Allergies anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shananegans, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

Anyone else have a ton of allergies to add to the list of things they already deal with? Just curious to see if there may be a relationship between allergies and FM/CFS.

My allergies consist of being allergic to cold, yep cold, cold anything: ice, cold water, cold weather. I break out in wicked hives and if I eat or drink something to cold my throat swells up... it's a good time. I also have many other seasonal allergies, pollen and whatnot, and I'm allergic to dust, unfamiliar animals.

I also recently discovered that I'm allergic to rice. One of my favorite things to eat and now I can go any where near it.

I'd love to hear about others allergies. Well not that I'd love for people to have allergies, but you know what I mean, to know I'm not alone. And it should be interesting to see how many of us have allergies.

Shananegans
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Shenniganins:

I did the food allergy bit with a immunologist and it came up with the deadly 'Night shades', eggplant and that I was allergic and others that I can think of. Basically it was called the'Deadly Nightshads' (can find it on the net)
    Hugs,
    Nyro Fan
  3. cats3

cats3 New Member

you bet I have allergies

drugs -- mostly pain meds

foods -- wheat,gluten,eggs,milk,yeast,almond,oranges,plus a whole lot more

environmental -- dogs,cats,horses,grass,trees,feathers,cattle,cockroach,dust mites,molds, and the list goes on and on and on

allergy shots are helping me especially with having a dog and 3 cats[This Message was Edited on 09/24/2005]
  4. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

I thought my allergies had gotten pretty bad until I read your post! That is awful! Rice is usually one of those things that ANYONE can eat- I can't imagine!

I have a lot of sensitivites, and have found that they are increasing from year to year. Pet dander has always given me problems, but usually I could desensitize myself to my own animals. Now, I just suffer. I make my husband wash our dogs pretty often and brush them so that I can breathe... I won't get rid of them, but I have found myself more reactive to them.

I usually have hives, but it is not predictable... worse with stress. I'm allergic to mold, dust, and very sensitdive to chemicals. it seems there's always something new popping up. I use vinegar, baking soda, H2O2, and other very natural cleaners, or I have a reaction. My husband does any other thing that requires anything stronger. (I have found that I LOVE the MrClean magic thing, though! Not allergic that I can tell...)

I used to never be bothered with allergies... those were the days. Now, if it's bright and sunny, with flowers blooming, I wake up with puffy eyes. If it is damp outside- has been raining for a while, I wake up puffy and stuffy. It is miserable!

Funny thing is, I have not found an antihistamine that has offered any relief. Any thoughts?
  5. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Shananegan--

I have many allergies, but my main food ones are called the 'deadly nighshades'. you might want to google it.
    Also--the usual outside ones of pollen, etc.
    Take care ot it all,
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  6. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I think I'm allergic to Idaho!
    All the dust and more dust in the air till winter hits and alfalfa.
    Dee50
  7. twinkles49

twinkles49 New Member

Out of 60 tests done on my back (can't remember what they are called..thank you fibrofog) I was postive on all but 2 things...

I now use 3 different inhalers 2xs a day, allegra 2x a day, prednisone 2x a day and a prn inhaler and allergy shots..

I have severe allergic asthma..started about 5 years ago.
    All my life all I had was hay fever then my body went full blown allergic to everything outdoors and indoors..

But yet not allergic to much food...although the sweetners like nutra-sweet and such I am.

An old retired doc that I had for years told me once that I have Chronic Allergic Fatigue along with all else I've got.

Do you ever feel like you are banging your head against the wall and it doesn't even make a dent in it all?

Take care, Twinkles :)

8. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Recently discovered I am allergic to yogurt. The next day I have sneezing that is just terrible and a lot of nasal congestion. I am also lactose intolerant, but this is something different. I don't know if milk would cause this as I avoid it, but I do consume some slight dairy and use the Lactaid pills.

I'm allergic to wool, dust, smoke. A lot of times, I'll wake up in the middle of the night coughing and have to use a sugar free Hall's. I think it is dust that is causing that as I have a cleaning woman and I don't think her dusting is all that great. I try to do what I can, but it is so hard.

No one is allowed to smoke in the house, it has always been a smoke free house as it was new when we moved in.

These are my main allergies. I can deal with one or two cats, but when we had three I did have more problems.

Hugs,
    Faye
  9. kathleen1437

kathleen1437 New Member

As a child i would suffer from hayfever,and had an allergy to feathers and fur. As i got older i added perfumes ,household spray ,dust ,wasps ,bees ,some make up, flowers ,most pain killing drugs . Since my FM began i now can add coffee ,wheat products,orange ,certain veg products .
    Glad to say no allergy to chocolate as yet lol!!!!!!!
    kathleen xx
  10. Bambi

Bambi New Member

finding what I was NOT allergic to was easier. I guess I have developed a tolerence to my pets, have SO many and they just don't bother me. If I go around someone else's cats, they do! Please, please be careful with the Prednisone!! I was on a high dose
    of it for 8 years due to a severe Asthma attack I had and that is why I now have the Osteoporosis. They told me to just take Calcium. Then I found out the Prednisone blocks the Calcium
    from entering the bones, so the Prednisone is leeching it out and you
    just can't replace it. I know it can
    be a real life saver but it can also be a real body killer. Be careful please!
  11. twinkles49

twinkles49 New Member

Thanks for the warning on the prednisone.
    I've been on it off and on for 5 years.

A year ago last July I had to start taking it everday and now my Adrenal Gland does not work anymore.

