Allergic to Codeine What to Take for Pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Apr 15, 2010.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

Anyone allergic to codeine but can take viocdin or lortab? I have tried to do without pain meds but the time has come I need something. Since I am allergic to codeine I haven't a clue what to take.

The doc gave me darvocet several yrs ago but the pharmicist told me since I was allergic to codeine to be careful so therefore have never taken it.

I have been taking OTC such as aleve, bufferin etc. which is no longer working.

Thanks for any input . My doctor is leaving in a month and I want to stock up on meds till I can get in with another doctor.

[This Message was Edited on 04/15/2010]
  2. kat211

kat211 New Member

I am currently taking flexiril 2 to 3 times a day. It is working very well for me. I have been taking it for about 2 months now. Vicodin and other narcotics didn't work for me at all. DM, the active ingredient in most cough supprecents is also closely related to codeine and does a doozy on me.

Good luck gg.

3. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

Tramadol, otherwise can use asprin and paracetamol together. A natural approach u could use is kava extract, it has muscle relaxing and relieving effects and can improve other pain killers when used with it.
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Tramadol doesn't contain aspirin or Tylenol. You take Tylenol with it. I'd ask your Dr. about something else. I googled pain medication without codeine - you might want to do the same.
    There was some interesting information about how they are two different drugs.

What happens when you take codeine? So you can't take any cough medicine or anything?

I'm sorry that your pain has gotten worse. I'm glad your going to visit with your Dr. - there ARE ways to relieve your pain! Are you able to take any muscle relaxants? They certainly aren't pain meds but can sometimes help if your muscles hurt. Flexiril didn't work for me, but Soma does.

Visiting w/your Dr. and your pharmacist for recommendations for meds would be a great idea.
    Good Luck!

5. kat211

kat211 New Member

I was just reading what Janalynn said, and it reminded me that most drs have samples of different meds in there office.

There is not a single med that works the same for everyone. For instance, the meds that other people recommended didn't work for me and vice versa. So asking for samples could save you money, time, and energy.

To Janalynn, when I haven't taken codeine for decades and I was in the hospital when I last had it, yes they knew I was allergic, but I don't remember much because I had been in a bad auto accident too. Cough meds that contain DM make me feel like I have literally been run over by a truck, I itch all over like having chicken pox but can't move to do anything about it, and I cannot think straight to even add 1 + 1. Just one does will have me out for a few days. For me, it seems to shut my entire system down. So, I just drink a lot of tea and honey and suffer through if I get a cough. I also take a lot of hot showers or baths to loosen it and clear it up the old fashioned way.
  6. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

I'm allergic to codeine as well. I dealt with brutalizing pain (and went to some very dark places within myself) before I waved a white flag and sought relief. That started a long process of finding what would work for me. I finally ended up on 5mg oxycodone that contained acetaminophen. It gave me my life back and now it's many years later and I take a timed release of the same med. Talk with your doctor-they should be able to get you to a place where you're not suffering. I wish you the best!
  7. New Member

I have a very serious allergy to codeine and have taken Darvocet many times without a problem. I think it;s a great drug for mild-moderate pain as it relaxes you but doesn't make you feel woozy. Here's a good way to check for allergies with any medication. Bring some to your allergist. Have him/her do a scratch test first. If that goes ok, they will have you do a 'challenge test' actually taking a normal dose of the drug in their office. No reaction-no problem
  8. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Kat - that's terrible that they gave it to you in the hospital when they knew you were allergic to it! Unfortunately that happens all too often! I have lots of allergies, so I always doublecheck my new prescriptions online as well to see if I should really have been given them. You wouldn't believe how many times I should not have!

Technically Oxycodone wouldn't be taken if one had an allergy to codeine either - so maybe one might have an allergy to the form of codeine in a cough medication and not what is broken down in a pain medication? Or maybe the type of allergic reaction makes a difference, I have heard that before.

Sidenote - Darvocet is a VERY mild pain reliever - some say it's no more effective than Tylenol #3, which a few high dose Advil would work just as well as. I have a friend who is a pharmacist who said there was a discussion at one point about lowering it's class of scheduled drug. Tylenol 3 contains codeine so forget that.

Tramadol again might be a good choice for you or try a small dose or something - see how you react - with permission of course. Have some benedryl nearby!
  9. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

go to You can check out any type of medication you want. it will tell you what you shouldn't take if you're allergic to something.

Darvocet doesn't contain codeine.
  10. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

I take two 650 tablets along with bp meds in the am first thing, then coffee which helps get them going. The trick with pain if at all possible is to be ahead of it. I just take the tyl every morning, knowing what will follow. Sometimes during the day a bit of valium or half a soma. I used to need total of 4 tabs per day, but weaned myself down to two. BUT there are some days, especially when barometer goes low I have to take two more.

yep, I know it will kill my liver. Been taking stuff for decades and always tell my MD between cholesterol drugs, aspirin over the years, etc. etc. I will die of liver problems. The choice seems to be pain. No thanks.

Good luck. I am also allergic to codeine.