Allergic to the World

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeaBisqit, Jan 30, 2010.

1. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I am so sick of these allergies to every thing in the world. Tonight, I had a bad reaction to eating fish. My father is allergic to fish and I seem to be developing the same allergy. Nothing like feeling like you are suffocating and going to puke at the same time with scary rapid heartbeat.

I'm allergic to the building I live in. Every time I come home, I get worse. There's mold in here, and they use these awful chemical cleaning products to wash the floors in the halls and then they spray tons of roach spray in the lounge, so I can't even go in there. But that room is next to the laundry room, so that's why I end up deathly ill every time I do the laundry.

My nose is stuffed up and I'm still getting some post nasal drip problems. The doc just gave me stuff for it.

I just feel like I'm all MCS tonight. I hate it.
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

Lately I think that my MCS limits me almost as much as my ME/CFS and that is saying a lot, bc the ME certainly has taken away most of my abilities at least for the time being.....but when I actually do manage to feel well enough to try to do anything (grocery shopping, laundry, church, etc) the MCS makes those things incredibly hard and leaves me feeling horrible....and my apt is probably a very big part of my problem, too, but I have been looking for more than 3 yrs now for another place, and so far no luck.....still looking, though

plus, MCS is another thing that most people fail to understand at is not just getting a runny nose or the sniffles, or even a headache or any of the normal allergy things (& it is not just disliking someone's perfume - that response drives me nuts - so sick of hearing about other people's "right" to wear perfume - when it is literally poisoning me, and could literally kill me - no exaggeration - then it is not a right!)....MCS is all the nromal allergic stuff, but it is also nausea, dizziness, cognitive issues (bc of lowered blood flow to the brain), light headedness, etc, etc, etc....the way that it effects breathing is huge, too.....when the MCS is bad enough it is literally impossible to function, and like I said, it can actually be serious enough to kill someone

anyway, sorry for the little rant......just trying to tell you that I can totally understand where you are coming from
    [This Message was Edited on 01/30/2010]
  3. wrthster

wrthster New Member

This may sound crazy, but get checked for parasites both in the stool and blood. They can cause many type of allergies and are hard to find. Certainly worth a shot. If they can't find them in a test, see if your doctor would let you try either mebendazole for worms or Tindamax for protozoa and see if you feel any better. Certainly might be worth a try.
  4. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Parasites were the first thing I made them check me for when I got sick. Nothing ever showed, but every few years, I do a deworming anyway. Usually makes my stomach better, but does nothing else.
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

I can so relate Tea and I could have written Aunt Tammie's reply.. The darn MCS or whatever is getting harder for me to cope with than the CFS or whatever I have.. I am in my doubting mode at the moment.

All my allergy test were negative!! just another reason for the docs to think its all in my head.
    I didn't have the food allergy testing but I think there are foods involved but the smells, keep me housebound a lot. Even the weather.

Haven't a clue how to cope or what to do but am seeing a new rheumy in a coulple of weeks I am going to ask him about all this but as ususal it will probably go in one ear and out the other.

I feel I have given up and just going to have to accept a life of misery.

Sorry, you are going through this and I have no help to share except my heart breaks for you and I am hear to listen..

Oh, when I am having or seem to keep MCS my anxiety/depression is so much worse, how about you.

God Bless,
  6. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I'm just so depressed that I'm not well enough to do anything. I feel like I'm being held back from life and I'm not allowed to live. I'm only allowed to watch other people live. It's horrible. And having these MCS symptoms only makes it that much worse.
  7. greatgran

greatgran Member

I am so sorry but so can relate to how you feel. Its so bad when you want to do and feel like a normal person or just somewhat normal and can't .. The hard part for me is they isn't an answer or closer to this ..

For now I am upping my xanax, been on them 7 yrs and never upped or taken the prescibed amount so going to up to see if they help me deal with all this.. If not will cut back.

My prayers are with you and so are my tears.

8. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I don't take any antidepressants or any of that stuff. For me, I believe in dealing with reality and facing it. And when you hide behind those drugs, all you really do is hide and create more health problems from them. That's not a diss at you, that's just how I feel about the drugs.

There are so many people in the world like us and I wish I knew why we have to have it. I wish I even had half a life back.
  9. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Believe me, by taking care of your depression you will be able to deal with reality in a much better way.

There is nothing wrong with seeking help. It has nothing to do with will power. It's like going to the dentist for a toothache. It needs to be dealt with. Do you think less of a person if they need eyeglasses to see? Seeking treatment means you are taking charge of your actions to help you get better.

I really really understand where you are coming from and how you are feeling.

But getting help for depression can give you a better quality of life and help you put things in perspective.

I don't want to sound harsh, but there was a time in my life I wished someone had talked to me like this. I am not criticizing you.

It will not solve everything, but help you cope with your situation. Do you have a support group where you live?

Please think about this.Take care.

10. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

I have to second gapsych.

The first part of this video (coming from a man we all respect) might help remind you of a really good point:

From ~0:40 to ~2:00
  11. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

What kind of fish did you eat?
    There is a fast food fish i love to eat and i get so darn sick afterwards.
    I crave the fish , then get sick. So silly of me, very seldom do i have it.
    I've been craving for it now but guess i better stay away from it.
    Worst of all its deep fried too. Sounds strange of craving something i know will make me sick afterwards. Anyways, i was just wondering if it was a particular fish only that makes you sick?
  12. wrthster

wrthster New Member

OK,, good you are one step ahead of my suggestion with the parasite testing. However, mine always show up negative but I know I have. Everytime I take Tindamx or Mebendazole I feel better which means they are there. THe tests are not reliabel at all. You may give the meds a try, different from herbals.

