Allergic reaction to fentanyl

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by monica33flowers, Aug 22, 2008.

1. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I was wondering if any of you have experienced any reactions while taking fentanyl? Or maybe an interaction with another drug you are taking.

I recently had an appendectomy performed and while in the hospital they gave me fentanyl. Almost 1/2 hour later of given the drug I went into deep hallucinations. The surgeon who performed the surgery said he heard I was having a few problems but didn't seem it necessary to add fentanyl to my chart as an allergic reaction. I feel it needs to be added to my chart as I never want to go thru that mess again.
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

Instist that your doc puts a note of this in your chart..

I went thru many bizzare reactions to meds and was told it was just me. Since learned with fibro that this is common!

Now when ever I have to fill out paper work or see someone new when they ask are you allergic to anything I always put down very senistive to drugs and dosages...

I personally to not like fentanyl. Was on the patch for years not good.

Don't let them make you take something you know caused this reaction(not allergic fibro)

Stay well
  3. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Thank you 3g!

Has anyone else had a reaction to fentanyl?
  4. boltchik

boltchik New Member

So sorry you had such a bad reaction to the fentanyl, so scary! I would insist that it be added to my chart.

Apparently fentanyl is also used in anesthesia (spelling?). I had an allergic reaction to it after my gallbladder surgery. I had respiratory distress and it was very scary. It lasted for several hours. Of course, the hospital here is overcrowded and I was largely ignored. I had to call the hospital later and ask what the anesthesia was composed of to determine myself what the reaction was from. They said it was most likely the fentanyl. And you better believe that if I ever have to have surgery again I will insist that it is put on my chart and under no circumstances can they administer it to me.

The healthcare system is so overloaded and sometimes incompetent, I feel that I have to be my own advocate. I hope your dr.'s take you seriously and listen to your concerns. Kim :)
    [This Message was Edited on 08/23/2008]