Allergic to every drug?! Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chilene, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Chilene

Chilene New Member

help!!!

i'm freaked out as it seems there is not one thing left that i don't react to.

i used to be just allergic to all antibiotics. then it was antivirals. but i could always take ibuprofin, tylenol and vicodan.

not any more!!! i am beside myself, living with daily headaches (herniated discs, sinuses). when i take ibuprofin or better, vicodin, i do get relief... but about a day after (even on 1/4 of a tablet of vicodin!)...i start getting pretty bad allergic reaction (swelling, constant runny nose, throat swelling up, sneezing...)... and now i just read that if you let this continue, it could be fatal!

seems as though what my body used to handle some, it no longer can at all! i have never heard of anyone allergic to EVERYthing!! anyone else?

i just don't know how i can face headaches for the rest of my life (usually most of the day) without any medication! and chiropractic and massage actually make my pain much worse.

i'm truly freaking out as i'm sposed to go see The Stones tonight (with the headache!) and really don't want to cancel... i think i'll just leave if it gets awful...

helene
    [This Message was Edited on 01/25/2006]
  2. Chilene

Chilene New Member

wow! cherry juice! that's totally cool and intersting. i hadn't heard this and look forward to trying it!

thanks so much for responding. hope you are well;)

hugs to you!

helene
    (loved the icon, too!)

3. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Hi Helene!

Like you, I'm allergic to most antibiotics, pain-killers with codeine, plus meds like Celebrex, etc. It sure is frustrating!

I've heard that SOME folks who have reactions to opiates can take tramadol (which is the pain-killing ingredient in Ultram). This is something you should discuss with your Allergist or GP before venturing to try yourself, however, since allergic reactions can be deadly.

Best wishes in getting some sort of resolution to this problem. Your frustration is quite understandable as it is bad enough having to endure relentless pain without being forced to avoid pain-relievers since they cause a reaction.

Janice

4. lauralea443

lauralea443 New Member

no i'm not i don't know what i would do without the meds i take.

Now i have had reactions to migraine meds but finally found one that works for me.

So sorry to hear this.

Good luck
    Laura
  5. lauralea443

lauralea443 New Member

no i'm not i don't know what i would do without the meds i take.

Now i have had reactions to migraine meds but finally found one that works for me.

So sorry to hear this.

Good luck
    Laura
  6. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

There was actually a point in time I wasn't allergic to any medication. Somewhere along the line my body went haywire and EVERYTHING changed.

The same as you, I can't take antibiotics or antivirals anymore. With me, they cause my heart to race and I sweat and faint. Tylenol? LOL. I have seizures when I take tylenol.

I can take pure codeine - just not Tylenol products.

For pain the only thing I never developed a reaction to was Demerol. However the minute I started taking the Demerol, my allergies increased 20 fold.

For over a year now my doctor has been fine tuning my meds to what works best - and I've found that taking 2x 10mg Reactines in the morning, and a Benedryl nighttime before bed helps dull down the swelling, sneezing and tenderness in my throat.

Another member of my family has the same reactions as you to painkillers as well, but it turned out he couldn't eat fruit whithin days of taking the meds.

Welcome to the mystery of life! lol

~Amanda
    [This Message was Edited on 01/25/2006]
  7. kch64

kch64 New Member

Hi,

I started developing allergies to antibiotics when I was in my twenties. Now I'm allgergic to almost all of them except tetracycline.

I can take aspirin and ibuprofin in small doses. I don't have allergies to tylenol, but it makes me feel weak after taking it long term.

Its scary and I now how you feel. You think, well, if I can't take anything, how am I going to get help.

Try the traumeel natural pain med that everyone on the website is talking about.

Can you take aspirin? try that too.

I empathize with you.

Kendra
  8. Chilene

Chilene New Member

a few people have metioned Ultram. not sure if i ever tried THAT one (feels like i've tried em all!). thanks much for your thoughts!

i will look into Ultram!

hugs to you and nice to "meet" you!

helene
  9. Chilene

Chilene New Member

amanda!

i am SO sorry you deal with all that you do, but i now feel less like the only one!!!

you wouldn't believe the reactions (from people, doctors, nurses) that i get when i try to tell them that i'm now also allergic to Tylenol, ibuprofin and herbs!... everyone thinks i've really gone off the deep end for sure, now!

i am constantly getting: "well, then there's not much left to do!" and they treat me like i'm being a huge pain! as if this isn't reallllly hard itself!

so. thanks so much about the advice on codeine and demoral. but my nurse just said that there was no vicodan (maybe in US) without Tylenol available!

i really don't have a doctor that i can go to alot. the western doc is open-minded and trying... but they think sending me to an allergist is the answer... and allergists don't seem to understand such cases like mine i find. and the alternative docs are expensive (i'm on disability and they're not covered by medicare)... and then also, same reactions to herbs and even homeopathic! argh!...

if i could just get rid of the headaches... the rest would be sooo much easier!

much thanks to you amanda! i love your profile and bless you for being so interesting and having a wonderful boyfriend!;)

many hugs!

helene
  10. Chilene

Chilene New Member

i will try the Traumeel again (tried it years back and can't recall what happened... but i was less reactive then...)... and maybe another go-round with the aspirin! thank you!

hugs to you!!;)

helene
  11. Chilene

Chilene New Member

i think the leaky gut syndrome is exactly what i need to research next. i've also noticed more headaches soon after eating! and i'm not conviced at all it's the tmj... as it can happen with smoothies (uless it's my vagus nerve wh/ runs from neck down to stomach, i've heard...neck being where my herniated discs are...)...

nice to "meet" and thanks so much!

hugs!

helene
  12. kch64

kch64 New Member

Try the Guai therapy. Its a benign drug and it may work wonders for you.

