Also been gone a long time...due to improvements...question about B12

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ilovepink4, Oct 10, 2012.

1. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

I went through a divorce. Shocking to me still but actually helped my fibro immensely. No more dealing with an alcoholic in denial. Not knowing which husband was coming home at night? Sober or drunk.

Anyways, I have been doing great! out of bed most days, after sleeping late...mornings will always be a bit@# for me. but 3 days a week, average, I am on the treadmill walking at a fast pace, with a high incline walking 1-5 miles. 3 is my usual. my weight is back down to normal. I still have to pace myself. I was at lots of weekend softball tournaments in August and there were two days were I had to go sleep in the the shade with the AC on....ahhhh....pillow and my fav quilt....i can sleep curled up , tipped over in the passenger seat with the pillow on the storage thingy in the middle....crazy...

but, i am worried because i am hitting the skids with the wet, wet weather we are having...cold and damp and snow and sleet and rain.....and maybe i am setting my expectations higher and higher...i have many responsibilities that I didn't have before I was divorced. driving my boys everywhere and getting all the groceries and supplies. I still don't cook. my sons cook and my PCA's for my daughter cook for her and just make more for the boys....

I missed taking my vitamin D3 for about 3-4 weeks and didn't get more due to having to order that high of a dose...10,000....but i have been back on for at least a week or two.....

tanning outside and in the salon seems to make me feel better....i don't get it since the doc said you don't get any vit D from the tanning feels good and I crave it BAD.....

i started taking b12 1,000 ius or whatever and I haven't noticed any increase in my energy level! nothing!!! am i on too much? has anyone had any luck with increasing energy with B12??

could the time without the vitD3 made me lose some energy? Why isn't the b12 working? anyone?
  2. neoplus1

neoplus1 Member

to hear you are doing better. I think what the doctor is talking about is that most tanning beds use UV-A radiation to cause a person to tan. The body does not produce vitamin D3 with UV-A, only UV-B radiation. Why you seem to crave a tanning bed I don't know. It could be the tanning beds the salon uses also produce UV-B radiation which some do.

What form of B-12 do you use? Is it cyanocobalamin? If so that could be the problem. Hydroxocobalamin and Methylcobalamin are the best as per the late Richs recommendation. Is the B-12 you take sublingual? Sublingual is better.

It is so good and encouraging to hear you are doing better. Since you are on the up and up with your health and wellness, you should try looking into meditation and qigong. I have been doing meditation for about 2 months and qigong for a few weeks and will be posting a "results" thread soon. So far so good.

Keep doing well!

3. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

I will echo what neoplus1 said about the best from of B12 to take.

I would like to suggest that you tune down the amount of exercise you are doing. Maybe do half, and then after a week, see if your energy levels are better. You may in fact be overdoing it!

On the subject of divorce from a hard to live with spouse, it makes perfect sense that you would feel better without that level of stress in the house. Sometimes we do not know how much stress we have really been living with until it is gone! Then you sit and think, "how did I ever live under that level of stress for so many years?"

It's a different kind of stress than raising kids or working etc.. It's a repressive stress, where you walk on egg shells emotionally all the time. I am happy for your emotional freedom, and I hope you will continue to do well. But do try to slow down a bit dear. Hugs, MicheleK
  4. neoplus1

neoplus1 Member

MicheleK says about exercise. There seems to be a threshold in CFS where exercise can either be beneficial to recovery or detrimental. This is what doctors need to undderstand. Gradual exercise can be good for recovery LATER ON when a person already reaches a certain level of health and function. Prior to that point, it will only exacerbate the condition and trigger terrible flares that will stall recovery.

You seem to be at a point where you can exercise but try to be cautious about it. More doesn't mean better at this point.
  5. ksp56

ksp56 Member

to see you here again! Sound's as if you've had a lot of stressful event's, but are doing well. Good for you!

Everyone else has been so helpful and I only have one thing to add. You said it's cold and rainy where you are. Do you know if you have SAD aka seasonal affective disorder? If tanning beds seem to give your body a boost that you crave, you may have SAD. Many of us do, especially if you live in an area of the country where there are many cloudy day's, and long drab winters without much sun. Tanning and being outside in the sun always make me feel better. I need that sun light and what it give's off.

