allergic to serotonin is it possible??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by an1000, Mar 17, 2007.

1. an1000

an1000 New Member

i saw a doc who's a chiropractor and practices lots of various alternative treatments, including kineisiology. he did this bizarre stuff where he held my arm up and asked me statements and determined how my body reacted, and where my psychological "blockages" were. he also touched touched small bottles of stuff while holding my arm up to determine what i was allergic or intolerant to. he concluded that i was allergic to animal dander (which i am), but more importantly that i am allergic to my own hormones, and to serotonin. is this even possible? is this guy full of crap? he says he has cleared people of many allergies, and can clear me of mine...any thoughts?
  2. clerty

clerty New Member

I am not sure about that but I do have problems with a lot af anti depressents they just make me worse when they are supposed to help, there was a post from someone about the same thing O my memory is bad but they said something along the same line as you about Amitryptiline causing this perhaps someone else might remember it.
    clertyx
  3. clerty

clerty New Member

I am not sure about that but I do have problems with a lot af anti depressents they just make me worse when they are supposed to help, there was a post from someone about the same thing O my memory is bad but they said something along the same line as you about Amitryptiline causing this perhaps someone else might remember it.
    clertyx
  4. 545

545 New Member

An1000, by definition, allergies are caused by "allergens" which are things in the environment that our bodies react to. A lot of attention has been paied to these basic mechanisms with regard to autoimmune disorders, whereby, *I think* belief is that your body acts as if it were alergic to its own natural chemicals; but this interpretation has been a while in the making because it shifts how we think about allergic reactions.

I suppose it's certainly possible to suggest that serotonin might act similarly (as it's naturally produced by your body), but such a claim would:
    -need a whole lot of substiating
    -and I would think that it would depend upon how your body reacts to serotonin; I don't think swelling / inflamation are common antidepressant side effects

At the least, it's a bold claim to state that you might be allergic to a neurotransmitter, and the doctor would need to acknowledge that; it didn't seem like he did. Plus he's a chiropractor.
  5. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

You'd die with out it! Perhaps you mis-heard the doc.

Most of us CFS/FM ppl are depressed. Serotonin is the "I feel good" neurotransmitter and SSRI (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors) drugs are the latest, greatest antidepressant drugs out there. They raise your serotonin levels. Too much serotonin is bad too. Ppl who take anti depressants and then start adding in natural serotonin products can have TOO much serotonin.

Serotonin "precursors" are tryptophan, 5HTP, dairy, bananas, cashews, almonds and turkey.

I'm mildly depressed myself and drug-resistant depressed. I found via a hair analysis that I have Lead, Antimony, Cadmium & Arsenic. Getting these chelated out helps my depression.
  6. kjfms

kjfms Member

Is there as chance when the chiropractor was speaking of how when we encounter allergens it stimulates the release of serotonin and histamine from mast cells in our bodies?

This increase affect chemokines which in turn alter arousal, attention, activity, and vigilance. Maybe he mentioned that along with something about the hormone and it got turned around somehow.

I have never heard of an allergy to serotonin and can not find any references to it.

Take care,

Karen

7. padre

padre New Member

An1000,
    My opinion is that your question: "Is this guy full of crap?" tells us a good deal. You were right, what he did was bizarre. But I know M.D.'s that do bizarre things too. I would get a second opinion on any of this. He may be right, but you have reservations. There must be a reason for them. Instinct is good.
  8. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

Can you be allergic to yourself? I'm confused.
  9. clerty

clerty New Member

I get the idea of what me means I dont think he is talking rubbish perhaps it was the way he worded it !!!
    I beieve in a lot of that type of thing I had reki and she told me so many things about my body which happened to be true so dont write this guy off did you not ask him for details or to explain!!

10. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

Back in the 80s when environmental illness/multiple chemical sensitivity was becoming recognized and treated one of the major clinics found that almost all their patients were sensitive to serotonin (and histamine). They prepared drops or shots to desensitize them the same as you would do for pollen or food allergies.

I'm not a big fan of kinesiology - I think it's way too subjective and plenty of quacks practice it - but I have also seen it work when used by a skilled practitioner. I just have a problem with many practitioners claiming they can cure or "clear" people and by using the word "allergic" improperly as others have pointed out.

Jan