Allergies and ozone generators

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by WorldFalls, Oct 20, 2002.

1. WorldFalls

WorldFalls New Member

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and was tikd at that time that it's common for people with fibro to also have allergy problems. I've had allergy problems since I was a baby. I'm wondering if other people here have alleriges and asthma? And if so, have you ever tried or heard anything about ozone generators? A friend suggseted it to me a while back. I don't usually take this sort of thing seriously, but I was surprised that when I went to her house, I had NO allergic reation at all to her cat. I was able to hold it and cuddle up to it and everything! First time in my 32 years! I was baffled! She led me to her bedroom and showed me this machine and told me that it made ozone in the house and that the ozone does some crazy thing with ions to neurtralize dust and other allergens.

It seems like hokey to me. But time and again, I go to her house and I have NO problems with that cat! I've read that some cats (very few) lack the gene that makes the protein that causes allergic reaction, so I've thought that maybe that was the case. A non-allergic furry cat and not the ozone...

The bottom line is that I'm really suffering with allergies right now. I'm wired something awful from the asthma meds and I don't like it at all! I'm sort of at that "desperate" place in which I'm darned close to plunking down $200-300 dollars for that ozone machine. But I'd like to hear if anyone else has had experience with it first.

I'm open to any suggestions that other allergy sufferers have found useful. I'm considering products with Tannic Acid to help de-mite the house. Again, that stuff is REALLY expensive, so I'm hoping to learn from other people before I buy it!

Thanks for listening!

2. WorldFalls

WorldFalls New Member

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and was tikd at that time that it's common for people with fibro to also have allergy problems. I've had allergy problems since I was a baby. I'm wondering if other people here have alleriges and asthma? And if so, have you ever tried or heard anything about ozone generators? A friend suggseted it to me a while back. I don't usually take this sort of thing seriously, but I was surprised that when I went to her house, I had NO allergic reation at all to her cat. I was able to hold it and cuddle up to it and everything! First time in my 32 years! I was baffled! She led me to her bedroom and showed me this machine and told me that it made ozone in the house and that the ozone does some crazy thing with ions to neurtralize dust and other allergens.

It seems like hokey to me. But time and again, I go to her house and I have NO problems with that cat! I've read that some cats (very few) lack the gene that makes the protein that causes allergic reaction, so I've thought that maybe that was the case. A non-allergic furry cat and not the ozone...

The bottom line is that I'm really suffering with allergies right now. I'm wired something awful from the asthma meds and I don't like it at all! I'm sort of at that "desperate" place in which I'm darned close to plunking down $200-300 dollars for that ozone machine. But I'd like to hear if anyone else has had experience with it first.

I'm open to any suggestions that other allergy sufferers have found useful. I'm considering products with Tannic Acid to help de-mite the house. Again, that stuff is REALLY expensive, so I'm hoping to learn from other people before I buy it!

Thanks for listening!

3. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I have heard of air purifiers and electrostatic ion machines for the central air systems--but never heard of an ozone machine. I would think ozone would be bad for asthma or people with multiple chemical sensitivities. Isn't ozone a chemical--so to speak?
    I have gotten so fed up with feeling poorly that I am considering hiring an environmental engineer to come to my house and evaluate for any major pollutant problems. Sorry I can't help about the ozone machine--but I'm kind of skeptical.
    Another allergy sufferer,
    Tania
  4. Thella

Thella New Member

doctors are saying not to use the ozone machines. It apparently is not good in the long run.
    I don't have allergies but my husband has asthma and other allergies so he was checking them out. A really good air purifier is much better. You can get small models that can be used in separate rooms. Here they run about $100. In the states probably $50.
    thella
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have the small negative ionizing air cleaners in all my rooms in my condo. They really do help clean the air and leave it feeling slightly cool and fresh like after a rain.

The A/C company wanted $800 to install an ozone machine on my heater and A/C. We only use our A/C systems half the year and seldom have to use our heaters, so I didn't think it worth the effort. They could have installed a negative ionizer on the system, but again, it would not be as efficient as my individual room cleaners.

Love, Mikie