Almost Time For Psychologist Visit

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BlueSky555, May 27, 2006.

1. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

and yes, I'm getting nervous because I have NEVER been to anyone like this before in my life. Also, have never really talked in depth about my problems and just curious in what to expect. I think I sent out a post on this when I found out I was going but don't remember if I asked question or not.

Will this person ask me, "why am I there"? or "what possessed you to come to see me"?

Any little things that anyone would like to share without giving me any of your own personal information would be greatly appreciated. I would just like to know most of all, how this is going to get started.

Thank you all,

BlueSky555
  2. GiraffeLoverJen

GiraffeLoverJen New Member

BlueSky555,
    I am a veteran when it comes to psychologist visits. I've spent the past 6 years of my life in therapy and I have found it very helpful. The first session will mainly be composed of the psychologist asking you lots of questions and one of them will probably be about why you are there and what you want to achieve by being there. Just be honest. Sometimes I've had to say, "I don't know why I'm here, I just need help." I think honesty is the big key in making therapy work. If you don't know what to say, let the therapist know that. Don't try to give answers that sound good, just say what you know to be true for yourself.
  3. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

of the population has been in therapy , and the other 50%
    should be .

There is nothing to fear . Everyone breathing has issues to deal with ( unless they live in denial) at some point in life . A mature person seeks objective help . A weak person refuses to look at himself or his circumstances .

I went when I was young and had anxiety attacks , and it was not scary at all.

Well balanced people seek therapy all of the time . It can help you see things from a different perspective .
    If you find a good therapist ( some are NOT) you will benefit and wonder why you ever hesitated .
  4. mamie43

mamie43 Member

GiraffeloverJen is exactly right. We can be helped a lot faster when we are completely honest with the therapist. He/she is there for YOU. There is nothing to be nervous about or nothing to feel embarrassed by. The only difference between the 2 of you is the talents/work that you practice. They have problems just like we do.

They sometimes have patients with horrifying lives to deal with. Some in which we may never imagine. People with chronic illnesses and depression are seen regularly because it is very difficult to be positive and to try to have a normal life while we suffer from this DD. Mental Health workers hear a lot worse than we ever could imagine.
    Relax. This may be one of the best things that can happen to you. I wish I could afford it. But, here in Canada, its very expensive.

Hugs,
    Mamie43
  5. MnLady

MnLady New Member

You will be so happy to be able to visit a psychologist if you have a good one. Not to say some are bad, but we 'click' with some people better than others, pshychologists included.

My daughter was sexually assulted when she was 14 which was my reason for finally visiting a psychologist. My doctor saw what the emotional crisis was doing to me.... severely worsening my Fibromyalgia. My migraines had become constant too.

My psychologist helped me greatly, which in turn helped me to better care for everyone in my household...and mostly..myself.

Hugs and best wishes to you dear lady. Relax and be yourself and all will be fine.