My body severly lack's Vitamin D. I can tell if I miss several day's. Feel more blah and notice a little less energy.

Go easy on the exercise if you are tired. I have fibro/cfs and have found overdoing exercise can keep me 'recliner bound' if I try to do too much in a short amount of time.

I'm happy your stress has been reduced. It make's all the difference in the world..

[This Message was Edited on 10/10/2012]
  6. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

I will stick with the vitD3 for sure, DL Phenalanine, and Restveratrol since those three were the ones I was taking when I started to feel better!!! I added Biotin and B 12....there are so many I think about taking, too!!! I just get sick of swallowing stuff. My doc is good about checking my vit D levels and thyroid and whatever I ask him to check! lol!!

I don't know what it is about the tanning booth. I just crave the heat or the feeling I get from it. who knows...but I am going to stick with it because I feels so good on my aching body!!!

Thanks for the response, Jamin, Maybe Grapeseed Extract is next on my "to try" list!
  7. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

I looked at my B12 bottle and Viola! you are correct! it says, i shall try sublingual, i hope it doesn't taste horrid...and i will make sure it is the H. and the M. kind you mentioned!

I am very interested in meditation and am waiting for some CDs I ordered to arrive so I can get busy relaxing....Maybe even do a little astral projection while I am at it....I also plan on starting Yoga classes...maybe the studio offers qigong training and classes.....i live in a small town and am lucky to have one studio!!!

I look forward to your results posting...
    Thanks for your help!!!
  8. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

I worked a long time to get myself up to the level I am at...I started at 5 minutes a day...heehee....and no incline....and i remember being so proud to finally make a mile!

I have been sputtering off and on with the treadmill since May when I got bursitis in my hip and didn't know what it i stayed off the treadmill until it felt better and then tried it again, more pain...after about 2 months i went to the doc and he said it was a bad injury to have meaning hard to get rid of....but a few days later, it went crazy and i thought I was in labor with some alien baby or was passing a kidney stone. Couldn't walk to the front door to let the dogs out. was home alone. scary. went to ER and got 2 shots of dialaudid for pain and a shot of toradol, the miracle drug that cured my is an anti inflammatory. one shot in the other hip, by the way and it didn't hurt again! I have been working my way back to my at least 3 days a week, 3 miles a time...and was doing great....turned the incline up another notch...but, was out of town for 5 days and it has been raining and sleeting and cold the entire time.

I just about killed myself getting groceries yesterday and am so miserable today...the cupboards were bare and i have two hungry teenage boys. That weren't available during shopping time!!! I take them to push the cart and carry stuff....i just can't believe what a difference the weather makes for me and it kills my energy...

You ain't kiddin, sister when you talk about the unbelieveable stress you live with and don't realize until it is gone!!! wow! stress really messes us up bad...i was mostly bedridden every winter and most summers....

Thanks for your support, Michelek! Pink
  9. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

You are right about SAD....i live in northern Minnesota and you just don't get much sun here....I have a blue light box but i forget to use it....when i remember, it helps me sleep if I use it in the morning for 30 mins....then i can sleep better at night. It is 4:30 am and I clearly didn't use it today! haha!

That is interesting that you can tell within a few days of missing your vit D...that could explain my lack of energy....that and sleeping like a bat....awake all night, asleep half the day....

Thanks for your kind words! This is always a nice place to come. Such nice people and so supportive!
  10. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

Hi Pink,
    I was wondering if you have FM alone or also have CFS. I have only been here for less than a year, so I don't know your background story as others do who know you.

I have both. The sleeping "like a bat" is so familiar. I go through long phases of being up all night and then sleeping during the day. During those times it none of my sleeping meds or other tricks, like a warm bath etc., work at all! It's so crazy. But it seems a good number of others go through the same thing. It's okay for me since I am disabled and the children are grown and gone, but for someone who has to work, raise children etc., that would be rough.

