Allergy Induced asthma

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fairydust39, Dec 7, 2005.

1. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I have just returned from my DR and She says I have Asthma. On top of everything else--- that's all I needed! Dr put me on Singulair once a day. Does any one else have Asthma and use Singulair? My My My just another thing to drive me crazy LOL but what else can I do.
    Shirley
  2. XKathiX

XKathiX New Member

I use to take Theo-dur but when they phased that medication out my doc switched me to Singulair the and inhaler Advair.

It's worked wonderfully for me!
  3. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I took my 1st pill tonight and it has helped me.I don't use an inhaler yet but may have to later. My Singulair is 10 mgs.,is that what yours is? It has opened up my sinuses and my ears some. Thank God for that. Is your Asthma allergy induced too?
    Shirley
  4. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I will have to look for the Mucinex and try that too. I have so much flem and cough all the time. I am so sorry that you have Asthma on top of all the other problems! The Singulair has opened my ears some and my sinuses too. I have really suffered as I'm sure that others have too. I will pray for all.
    Hugs Shirley
  5. shep

shep New Member

I too have allergy induced bronchial astmha. It gets very bad when I smell cleaning products, perfume, ect. (mostly smells.)

I cannot take the allergy medications as I have high blood pressure. The Musinex works great for me as it thins out the muscous and allows me to spit it out.

I have problems sleeping because of the drainage from my sinus. I use a c-pap machine for apena and addeda humidifier to it and it helped greatly. Maybe you could just use a humidifier.
    Also, use an air cleaner in your home also.
    Wishing you the best.
    Shep
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The air there is thin, dry, and polluted. My asthma was worse this time of year. Didn't your doc give you an inhaler? You need something to stop asthma attacks. The pills are good but not for an acute attack. They usually also give an inhaler to stop the attack before it gets worse.

I live in FL now and no longer have asthma.

I once read that everyone who has asthma has allergies. If you can find out what your allergies are, it might help you to avoid the allergens. Unfortunately, when it's the very air over the city one breathes which is the problem, it's impossible to avoid. When I exercised, the asthma worsened.

I have a Combivent inhaler now just in case I get sick and have any buildup of fluid on my lungs.

Love, Mikie
  7. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I have 3 air cleaners and a humidifier.I will look for the Mucinex. I also live in the mountains but no pollution here thank God. I have never had an Asthma attack and hope I never do.Dr didn't give me an inhaler,she thought I didn't need it.Mine is mostly coughing and a lot of mucus and if I get a cold,it's sooo much worse. I also have sinus problems.I have so many allergies MCS,food sensitivities,dust,dogs,cats,and 4 kinds of mold. It effects my hearing and I'm almost total deaf now. I got a bird and think that I may have to get rid of it!! I hope not. Thanks for the respond.
    Hugs Shirley
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Especially if you are sensitive to a lot of things. The harsh blue/green dye gave me a rash. Plain old Guaifenesin is sold here in a white tablet. It is the fast acting type, unlike the Mucinex. You can get an Rx from the doc and have the Guai compounded for you at a compounding pharmacy. If you have insurance, it should cover this.

Buy or make a saline solution with sea salt and sterile water. Snort it up your nose all day long to keep the sinuses clear. Tilt your hear slightly forward when you snort to get it in the sinus cavities. Don't buy a solution which contains a preservative as it makes the sinuses worse.

I would ask about an inhaler or nebulizer. Asthma is best prevented than waiting for an attack. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  9. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I have Guai and will try that. I have a Water Pic with a attachment for the nose but don't use it much. The salt water burns something awful when I use it. I am raw in the nasel and sinus passages,after using that ---I feel like I'm on fire. I will ask the Dr about an inhaler! What is the best kind to ask for? I also started Doxy 3 times a day. I am feeling a wee bit better.
    Hugs Shirley
  10. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

I was diagnosed with asthma about two year ago. Had a very bad flare up in October induced by cold/allergy. I had been using inhaler (Albuterol) as needed for two years. I was prescribed Singular in October as well as nebulizer with inhaled steroids (can't remember mixture compounded at pharmacy) twice a day.
    The nebulizer routine is getting stale. If I continue to improve, doctor says I can cut back to nebulizer once a day.
    Still will have to take Singular. Also was prescribed a Epiject pen in case I got into trouble. I think I've been going around half-breathing for years, something is making it worse since I got older. IT doesn't help that I live in the greater Houston, TX area...second only to LA for air pollution.

Take care.
  11. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

Sorry your having so much trouble breathing. I'm like you,I think I have not been breathing very well either. Do you have Chemical sensitivities? Anything with a strong oder can cause sooo much trouble. Also get an air purifier and keep doors and windows shut.Also get unscented laundry products,that helped me more than anything that I did. I have to have everything unscented. Let's pray that we all get better.
    Hugs Shirley