Allergy Testing?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Xavier, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Xavier

Xavier New Member

I am suppose to have some allergy testing done in the morning. I think they said they are testing for like 65 things, and that they will do it on my back. I am hypersensitive to many things. But I want to find out what i am really allergic to. It's kind of funny. I have had a colonoscopy, endoscopy, live biopsy, etc and I am probably more freaked out about this than I was for the others. It is kind of silly, but certain things really bother my fragile nervous system. And it just seems odd to have some of those vary things injected into my skin. Can anyone help ease my worries?? Or make them worse if that's the case...LOL?
  2. Xavier

Xavier New Member

I am suppose to have some allergy testing done in the morning. I think they said they are testing for like 65 things, and that they will do it on my back. I am hypersensitive to many things. But I want to find out what i am really allergic to. It's kind of funny. I have had a colonoscopy, endoscopy, live biopsy, etc and I am probably more freaked out about this than I was for the others. It is kind of silly, but certain things really bother my fragile nervous system. And it just seems odd to have some of those vary things injected into my skin. Can anyone help ease my worries?? Or make them worse if that's the case...LOL?
  3. WorldFalls

WorldFalls New Member

Hi there!

I've had allergy skin testing done three times. I'm also very hypersensitive to a variety of substances. Hoenstly, the skin testing was not bad at all. You'll feel a little bit of itching at the sites of things you react to, but shortly after your skin test, they'll probably give you an antihistimine and some cream to stop the itching. I understand why you are bothered at the idea. I'm serverly allergic to cats, dogs, and dust mites, and the idea of them putting that stuff on me grossed me out! Now I'm getting allergy shots twice a week. They inject that stuff in me with the hopes of building up resistance. I've had no problems at all with this.

Anyway, you've been through an endoscopy, which is what I have to do Friday and I'm terrified of that! Did you find the procedure to be uncomfortable? Any advice?

Elayna

4. Xavier

Xavier New Member

I found the endoscopy to be a piece of cake. But that also came after the long fast and mild discomfort of a colonoscopy. Therefore, the endo seemed like a walk in the park. Like many others, I am very sensitive to medication. The darvocet and versed combo puts me out for the whole day. I have had two done and no discomfort in the least. Hope that helps :)
  5. WorldFalls

WorldFalls New Member

I appreciate your comments. This is something I have been dreading for a long time. My dad had this procedure when I was 19 (I'm 32 now) and he was diagnosed with esohpagus cancer and died a few months later. In those days, the tube they put down there was a lot bigger, and my dad reported that it was quite unpleasant. But I know the scopes they use these days are much smaller.

May I ask if you felt like you were choking? Was it hard to breath when they put the tube down? I feel better for your comments. I've put this off twice now, and I'm determined that I'm not going to whimp out on Friday!

Please, let me know how your testing goes tomorrow! I'll be thinking of you!

Elayna
  6. Xavier

Xavier New Member

The versed really makes me forget just about everything. I have never had any problems either time with discomfort or a choking feeling while the procedure was being done. Now, my mom did complain of a choking feeling, but she had her's done several years ago. Plus, she doesn't respond well to meds. If all goes well, they will spray your throat to relax and help control the gag reflex, and then you will wake up and start to babble. Maybe even asking questions over and over again because you can't remember that you already asked them. The last part is obviously not the same for everyone, but it certainly was the case for me. Now, you will likely have some stomach discomfort afterwards. Maybe mild cramps and a bloated feeling. You probably won't be in the mood to eat anything heavy either. You will more than likely want soap, salad, sandwich, etc. Something along those lines. I can all but assure you that youwill be just fine. It really isn't bad at all...Okay now, does anyone else have any good or bad allergy testing experiences..lol?
    [This Message was Edited on 10/09/2002]
  7. WorldFalls

WorldFalls New Member

Hi! Did you have your testing done? How did it go?
  8. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Hello. I, too, have allergies & have been taking shots since 1993 -- every 1 to 3 weeks depending on how I feel, what's the season, if I worked with or was around old paper or dusty materials, etc.

The allergy tests were very simple, very quick. Like a bunch of pin-pricks. I didn't start sneezing or gagging & I didn't swell up much.

The shots & flonase have been great for me. I hope you find similar ways of controlling your allergies.

best thoughts.
  9. Xavier

Xavier New Member

Well, the test started off okay. I had a little anxiety attack while waiting, but I could have predicted that. The test itself was easy. About two hours after I left though, I started getting a headache. By the end of the night it was so bad I wanted to stick something in my forehead to relieve the pressure. However, I am doing better this morning. I just had the food allergy testing done. Next time I have to do the environmental portion. I wish they had of told me I was going to need to make two trips. Also, I didn't realize you couldn't get allergy injections while using beta bolockers, so I guess that is out. And on top of all that.....I got an email from my hepatologist saying that they needed to see me in the office. I never get that honor unless something is wrong. And I did just have blood taken. So, I get to stress about that until they can squeeze me in for an appointment *sigh*.

BTW- If you don't chicken out, I hope your "scope" goes well today :)
  10. WorldFalls

WorldFalls New Member

Wow, I'm sure sorry to hear you had such a rough time of it. When I did my allergy testing, I only had to go in one time. They must be testing you for more things. I don't have food allergies, just the environmental stuff. Was the headache from allergic reaction or stress? I hope the next testing goes better for you.

Thanks for your kind support with the endospopy. I did it, and like you said, it was nothing. I was very scared to do this because my father did it 13 years ago and was found to have cancer. He died only a few months after diagnosis. I was having similar symptems as he had, so needless to say, I was terrified. But all I have is a hiatle hernia (sp?). I guess that's not great, but it's a lot better than cancer!

Anyway, thanks again for your encouragement. I was very close to cancelling it, but found strength because you shared your experience. I really hope things go better for you with the next testing. And hopefully that thing with the hepatologist won't be too bad. I'll keep you in my thoughts. The best of luck to you, and please, keep us informed.

Elayna