I've been slowly weaning myself off the prednisone the last few months and with God's help will succeed. The withdrawels are awful!!

At least I'm hoping that my Adrenal Gland will wake back up when I get to the super low dose...

Prednisone on one hand works wonderfully for what you take it for but you are right it is dangerous with all the long term side-effects that it has.

It's been a long tuff battle and still will be for awhile.
    Thanks again bambi...I can tell you care a lot about folks.
    Twinkles :)
  12. GFB

GFB New Member

Hi all,

In case you haven't read any of the posts regarding NAET, I highly urge all of you suffering from allergies to do so. I learned about it a year ago, bought the book which thoroughly explains the technique and while I was very interested, my skepticism prevented me from giving it a shot. This spring, my health rapidly deteriorated and my allergies became very intense. I was seeking treatment at the FFC - IV nutraceuticals, anti-virals, hormones and became even more sick. After two months of convincing myself it was just die-off reaction, I sought out a clinic that administered colonics because I was so toxic and was not eliminating enough. They also did NAET there and I decided to give it a shot. We tested all the medications/supplements I was on and discovered that I was allergic to about 90% of them!

I never really took my food allergies serious enough until they became so threatening and this was my breaking point. With NAET, I discovered that I am allergic to a lot of other things in my environment and I believe that these layers of allergies are what has been making me ill. I've been doing NAET for 3 months and the change in my health has been so dramatic that it's altered the way I perceive chronic fatigue (which I've had for at least the past 9 years). For example, I was diagnosed with a chronic EBV infection. I was on Famvir for 2 months and still sick as a dog. After discovering my Famvir allergy, I stopped taking the medication and gave NAET a try. I was treated for EBV twice with NAET. After those treatments, I saw a huge difference in my energy. My brain fog started to slowly lift and I have not had that chronic viral feeling that has plagued me forever. I am getting stronger - both mentally and physically and my energy is elevating every day. I couldn't get out of bed on the weekends for the months of May and June. Now, I am active and although I still need to pace myself, I truly believe that I am on the right path that will restore my health. Every treatment amazes me because it reprograms your body not to react to certain allergens. By NAET's definition, allergies are anything that is incompatible with your body's energy. I know, I said "yeah right" too but I have seen such incredible improvement in my health and can once again eat foods that I thought I was sworn away from forever.

Sorry to get on a soapbox about this but everytime I read the boards and listen to your stories, I feel so sad and disheartened because I understand what it means to live in avoidance with no choice but acceptance while struggling to live like everyone else and blend in with the rest of the world. It's a miserable feeling and nobody "healthy" understands the consequences you face by eating that bowl of rice or by attending church knowing you will need to lie down the whole day because the lady next to you wore a strong perfume. I want to share my experience because it has been such a life altering one and has given me hope. God knows we all need that! So many of you are on loads of medications and supplements but may not realize that your body could very well be rejecting the very substances that are supposed to be making you better. I was allergic to B complex vitamins! When I started taking mass dosages of them through the FFC, my whole nervous system went out of whack. I felt like I was going out of my mind and it affected everything around me.I was literally having a nervous breakdown. Now, it makes sense to me...B complex is crucial for energy and emotional health! It's present in most grains, fruit and vegetables (a source of many of my food allergies) Since I've been treated for B complex, I don't react to it anymore, and am supplementing it back into my diet again. My nutritionist/NAET practitioner said that it can take at least 6 months for frayed nerves to heal but the extreme hypersensitivity that took over my life and threw me into panic attacks and contant nervousness started to go away after the first month and is becoming less and less problematic. I am feeling more relaxed and mentally strong. So much that my psychologist thinks I'm a comletely different person.

There's no magic cure but with proper nutrition and this wonderful allergy elimination technique, I think my body has been given a huge advantage in healing itself.My next challenge is to start working exercise into the mix so that I continue to rebuild and get stronger. I hope that you all will find the answers you seek to end the misery whether it's NAET or some other solution. No one thing works for everyone but never give up on empowering yourself with knowledge or keeping an open mind to options that are not so mainstream. Good luck to you all!

GFB

Check out the NAET website if you are interested: www.naet.com. I found the book "Say Goodbye to Illness" to be very informative (it's on the site) and the site lists practitioners all over the world.

P.S. I decided to copy this into a post so that others will see it too. Sorry for the repeat![This Message was Edited on 09/25/2005]
  13. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

It only takes a minute on this board to realize you don't have it as bad as you could. Thank you all for your responses and possible suggestions. I've actually been thinking lately that it may be my allergies that are making me sick. It would make sense. I am going to be seeing an Allergist soon to see what else I am allergic to since some many new ones have popped up and I'm so sensitive to everything anymore. Wouldn't it be wonderful to find out that the reason I feel dead most of the time is because I'm allergic to the world... pardon the sarcasm. I'd love to know I have something that can actually be treated and possibly get my life back.

But thank you again for your responses and hope there are more to come. Right now I only use benedryl to treat my allergies but that will be changing soon and it's good to know what to stay away from.

Shananegans
  14. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

I take allergy shots...four months now. Allergic to molds, grasses, animal dander, cats, anything with mint, the list goes on and on. Its supposed to get better at about 6 months I was told. My Dr told me I was allergic to cold water the other day when I was in water aerobics and my fingers turned dead white and tingled. I think he called it Rheunds or something like that.
    Anyway...
    In the books I have read, they say there is a correlation between allergies and FMS.