Hugs, MicheleK
  11. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

ilovepink - you might be low in folate. Many people have trouble converting folic acid, which is synthetic, into a form of folate that can actually be used by the body. and low folate causes a form of anemia which causes fatigue.

I agree to change the form of B12 that you've been taking, Also you may need to take a higher dose. But I had been taking B12 for years in a high dose, even injections and noticed no increase in energy. It wasn't until I started taking folate in the form of metafolin or l-methylfolate (Solgar is a good brand for this) that my energy picked up. so I do both the B12 and folate now.

If you look at your annual blood work, look at the MCV (mean corpuscular volume) number. If it's high or near the top of the "normal" range then you very likely are low in folate and/or B12. Mine was always in the "normal" range but always at the very top, which indicates a deficiency.

By the way congratulation on everything else in your life - am happy to hear you are doing so well overall! I was in an unhappy marriage for several years and much prefer to be out of it. My health didn't improve when I left - I have CFS, not FM, although it has improved very slowly from doing all sorts of detoxing and taking folate etc. I can't exercise due to post-exertional malaise - but am hoping that with continued detoxing I may be able to get past this.

Anyways, good to hear such good news from you!

12. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

I have not been diagnosed with CFS as of yet. When I over do things I get pain in my lymph nodes and they feel like they are bulging. I run a low fever and get the chills. I don't have sore throats and I don't sleep for huge amounts of time. I can only sleep a couple hours, wake up, go back to sleep.....if I am lucky....

so, i have some symptoms and not others....but, i have gone 4 days and 4 nights with no sleep...that is my record...and i am not looking to break it! I wish i didn't have to go out and run my boys around when I am tired but it is still fun to be able to rejoin the world???

I have to sit outside at a football game tonight! on metal bleachers....i am bringing my special pad with the cut out for the is 43 degrees outside at the moment and will be colder at 4:30 to 6:30....i will be sitting with my gf that has fibro too....she doesn't have it quite as bad as i have it but it is nice to have a friend who understands!

well, i am going to sleep the way, my doc has me on adderall to help me with daytime...i have to take a caffeine pill in addition and need to get in to see him about upping the adderall or just sticking with the caffeine pills with the adderall....phentermine used to be my drug of choice for staying awake and it knocks down the pain!! i acually read that somewhere online that caffeine is a natural treatment for thought i had discovered something and would be rich for it!!!! lol!!!

thanks for the hugs and sweet words!
  13. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

I will take your advice and try out the folate....thanks for the congrats on my new life....i am looking for a home Al Anon group to help me fix the damage that was done to me and the kids over my 25 yr marriage....i am 45....was married longer than not married.....

I am taking 1,000 ius of B12 daily but it must be the wrong kind and i will add the folate....i am going to talk to an old classmate tomorrow and she sees a doc for bioidentical a town 80 miles away....before that was as good as across the ocean for me....but now, i can probably swing it....better if I get my guy to drive me....yes boyfriend...lots of men around here.....kinda living my twenties over....was married and raising babies when i was young....anyways, i think that doc will address the thyroid better than my family prac.....

thanks for your kind words and advice.....gonna nap some more while the boys are at school and then go watch some football! Go Thunderhawks!!!! :O)

14. neoplus1

neoplus1 Member

so great to see someone improving and gradually being able to handle more and more physically. It is very inspiring. I think the b-12 switch as well as the folate suggestion is pretty good. The fact that you gradually built up your exercise tolerance was a smart way to go.

If you have trouble finding a place that offers qigong there are many course packages online that can be ordered to learn at home. That is what I did. They come with booklets, dvds, meditation cds, etc. The tricky part is figuring out which "style" of qigong or what organization to get from. I don't think it makes a big difference in the end. Keep doing things to support your health and I hope your progress continues!
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Glad you have been doing so well. We have a lot of people here who are having a hard time with the wet, cold weather. I hope you feel better. Take care and don't be a stranger.

Love, Mikie
  16. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

Wishing you all the best and some good sound sleep! Hugs, MicheleK