Allergic reaction and flare in fibromyalgia pain and migraines?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lucysun, Dec 17, 2009.

1. lucysun

lucysun New Member

I had a severe allergic reaction to cashews (I knew I was allergic, but accidentally ate a cookie with them in it) that sent me to the emergency room a month and a half ago. I recovered after a about a week (including 4 days on prednisone). I still had slight puffiness in my face for almost two weeks.

Now, for the past 30 days or so I have had an increase in migraines that don't respond to imitrex, as well as a severe flare up in my fibromyalgia pain and fatigue. My primary care doctor just gave me a higher dose of imitrex to try, and sent me to make an appointment for a followup with an allergist.

I have been reading lately about cytokines, but I admit I don't really know what they are or what they do or how they relate to allergies and fibromyalgia. But I am now wondering if my severe reaction put my body into overdrive somehow, and that is the cause of my recent flare in pain?

Anyone have any ideas? Unfortunately my appointment with the allergist is not for another few weeks.

Anyone else have acute food allergies notice anything like this happen?
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I understand a bit about cytokines, but unfortunately not well enough to really explain.....but I do think from what I understand that the allergic reaction could definitely be the cause of your pain flare.....makes a lot of sense from what I have read as well as my own experience (with other allergies and MCS)
  3. lucysun

lucysun New Member

I am glad to hear from you that you have experienced a similar response. In researching I am seeing the phrases "late phase reaction" and "allergic cascade", but have not found anything that might explain long term consequences of having had an acute reaction, and what to do about it. I am quite anxious to see what the allergist will say in two weeks. And I am praying my pains and migraines abate and don't get worse in the mean time...