Alpha Lipoic Acid, Neuropathy, Hypoglycemia, oh my!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by happycfs, Aug 31, 2012.

1. happycfs

happycfs Member

Hi Guys,

I have been having horrific, stabbing neuropathy pain. (I am literally yelping and screaming throughout the day, but believe me, I am NOT usually very vocal when I have pain. It's just not me.) ..So, I was advised to take Alpha Lipoic Acid, and I got time released pills at 300 mgs per day...

I saw that some people said that it brought their high blood sugars down dramatically. As for me, I have hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) problems everyday. I also have POTS (low blood pressure / orthostatic intolerance) and I saw that ALA can bring down blood pressure too. ....If I am already low on blood sugar and blood pressure, is this safe for me to take???

I know that nobody here is a medical doctor, and all that. I am just looking for your thoughts and feelings on this. ANyone else have experience with this?

Thanks everyone!!!!
  2. bct

bct Active Member

Hi Happy, I have idiopathic peripheral neuropathy. Alpha lipoic acid was found to help with p.n. The studies were done at Stanford or UCSF (I can't remember) not too long ago. 6oo mgs a day is optimal, divided into two doses. That is what I take, along with Neurontin and tramadol if it gets really bad. Since taking the ALA I have been able to reduce by about %50 the amount of Neurontin I was taking, which is a good thing!

I am not a medicine man, but my docs have all approved of the ALA.

Best Wishes,