Also, I would recommend acupuncture. It helps some significantly.

I had a headache last year that wouldn't go away no matter what I tried. It would leave when I took meds, and then come right back when the meds wore off. So I went to the doc and she did a little 15 minute treatment (my first) and within two hours afterward, the pain was gone and I felt so good for several weeks.

I haven't been back due to finances, but my head hasn't hurt me since the treatement. I want to get it done for my energy levels.

The needles are so thin and they don't hurt anywhere near as much as the pain from this DD.

If you use the Guai, you can't use aspirin or salicylates because they block the action.

I wish you more pain free days in the future,

I would try the acupuncture first. and then start on the guai.

Kendra
    [This Message was Edited on 01/26/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 01/26/2006]
  13. dreamharp

dreamharp New Member

I have found long extended release niacin to be a big help
    with chronic headaches.
  14. Chilene

Chilene New Member

since i always feel better when i DON'T eat, am thinking i may have this Leaky Gut thing or just allergic reactions to food as you do! (i've already eliminated dairy, wheat, corn, meat, onions, garlic, tomato and most citrus fruits!)

what does one eat? i'm sure everybody is different, but what kind of testing did you have and what's left to eat?;)...

hugs...

helene
  15. kch64

kch64 New Member

I just saw your new post. I'm getting treated now with NAET. Its an energy medicine like acupuncture, but you can have your allergies treated and they will be gone for the rest of your life.

See my post to SBilek and Pam about NAET. Its worth looking into.

Hugs,
    Kendra
  16. Chilene

Chilene New Member

sounds good when i can get a bit of cash.

i did it in the past (and i'd get kinda faint from it)... but it would help for a few hours some...

thanks again;)!

helene
  17. Chilene

Chilene New Member

this NAET sounds great!...

will read those posts and look into, thanks!!!

;) helene
  18. Chilene

Chilene New Member

niacin, yes?...

i will definitly try it!

thanks so much, and nice to "meet" you!

;) hugs!

helene
  19. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

Trust me, the menu becomes REAL short when you have this many allergies!

Red meats and that have been something I have always been allergic to. Fruits & vegetables though were just found to be an allergy a couple years ago.

I always had problems eating alot of food - and fruits & veggies were always the worst. They would make my gums, tongue and throat swell, and if by chance I didn't have an oral reaction to it - it really did a job on my stomach! All through growing up I told my doctor it hurt to eat these things, and she just always told my parents it was a 'kids way of trying to avoid the things that are good for them'.

About 2 years ago now I was sent for allergy testing because my body and it's tolerance to things was changing drastically. My allergist did the standard scratch test, and the "small lumps" that were supposed to disappear within 20 minutes turned into giant lumps and didn't go away for a couple of weeks.

Food wise my allergist took a fruit and vegetable from each category, scratched the food with the needle, then scratched me with it. Once on the arm, and once in the mouth. VERY uncomfortable.

So now grains are about the only thing I can safely eat. Bread, rice, pasta, etc are pretty much my only options now. I do cheat though. Some of my food allergies aren't serious enough for me to avoid the foods completely (Popcorn and cookies are a soft spot for me)- I just make sure my schedule is clear for the rest of the day!

In another post earlier you said your Doc recommended allergy testing. Unfortunately there's no allergy testings for medical things, including medications. I've learned all my medication allergies by trial and error. It's a scarey thing to do. Food and thing wise though it is a REALLY good idea to get the testing done. It really can make life easier when you know exactly what it is that you have to avoid!

Hopefully someone finds something to help you control the pain. But, as you said - it's hard to tell someone you can't have the drug they're suggesting without them thinking twice about you. When I go into the hospital and they keep trying to give me T3's for pain, I always tell them I take Demerol; as it's my only option. The last time I was admitted to the hospital my mother ended up sneaking me in my prescription of Demerol because the hospital refused to give it to me.

Being full of tattoos and piercings and asking for Demerol really does work against me most times.

Good luck!

~Amanda
  20. skinnymini

skinnymini New Member

I am allergic to dairy products, cane sugar, oats, corn, lettuce, bananas, pineapple, and many others. I am also allergic or atleast sensitive to medications I used to take without side effects. My "friends" at my local health food and vitamin store have suggested my body has become TOXIC due to the drugs and allergens that my body has accumulated over the years. I have just completed a colon cleanse and will be doing a liver cleanse this weekend. These, I hope, will clear my liver and colon of toxins. I will probably do a kidney cleanse, too. Already, my sleep has improved and I am hopeful my allergies will clear more with each additional cleanse.