THe other thing I can recommend for both of you is have them check your IGG sublasses for immune deficiency. CHeck not just total IGG, but IGG subclass I thru 4. Very important and if there is an immune deficiency they can give you gamma globulin which does help.

Good luck, I know how frustrating this is. I suffer to.
  13. jole

jole Member

I feel badly answering your post, because I know it was about MCS and not depression. And I also know how you feel about taking meds...firstly because they don't always agree with you, and secondly because you feel they mask the symptoms.

I was on Lexapro for severe depression (the only AD I can take without severe side effects), but like you, felt I could handle it by myself. Weaned myself off them about 6 monoths ago. I could tell I was getting worse again, but didn't have a clue just how bad until my kids/families all came home to celebrate Christmas and their dad's birthday.

While they were home, I paced like a caged animal....couldn't enjoy anything, felt like I was on the outside looking in, and would cry at any little thing. They pretended to not notice and thought it was simply a high pain day, or so I thought. A couple days later they were calling and asking when I'd gone off my meds, and to get back on them.

I started back on the Lexapro a couple weeks ago and it is now starting to kick in. I feel the life coming back, and didn't realize just how much I was giving up on life. My outlook is different. I see something to live for again, and am anxious for spring to get here so I can enjoy nature again.

Perhaps you owe it to yourself to at least consider trying something. I understand how scary it can be when it seems there are allergies to everything, but IF you find something that will help, you'll be pleasantly suprised at how your life will change. Supplements don't work for me as far as depression goes, so this was my only choice.

I wish you the very best. Our lives are so terribly hard...there is nothing to "fix" our FM/CFS, MCS, etc. but if we can help even one area of our lives it's really worth it. I also really wish there was an easy answer to your mold problem. That would help you so much! You've certainly had a lot to contend with, and I would do anything to be able to help you. Just know that anything I say is coming from the very best intentions.........Love, Jole
  14. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

First of all, depression is NORMAL when you are sick. It is a natural reaction to not being well, as well as a biological reaction to being physically ill because the body is telling you that there is a problem.

Masking depression with drugs does not solve anything in life and will only create far worse health problems as you mess with your brain chemistry.

I believe in facing reality clean and sober and dealing with the here and now.

We were not meant to be happy we are sick. And I would never take something to change my brain chemistry to fake emotions.

I am nineteen years into this disease, I have dealt with it far better than most for far longer than most. I am entitled to be depressed I can't do anything in the real world and very P.O.'d about it.

Drugs are NEVER the answer to anything in life.

The thread was about MCS and how crappy I feel from it. And nothing is making it better.
  15. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I use that stuff that kills round worms, but I haven't gotten into the heavier stuff like the Mebendazole. I totally agree with you that we have parasites and the tests are not accurate. That's the worst part. I've had docs say to me that they will not treat me based on symptoms alone.

Cloves seem to work, at least for thread worms. But that was all I really found with herbs that seemed to do anything. And the med for the roundworms does make my stomach feel better when I do it.

I really believe everyone should be dewormed once a year at least, but the docs seem to ignore that we could all be carrying all kinds of parasites, especially if you have pets.
  16. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Fish sticks, pollock. But I've been noticing it with other fish lately. I started to get an asthma attack after I eat it. Looks like I can't have any anymore.
  17. viviana1

viviana1 New Member

Hi, I'm new to this site but I do know exactly how you feel and sometimes it's just toooo much to cope with. Peoplecome into our house wearing perfume or body spray; the neighbours smoke heavily and the cigarette smoke is seeping into our bedroom and I feel suffocated; like you I get palpitations and my nose is stuffed up and my chest tight and I get dizzy. I hope you're having a better day today!
  18. viviana1

viviana1 New Member

Gosh, I know where you're coming from as well! EVERYTHING smelly does something. My very patient husband endures my constant bemoaning and lets me get his shaving foam. If I get to church, or in our little post office queue it will invariably be behind or in front of someone who is wearin their "favorite perfume"...which makes me really dizzy...oh and my dad's carer just loves really floral fabric conditioner which permeates the house so I havn't been able to go and stay there for 8 years. Fortunately he understands as me and my brother have M.E, and my parents went through hell watching me reach death's door. You have my sympathy. I think the MCS is one of the worst things as it stops us from enjoying just life.
  19. viviana1

viviana1 New Member

I can understand you not wanting to take drugs cos of what they do to you. I vowed never to take any again until a few years ago when I was in a really bad way and couldn'r cope. I had no choice but to live or die.. and I could only cope with living with some help so now I'm on a small dose of antidepressant and other stuff and it has helped me cope with things. It's not what I want but it takes the edge off things and I couldn't go on any more. Depends how desperate you are maybe. I can see my brother who also has has long term M.E. is v depressed and won't accept medical help, but that's his choice just like yours is to make. Hope you cone into a better patch soon.
  20. viviana1

viviana1 New Member

Am joining in on this discussion because I too feel sick of all these hypersensitivites. You asked about them being worse when anxious/depressed? Well, I think that's probably true and I've also noticed that they were always worse before my periods, now theyve stopped and I'm in the change I'm all over the place and the MCS seems harder to cope with. I do thi nk we'repolluting this world thoug, and our immune systems are being battered by all thede chemicals in just about everything.
    God bless.