alpha stim please comment the good & bad...................

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bakeman, Dec 10, 2009.

1. bakeman

bakeman New Member

after reading some old posts about the alpha stim units, I am seriously considering buying one. apparently they are fda approved and you need a physicians script to obtain one. the 2 models i am looking at cost 500 & 850 which seems to be absurd but i might consider it if i can find one half priced, used or refurbished. what do you guys think, good product, junk.....? any ideas on how to get one on the cheap?

bake
  2. sabs

sabs New Member

Hi Bake,
    I have been using an Alpha-stim SCS for about 2yrs now.
    The best thing about using it was that after about one month of regular use, it really helped me with anxiety and insomnia. Helped a bit with mood, too.
    The only negative thing I can come up with is that when my husband uses it (at a higher dose) his earlobes get slightly burned.
    They are very expensive, but sometimes the person who sells them has returned ones he will sell for half price. Or check if your insurance will pay part of the cost of an Alpha-Stim 100 model ($800) because they are considered a TENS unit. It can be used for mood as well as pain.
    Hope this helps.
    Sabs
  3. bakeman

bakeman New Member

thanks for the info, yeah i'd consider paying half price. ive been looking on craigslist and ebay. sleep is my main problem i'm on a ton of benzos and muscle relaxers for sleep and i'm concerned about it.

bake
  4. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Bakeman,

I was able to get a refurbished Alpha-Stim 100 model for $580 from an authorized dealer. This same company had the less expensive model refurbished for $380. Both had rent to own options available. I found this company to be quite professional and offer excellent followup consultation. Here's a link to their website:

http://www.alleviahealth.com/

I'm assuming you read a number of my posts regarding my positive results using the Alpha-Stim. I posted recently on the Phoenix Rising message board on how the Alpha-Stim was able to give me many of the benefits I had come to depend on from taking clonazepam. I'll paste it below.

Regards, Wayne

I took clonazepam for several years and found it to be very helpful with sleep. After about 8 years, I began to feel it probably was not good for me to take any longer, perhaps because of some of the reasons Dannybex mentioned.

I took a year to taper off my dosage of 1 mg per night. Each slight reduction brought on withdrawal reactions. It turns out the most difficult transition for me was going completely off the last .1 mg. Took me about several weeks to get over the worst symptoms.

For the following year, I wondered if I would be able to settle into a non-clonazepam regimen. After about a year, I heard about and researched micro-current therapy, specifically a FDA approved device call alpha-stim. It was touted as able to help with things like depression, insomnia, anxiety, etc.

Anyway, it turned out to be a great fit for me. I feel I've been able to get the benefits I had come to depend on with clonazepam, but without the unpleasant side effects, such as feeling like I had a hangover each morning. I use the alpha-stim throughout my days, especially when I'm dealing with sensory overload or feeling over-stimulated.
  5. pagoda

pagoda New Member

and found that my sleep is deeper when I use it. Right now I am not getting any of the "juice" that goes with it, ($), but will definitely go back to it when I can.
    And by the way, is there anything else to use for that liquid? All I can find out about it is that it "conducts" but wouldn't any liquid do that?
  6. bakeman

bakeman New Member

i became aware of this product from one of your postings on another board and then referred back to this board with the link you provided. thanks for sharing your story. also thanks for directing me to were i can hopefully get a good deal. i tried to inquire about dealers but alphastim.com was not working properly and error popped up every time i tried to contact them.

bake
  7. bakeman

bakeman New Member

why are you not getting any of the "juice" that goes with it? what does 'juice'mean? also what liquid are you talking about?

bake
  8. sabs

sabs New Member

I was told that contact lens solution will work if you run out of the liquid that comes with it.
    Sabs
  9. pagoda

pagoda New Member

Sorry--I was not trying to be confusing--I was referring to the conduction liquid that is to be used on the ear clips--
    It seems expensive to me; actually, I have always thought that all liquid conducted electricity--but chemistry has never been my bag!
    Right now I am spending my money on adding some of the supplements y'all have mentioned here.
    I have found, over the years, that nothing does miracles so I pretty much move from one thing to another and then circle back again!
    Sabs--thanks for the info on the contact lens solution--will try it asap!

Happy Christmas to all and to all a good night!
  10. pagoda

pagoda New Member

Sorry--I was not trying to be confusing--I was referring to the conduction liquid that is to be used on the ear clips--
    It seems expensive to me; actually, I have always thought that all liquid conducted electricity--but chemistry has never been my bag!
    Right now I am spending my money on adding some of the supplements y'all have mentioned here.
    I have found, over the years, that nothing does miracles so I pretty much move from one thing to another and then circle back again!
    Sabs--thanks for the info on the contact lens solution--will try it asap!

Happy Christmas to all and to all a good night!
  11. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Bakeman,

Just wanted to do a quick mention. After I discovered that the conduction fluid was about $25 for a very small bottle, I decided to just not use it. I usually set my alpha-stim at about 1.5, and have found I don't need the fluid given I can get the strength I want without it.

Wayne

BTW, did you ever get the alpha-stim? If so, how's it working for you?
  12. Lathuano

Lathuano Member

Hi Brakeman. I realize this thread is half a decade old, but I wanted to let you know that saline solution works as a substitute for the conductive fluid. You can even just mix a cup of water with a tablespoon of salt, or a teaspoon of baking soda.

I don't know if you're still looking for a stim unit for a low price (or anyone else), but I have recently upgraded units and am planning on giving mine to someone who feels like they would be able to use it. If you or anyone else is interested in that offer, simply reply to this post, or shoot me a message.

Cheers
  13. jkennedy

jkennedy Member

The Alpha-Stim solution is $24 for a large bottle, 250 ML. The small bottle is $10 for 15 ML. You can look at the Alpha-Stim site. The solutions are under the Accessories tab.

The large bottle will last anyone a very long time.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016