Also a Duth Research team XMRV "No Evidence!"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gerry50, Feb 26, 2010.

1. gerry50

gerry50 New Member

LONDON, Feb 26 (Reuters) - Hopes of discovering treatments for chronic fatigue syndrome dimmed on Friday after a new study cast doubt on previous findings that a virus linked to prostate cancer might also be associated with the condition.

A Dutch research team investigated a possible link in a European group of patients with the fatigue disorder, also known as ME, that affects 17 million people worldwide, but found no evidence of the virus, known as XMRV.

The findings in the British Medical Journal were the latest to contradict a U.S. study published last year that found XMRV in the blood of 68 out of 101 patients with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). [ID:nN08539703]

That study prompted hopes that CFS patients might benefit from a range of drugs designed to fight AIDS, cancer and inflammation.

CFS, or myalgic encephalitis (ME), is a debilitating condition that causes disabling physical and mental fatigue that does not improve with rest.

"Although our patient group was relatively small and we cannot formally rule out a role of XMRV, our data cast doubt on the claim that this virus is associated with chronic fatigue syndrome in the majority of patients," said Frank van Kuppeveld and Jos van der Meer of the Nijmegen Medical Centre, who led the study.

What causes CSF is unclear, but many people say they think their illness started after a viral infection.

However, in January 2010, a British research team found no evidence of XMRV in 186 patients with chronic fatigue syndrome and a third study published this month also failed to identify the virus in 170 patients.

"Three papers from three well-respected European laboratories have now independently and unambiguously failed to find XMRV in CFS patients," said Myra McClure, a professor of retrovirology at Imperial College London.

The Dutch researchers said one reason why their results contradict the original findings may be that the U.S. study involved patients from a specific outbreak of CFS in the mid-1980s that has already been linked to several viruses.

It is possible that XMRV was implicated in this outbreak, they said, but is not linked to most cases of CFS elsewhere.

Other U.S. laboratories are now investigating XMRV and CFS further to see if any link can be confirmed.

"New results from other U.S. laboratories will now be very interesting," McClure said. "If the link fails to hold up, it will be another bitter disappointment to affected patients." (Editing by Matthew Jones)

LET' TALK ABOUT IT..........!
    [This Message was Edited on 02/26/2010]
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I can't help but wonder, if XMRV was detected in the US study, if it wasn't something that was confined to cluster outbreaks only. For the rest of us, I have my doubts that we will be found to have XMRV.

I'd also be curious to know, if the WPI were to start from scratch again, ignore their previous work, and use a totally different sample of fresh blood samples taken from a different area of the country, would they still come up with the same results??
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

Read the comments, one tells why they didn't:
    [This Message was Edited on 02/26/2010]
  4. bct

bct Active Member

Thanks for the link; this xmrv stuff is driving me mad!

5. gerry50

gerry50 New Member

What's going on!!!!!

Do you know if Dr. Judit Mikovits has found the XMRV from plasma of recent PCFS.
    I got seek 10 years ago!
    Do we have this XMRV or not? I don't think there are different kinds of CFS one in Europe and one in the USA caused by different agents. If 75% of the sufferers are women, how it can be contagious by partners? I always was told that younger people can get better that the older, now Dr. Mikovits say that the younger people infected by XMRV has more chance to get bad disease that the 30-40 years old people.
    I am going crazy.

6. spacee

spacee Member

Nijegem is in the Netherlands unless, perhaps, there are two of them.

I have a son that lives in the Netherlands one.

Dr. Cheney had a family tested. A mother and two adult children. The children tested
    positive and the mother negative. But, they had all been on an antiviral med for a long time.
    The daughter is 29 and ill about 17 years, I think. SHE (not Dr. Cheney) reports that she is "well". Cheney is first to point out...her words, not his. They have all done the stem cell
    treatment in Panama that Cheney's patients are doing. I believe this was her 3rd treatment.

I, would love to have the world agree with us but if they don't, I still believe in WPI's testing.
    Have ordered the test. I may test negative, I have been on either Kutapressin or Transfer
    Factors many years. But i am going to give it a try.

Spacee, talking about brainfog...dutch is the Netherlands..must have had it bad when posting!! :)

[This Message was Edited on 02/27/2010]
  7. simonedb

simonedb Member

when did you order test? I called VIP last year and they put me on some list to get it but havent gotten back to me.
  8. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

O M G ....good find. mikovits said they dont want us in treatment for XMRV. lombardi said he is sure xmrv is it and that we cannot expect them to go down without a fight. we have to be strong and patient he said[This Message was Edited on 02/26/2010]
  9. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Do you know if there is anyone here in Canada doing XMRV research?
  10. gerry50

gerry50 New Member

I also heard from the WPI center that PCFS in the West side of US can be more infected of the East side patients. Where we are going with this?

Do you think it was too premature to publish the Mikovits results and take them for granted for the entire CFS universe?
    I think it was premature!
  11. spacee

spacee Member

I was put on a list for the test too. 6-8 weeks.

It was by email. I forgot to put my mailing address and they zipped right back within
    2 minutes asking for it.

12. gerry50

gerry50 New Member

Like this the WPI discover will vanish and we will be again in the dark tunnel.
  13. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

yes..dr. paul jolicoeur in montreal.
  14. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Thanks, Sue. It will be interesting to see what Dr. Jolicoeur's result are. If you hear anything, be sure to let us know!
  15. Elisa

Elisa Member

Studies on primates show XMRV is in lymph and reproductive organ tissue and not always the blood...maybe they're culturing the wrong thing.

Maybe its not normally in the blood...

Dr Mikovits is a gifted scientist with skills likely unmatched elsewere - plus she often tested and retested - many times and many methods to get results.

I will try to locate the primate article and post it here...

Here it is:

God Bless,