM diagnosis about 20 years ago, read all about the symptoms, and tried to live with it. But as the years wore on and it got worse and worse, MRIs were taken and showed degenerative changes in my spine, which was actually the culprit for the bad pain.

4. kbak

kbak Member

Hi,
    Glad you found what was wrong with you! To often docs use fibro as an easy out. Nothing is ever easy is it.

kbak