almost constant sore throat w/ CFS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mmmsccc, Sep 4, 2006.

1. mmmsccc

mmmsccc New Member

Hello, I am new to this forum. I don't have a computer at home so i will not be able to come here as often as i'd like but i will do my best to come often as i can.

I have not been officially dx w/ CFS but i have all the symptoms and my mother and brother have both been dx w/ CFS. I have the almost constant fatiguej, major joint pain and a sore throat almost all the time. I am wondering about the sore throat part. Does anyone else get this? There are two bumps on my neck under my jaw (not tonsils...dont have those) and they swell and get sore as well. I have read that this is a common symptom of CFS, but have never really had the chance to talk to anyone who has the same issue. I guess i'm looking to see that i am not the only one that has this symptom. Any advice or replies are much appreciated.

Wish me luck, as my insurance starts soon and i am trying to find me a compassionate and caring dr. I have been mistreated so often by doctors when complaining of CFS symptoms (i'm sure most of you have had this problem too) so i am afraid to try a doctor again, but feel i must do this so i can maybe start feeling better.

thank you all for listening to me rant and please give any advice possible. thank you all and it is good to be here in this new forum. (well it's new to me lol )
  2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

This is from the web.
    The symptoms of CFS are:

1. Four or more of the following symptoms must have been present for longer than six months:
    Short-term memory loss or a severe inability to concentrate that affects work, school, or other normal activities.

Sore throat.

Swollen lymph nodes in the neck or armpits.

Muscle pain.

Pain without redness or swelling in a number of joints.

Intense or changing patterns of headaches.

Unrefreshing sleep.

After any exertion, weariness that lasts for more than a day.
    2. The fatigue must be severe as indicated by the following:
    Sleep or rest does not relieve it.

The fatigue is not the result of excessive work or exercise.

The fatigue substantially impairs a person's ability to function normally at home, at work, and in social occasions.

Even mild exercise often makes the symptoms, especially fatigue, much worse.

3. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

A sore throat is a sign that I have pushed myself and will go into a flare and get really sick. I used to get a sore throat and swollen glands all the time and was so relieved to find that it was another symptom of CFIDS. My sore throat goes away if I rest. Try not to push yourself. If you do have CFIDS, you will do yourself harm by not getting enough rest.

I wish you luck finding a good doctor.

Lolalee
  4. TFD

TFD New Member

I am just now reviewing the message board after being away for a short time.

Please watch your sore throat. My boss and dear friend of 16 years had a sore throat that wouldn't go away. Finally after 8 months and when knots popped up in his neck, he decided to go to and ENT. He had been seeing his PC. The diagnosis is cancer...stage 4. I don't mean to scare you but...never wait. Stay active in your care. Physicans often take things like a sore throat as allergies or viral. I wish my friend had a second opinion when his throat wouldn't stop hurting. I know that a sore throat is a symptom of FM and CFS, but it can also be something much more severe.

Good luck and God Bless.

TFD
  5. mmmsccc

mmmsccc New Member

I just want to say thank you to everyone for all the kind replies and for taking the time to answer my questions. It helps me to be able to talk to and listen to people who can relate to how horrible i feel and people who will not invalidate me. I thank you all for that so much. I know that I do not have cancer only because I have been tested for everything possible and all tests came back normal. The sore throat that i have has been coming and going and coming back again for several years now. (it started after I had mono years ago along with the fatigue. The joint pain and eye pain came later) I gave up on doctors because none of them believed me and some were really abusive. But the more I learn about CFS, the more I am starting to wonder if this is CFS that I have. Maybe I am not crazy after all. The fatigue seems to flare up around the same time the sore throat does. The joint pain can be almost unbearable at times. Today at work I cried while working because the pain is so horrible and the loneliness of nobody in my life believing me or caring.

Thank you all again for the advice and kind words. It helps me just to have made some new friends here in this forum who can relate and listen to me rant. I apologize for the rants. I have nobody in my life i bother to talk to about this since nobody believes me anyways. :( So thank you all again and again.

I will let eveyone know how the doctor appointment goes. i am petrified but i gotta do it. Take care everyone. God bless, and thank you again.

6. mmmsccc

mmmsccc New Member

i never heard of the cherry juice idea for sore throats...but will give it a try. i'm willing to try anything. thank you so much for the advice.
  7. mmmsccc

mmmsccc New Member

i just wanted to thank everyone for your advice and for validating my pains and for caring. this is a wonderful forum full of wonderful people. i can't wait til i can afford a computer of my own...'cause when i can, i will spend a lot of time on this forum!!! Healing hugs to everyone
  8. TerryS

TerryS Member

I haven't been officially diagnosed with CFS yet, but was diagnosed with FM last week by my rheumy.

I have been very ill for six weeks now and out of work. I have had a sore throat every single day...along with extreme exhaustion, pain in all four extremities, headache, etc.

I have a past history of cytomegalovirus and now have "chronic/reactivated" epstein barr (mono).

I'm taking info with me (from the CDC) regarding CFS on Friday when I see my PCP again. I meet all of the criteria for CFS, as well as FM.

If my PCP won't get on board with this, I have found an infectious disease doc in my area that believes in CFS. I'm going to see him next week.

Good luck finding a good doctor. Maybe it will help to take in the info from the CDC. I would think that most docs would respect what the CDC has to say.

TerryS
  9. Scapper

Scapper New Member

I've had a sore throat every single day since the onset of CFS. I'm afraid to tell you how long I've been sick, I don't want to discourage you.

I hope you find a doctor who will test for the common viruses found in CFS. Here's a list of the ones I tested positive for:

Human Herpes Virus #6
    Human Herpes Virus #8
    Epstein Barr Virus
    Coxsackie Virus
    Cytomegalovirus

I'm on a natural protocol for viruses but many people here have gotten results from varying anti-virals.

Hope this helps.

scapper