Alpha Lipoic Acid - benefits anyone???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bunchy, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I've been debating whether or not to try this for various ailments including the MCS and for the liver (on a load of rx meds) and I have read that it can help raise glutathione and purify the body and get to toxins in the brain too. Don't know if this is reliable info or not - seems too good to be true.

Can anyone let me know their experiences with this supp and any more info about it.

I'm worried that a side effect listed is nausea, from which I already suffer from with the DD's occasionally.

All answers of any kind would be appreciated - thanks.

Love Bunchy x
  2. spacee

spacee Member

ALA has been one of the supplements Dr. Cheney has recommended for decades.

I took it, stopped but started again but for different reasons. My hands go numb
    and tingle at night. It has just about relieved that. But I still wear the wrist supports.

That isn't much...

Love, Spacee
  3. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

You've jogged my memory - I was interested in it mainly for the things I had read about it decreasing Central and Peripheral Nervous symptoms such as tingling, burning, irritated nerves all over etc, like you said you have in your hands for example.

I have a lot of this stuff going on and wondered if this supp might help adress that. I do take Klonopin which has been a Godsend but I try not to take too much so I was looking for something natural that may help a little on top of that.

BTW I used to get that in my arms at night - it's gone now but it's not fun is it? I hope it goes away for you soon.

Bunchy x
  4. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Please see above post to Spacee for why I would like to try it (along with trying to help my MCS which although improved is still a problem)

I also wanted to try the undenatured whey but it is pricey (I'm in the UK) and apart from Mikie (on here) I've not heard anyone report any benefits from it.

NAC seems to help some people - I think it has helped me with my MCS along with Milk thistle and probiotics.

I couldn't cope without the Klonopin for the "irritated nerves" symptoms though!

Love Bunchy x