Almost died from Double Pneumonia (sorry so long)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kellyamos, Feb 14, 2010.

1. kellyamos

kellyamos New Member

Hi everyone. I haven't posted in awhile, but I was hoping to seek some help from all of you great people.

Here is my harrowing story: In mid December, I came down with what I thought was the flu. Went to my primary doc. He gave me usual antiboitics and said "Yep you have the plain ole flu". After about a week, I was not getting better. He ordered a chest X-ray and it came back fine. He said to ride it out and check back with him in Mid January.

Well on Dec. 23, I could not take it any more. Went to ER and I was admitted and after MANY tests, I was disgnosed with double pneumonia. After 3 days and the absolute WORST care from the hospital staff and I was not getting better, but worse. My parents and hubby forced them to put me in ICU.

After 8 days in ICU and being pumped full of anti-virals, antobiotics and a ton of other stuff, I finally started to get better. I spent a total of 15 days in this hell hole.

Well, I just discovered on Friday afternoon just how bad of shape I was, when I had a follow-up app't with the Pulmonary doc. He told me that he has seen many patients over the years that were as sick as me and a very large persentage of them did not live.

WOW! What a scary thing to hear. I am 48, and have RA and FM. Yeah, I really needed this pnuemonia on top of my other illnesses. I am just so drained and tired all the time. Can any of you please tell me what I can do to help get my strength back and to help relieve the tremendous stress I am feeling?

I am still off work and willl return in a couple weeks. I am so worried that I won't be able to go back to work.

Thank you all for any help you can provide me. I greatly appreciate it.

2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

not thinking well enough to come up with suggestions rt now, but I wanted to send you {{{{{{hugs}}}} and encouraging sorry you had to go thru that, but glad that you are past the worst part of it
  3. kellyamos

kellyamos New Member

Yes, I did get the flu shot back in October. When I fist started getting sick, I think my primary care doc just thought it was the flu and that is why he prescribed the antibiotics. When I did not get better, but a chest x-ray was clear, guess he just through it would run it's course.

When I was admitted to the hospital, I think at first did not know if it was a viral or bacterial pneumonia, so they just pumped me full of both drugs for about 5 or 6 days. The pulmonary doc somehow figured out it was a viral double pneumonia.

I do have Short term disibillty from my job thankfully. I do know that it will take awile to over this and that I could get it again. Especially since I take methotrextate for my RA. This drug kicks my immune system way down.

Just want to thank you all for your responses. I will take things slowly. Unfortunately, my husband is NOT caring at all towards me, which is really sad and pathetic.... but that of course is another whole story...

Thanks again,

Thanks again
  4. Cinderbug

Cinderbug New Member

Your story certainly is scarey.

I have pneumonia now but I am at home, praying that I do not end up in the hospital.

Like you, my last hospital experience was haorrowing.

I was being for a sinus infestion 3 weeks ago and 4 days ago I was having trouble breathing. I went to the ER and they dignosed right lower lobe pneumonia. I had not expected that ...I thought it was bronchitis.

I went in this afternoon for a follow up chest X-ray and see the nurse practioner tomorrow.

I feel like I am drowning in fluids and can't stop coughing.

I never realized how miserable ( and scarey) pneumonia can be.

I have CFS and FMS and I am a 54 y/o retired RN

I am so glad you are better.

Take care of yourself.

5. kellyamos

kellyamos New Member

I am so sorry you are goinf through what I went through. I am sending you a soft hug hoping thing are better with you.

So what did the nurse practioner say? And how about the chest X-ray? You know I certainly learned a lot through this nightmare. Chest X-rays are NOT the best test to determine pneumonia.

As I mentioned in my message, that my primary doc sent me to have an X-ray and it came back totally clear. But just 2 days later when I was could not take it any more, I checked into the ER. They immediately did a CT scan and it showed full blown pneumonia and both lungs were complately filled with fluid.

So, if you have to push them to get a CT scan, I would highly recommend it if you are still coughing that bad. Please let me know how you are doing and I will say a little prayer for you.

Take care,

6. peggg

peggg New Member

Hi- we need to talk! Pretty much the same thing happened to me. It's been almost a year now since I went to the ER, ended up in the ICU for 17 days, and my lung doctor told me- you should have been dead!- I know - its hard to deal with sometimes. I'm on oxygen, so its a constant reminder of what I went thru. It would be nice to talk to someone who's been thru that. My family loves me, but they don't get the "junk" that goes with this ordeal. I'm 49 yrs old- used to live in so. cal. Write back. Peg
  7. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

If your primary care doc thought you just had the flu, he should NOT have prescribed antibiotics to you because they only work on bacterial infections, not viral infections. Any good doctor should know that.

Hope you are feeling better soon!
    [This Message was Edited on 04/18/2010]
  8. skeptik2

skeptik2 Member

Not like you, though; I went to ER on Easter. I'd had what I thought was
    reactions to the highest pollen counts ever (and i'm not "allergic' to them!),
    and let it go for about 9 days before I gave in and went to the ER.

A chest x-ray showed pneumonia in one lung, but my Myasthenia Gravis
    made it much worse as i could not clear the phlegm from my bronchials,
    and I had an infection in there also. I was lucky; a pulmonologist was on
    duty in the ER (maybe because so many people were having trouble
    because of the high pollen counts), and he said, this is your lucky day!

He knew exactly what to do (a breathing machine treatment (nebulizer?),
    then antibiotics with something added for patients with MG,and a special
    inhaler to add to my other one, plus 20mg Prednisone x 2 daily.
    He said I could stay in hospital unless I had good care at home
    (which I did), so I came home and Tuesday, I was feeling
    like a million dollars. I couldn't sleep more than 2 hrs at a time, I was
    so full of Prednisone, but man, I want that stuff more often, LOL. Not
    really, but feel it was the magic that did the trick.

I still feel great except I'm going off cigs and thru withdrawal, which is
    really, really bad...any worse, I'm calling dr or going to ER for HELP!
    (They really should hospitalize us for 3-4 days, keep us sedated
    while poison leaves our system!).

Hope all of you take good care of yourselves and do all you can to
    conserve your energy and build up immune system. Probiotics a
    must after antibiotics, too.

(((((((((HUGS TO ALL))))))))))