Almost passed out from severe bladder pain last night. Scared and shocked.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by zenouchy, Oct 7, 2008.

1. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi All,

Hope you are all doing as well as possible. I could be doing better. As my subject line indicates, I almost passed out last night from severe pain. It's from interstitial cystitis. I've had plenty of pain from fibromyalgia (although better now due to the Guai Protocol), bad menstrual cramps and bladder pain from I/C, but NOTHING this severe. It was pretty scary.

I'm so careful to avoid foods that set off the I/C, but once in awhile a food gets past me that I forget about because the list of foods on the "don't eat" list is VERY long. I think smoked turkey that I ate over the last two months may have gradually caused the problem, OR, my urology nurse said that she heard that allergies can cause severe flare-ups.

Either way, I was just trying to go to the bathroom (jeez!) and the process of "going" made the pain completely extreme (sorry if that's a bit detailed). I got this horrible wave of nausea, dizziness and lightheadedness because the pain was so severe---I felt like I was floating. Pain meds can make the nausea even worse, but it was time for my next dose, so I took some, desperate to make the pain go away. I ran to my bed completely doubled over and took more Advil while my husband listened to me cry. I felt like I was being stabbed. It eventually got better (thank GOODNESS) and this morning I'm better but have a "nausea hangover".

This morning I called a few docs and luckily got hooked up with a urologist that's new to our city that specializes in I/C (she's booked out for 5 weeks, but at least I get to see her). I haven't had I/C pain in 7 months. It's weird how my I/C can be fine for so long and then all of a sudden---BAM.

Thank you all so much for listening and your support. It was very scary.

Be well everyone and have a great day.

Warm hugs,

Erika
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

hi erika

Sorry to hear how awful your nite was.

Could you tell me a little about ic? My granddaughter keeps getting bladders infections but has the kind of pain y
    ou described Im wondering if she has this.

thanks for your time jenny
  3. Catseye

Catseye Member

Hi zenouchy,

I'm so sorry this is what you have to deal with. The only advice I can offer is help with the nausea if you have to take pain meds that cause it. There's a pill prescribed for acid reflux, called Reglan. It's for nausea. It works by relaxing the upper esophageal muscle, which spasms causing nausea. I noticed once that when I took the Reglan with a pain pill, I didn't get the nausea that usually came with it. While I could only take half a pill without the Reglan, I could take a whole pain pill if I took the Reglan with it. It was always the nausea that limited how much pain medicine I could take at one time.

hope this helps

karen
  4. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

I'm sorry your granddaughter is experiencing severe pain also.

There's a great website you can go to that will explain I/C much better than I can.

Go to www.ichelp.org . There's a section on the left hand side colored blue that's titled "Patient Information". When you click on that, there's a subsection called "What is IC?" chock full of very thorough info.

People that keep getting bladder infections often get diagnosed with I/C; that does not definitively mean that your daughter has it though. I suggest that she finds a board certified urologist that if possible has a sub-specialty in I/C. Urogynecologists are also good in treating this condition; just be sure to ask if they treat patients with I/C. She should also get a procedure called a cystocsopy to rule out other urological conditions; that often helps to confirm an I/C diagnosis. Best of luck to your granddaughter.

All the best,

Erika
  5. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Thank you so much for your post. It turns out that I also have GERD. I take Aciphex for that, and it only helps somewhat, but it's better than nothing so I take it. I'll ask my doctor about Reglan and see if that would help better with the GERD and also with nausea from pain meds. That would kill two birds with one stone! (The only kicker is how much Reglan costs with my insurance.)

Thanks very much for letting me know about that and for your support. Hope you are feeling well and that you have a great day.

Warm hugs,

Erika
  6. Catseye

Catseye Member

I was diagnosed with acid reflux, but I think I really had low stomach acid at the time that was the real problem. Have you tried Rich's stomach acid test? Here is a copy of it from his post:

If you want to test to see if your stomach acid is low, you can try this simple test at home: On an empty stomach, such as first thing in the morning, drink an 8-ounce glass of water into which you have mixed one-quarter teaspoon of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). Using a clock or watch, measure how long it is before you burp. If you have enough stomach acid, you should burp within two minutes. If you haven't burped within 5 minutes, you can stop timing.

I was taking prilosec but since my acid was low, then it just made it impossible for me to digest fats and proteins properly, and it wasn't long after that I ended up with CFS.

Are you avoiding all wheat and dairy and the common allergen foods? I think most of GERD is just food related. Once you fix the guts, you can go back to most foods, but if you eat the wrong foods while your gut is messed up, then it will wreak havoc on the intestines, digestion and the immune system. Have you ever wondered about gut dysbiosis and have you seen the site beatcfsandfms.org?

karen
  7. 3gs

3gs New Member

thanks for info.

Sometimes she doesn't bladder infection but gets the pain so she thinks its another one coming on. Thats why this caught my attention!

Strong suspsion she has fibro.

hope your nite goes better
    jenny

[This Message was Edited on 10/07/2008]
  8. Catseye

Catseye Member

Hey, I just remembered. I always used to try half a pill of certain things to see if that was enough. It would save money and maybe I just didn't need a full dose. I just recalled that I only took half a Reglan every time, that was all I needed to get rid of the nausea. They came in easy to break, thin, round tablets. Just a suggestion if you like to be frugal with meds like I do. I don't remember the dose in mg.

karen
    [This Message was Edited on 10/07/2008]
  9. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Karen, thanks again for the info re: the Reglan and all of the other info as well. Much appreciated.

Jenny, I/C mimics bladder infections, so I would strongly recommend that your granddaughter see a good board certified urologist. Bladder pain and going to the bathroom a lot are hallmarks of I/C but they ARE NOT a bladder infection.

Jam, please see what I wrote to Jenny. I/C is not a bladder infection. Please see ichelp.org for more info if you wish. :)

I had a better night last night. No horrific pain. There was some pain and some latent nausea, but I think it's getting better. Thank you all very much for your posts and support. I hope you all are well and have a great day.

Warm hugs,

Erika