Also Loooooove My Kindle

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Before I got my new glasses, I had bought a Kindle. You can change the font size so it is really nice for those of us with less than perfect eyesight. It looks just like ink on paper and the reading window is about the size of a paperback book but very, very thin and lightweight. I can read it outside in bright light, unlike an LCD or LED screen. It wasn't that expensive because I only got the wi-fi enabled one. I figure that there would rarely be a time I wanted to download a book and be unable to find wi-fi (I have it here in my condo).

It only takes 60 seconds to download an entire book. Amazon has my account so when I check in, it only takes one click to download and bill my credit card. There are many, many free books and I have enjoyed reading them. I've also paid for some. Most brand new best sellers run between $9.99 and $12.99. As time goes on, the price drops, sometimes weekly.

Our library was just infested with bed bugs and I have vowed never to set foot in there again. I can't believe they were able to get rid of all the bugs; they like to live in books. Yikes! I like to read in bed. Also, for the life of me, I cannot understand how new books get so stained. Who disrespects books like that? Why would anyone who likes to read intelligent books do that? In any case, it always grossed me out to find unidentifiable stains on the pages. AACK!

Barnes & Noble now has an affordable Nook and it does more than the Kindle. It has the black ink on paper technology but can also be used in color. It can be used as an MP3 player as well. Oh, BTW, the Kindle doubles as a taped book device with a mechanical voice. I've never tried it, though. I think the Nook is the same.

The iPad, and other computer tablets, will download ebooks too but the screens cannot be used in bright sunlight. They are also much more expensive. Of course, they do a lot more too. I did a lot of consumer research before buying and the Kindle and Nook came out about even. At the time, Amazon had more ebooks available and they were a tad cheaper but I doubt that is still true.

People who have ebook devices, in general, read more books. What I like is that I no longer have books all over the place. Of course, I can no longer loan out my books to friends. Also, the Kindle is not the best way to read a book with photographs. All in all, the benefits far outweigh the downsides for me. Anybody else use one of these devices?

Love, Mikie
  2. Juloo

Juloo Member

Do you know if online articles, etc. can be uploaded to Kindle? I read a lot of fanfiction, and some of it is book length. I sure would love to have it all in one place that was NOT my laptop.
  3. Toga

Toga Member

Hi Mikie & All,

My kids got me a Sony Reader for Christmas. (Their idea) But I like it. The only problem is that when I love a book, I like looking at it on my bookshelf.

I have only ordered from Sony but have wondered if I could get books from other sources, ie.
    Amazon. I think Amazon would be less expensive. I must look into that.

Its good to hear other people enjoy these electronic contraptions. I have to be dragged in kicking and screaming (not really) by my kids and grandkids.

I also have an ipod courtesy of the girls.

Mikie, its good too have you back more often. I have always enjoyed following you and your tales. I especially enjoyed hearing about you remodeling your condo. We are the same age and have some things in common. Although I'm not handy with tools. I'm lucky to have a husband that's pretty good.

Keep on keeping on.

4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Juloo, as with most electronic gadgets, the user manual is stored electronically. I had planned on reading it all to get the most benefit out of the Kindle, but I started downloading books and reading them and it is so easy that I forgot about the manual. I do think I read something about being able to download other material but I'm not sure. Sorry I can't answer this for you. If I find something, I'll let you know.

Jam, these readers aren't for everyone. What I read the most are free novels to distract me from what ails me and politics :) Before the Kindle, when I wanted to read a brand new good book, my only option was to pay $29.99 (or less if it made B&N best-seller discount) or going to the library. As I mentioned above, our library is infested with bedbugs. I am not convinced they are all gone despite treatment. Also, I like to read in bed and it disgusts me to find nasty stains on the book pages. Not something I want to cuddle up with. AACK! Don't know why your friend had so much trouble demonstrating her Kindle. They are really simple and easy to use.

Broadcasting, for someone who loves to read, I think an electronic reader is a great gift. When I got the Kindle, it was $139. The Nook was more expensive but is now on sale all over for $149. As I mentioned, the Nook does more than the Kindle and has a color screen. If I were to start shopping now, I would do research again because of the expanding market.

Toga, thanks so much for your kinds words. It's good to be able to spend a bit more time here again and it's good to hear from you. I think my handy project days are over. Even if I get my health back to where it was when I went to work, I think my age has caught up with me. Fortunately, for now anyway, the condo is pretty much done and up to date. It's mostly little things I do these days. I couldn't find a nice simple table runner. Everything was velvet or sating with all kinds of glitz on them. I found a tablecloth at Target and used it to make the runner and a valance for my kitchen window. I have enough left over for six napkins but I got sick of sewing so I put that away for another day.

I think that ebooks can be downloaded to different readers but I don't know which ones. If you go to Amazon and click on books on the left-hand side, and then on ebooks, you can find out which books can be downloaded to different readers. I know I've seen something about that when I was browsing.

Again, thanks to everyone who responded. I think it's good to get feedback on what is out there to help us decide if it's something we might like. When I find something which makes my life easier, or more fun, I like to tell others. What I like might not be what someone else likes but I know when I was researching the readers, consumer feedback was really helpful. Sending lots of love, hugs and prayers to all my buddies here.

Love, Mikie

5. spacee

spacee Member

and now his wife.

The biggest plus I find (since they buy their books and leave them at my house) is that
    I don't have to take them to the library's used book corner :)

My son is reader. Reads while visiting with us and watching tv at the same time. Has
    to have a book in his hand. Always has. Ok, that or a computer game.

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Jam, it's nothing like reading from a computer screen. That's why I didn't get something like the iPad or another tablet computer. I cannot read for long on those kinds of screens. The Kindle, and the Nook, according to the reviews, both have what is called ink-and-paper technology. It's just like reading from a book--no eye strain. Like I said, these readers aren't for everyone but a lot of us do like them.

Spacee, I can relate. I used to always have a book or magazine with me at the doc's or when watching TV. Now, it's usually the Kindle. It slides into my purse when I go to the doc's and I never have to put it down in some germy spot. When my doc came in and saw me reading it, she and her nurse both said how much they love their Kindles. I went back to finish up college in my 40's and I used to study in front of the TV. It became a habit and now it's hard for me to just watch TV and not read during commercials unless I'm tired and winding down. BTW, I hope Santa brings you what you want for Xmas. Was it the Scrubbing Bubbles tool or the Hoover floor scrubber?

Love, Mikie
  7. spacee

spacee Member

The scrubbing bubbles so he can clean his shower easier...aren't I the thoughtful one! :)

8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Love it! This made me laugh. Men do love tools, especially power tools. Perhaps you can get him to do the toilets too. The attachment kit has the small brush which is just right for under the rim. I have to admit that I loved the way it got rid of all the black mold under there which my old toothbrush missed. I think it's the speed and rotation of the brushes which make them clean so well. Now, I think I'll use my sonic toothbrush more often (on my teeth :) When I had thrush, I kinda got out of the habit of using it because I had such a sore mouth.

You're a smart Santa!

Love, Mikie
  9. victoria

victoria New Member

you've made me think more about it, Mikie, especially with your saying that the technology is not like a computer screen. The only problem for me is I know I'd be tempted to download art books... which are things one wants for a long time usually for reference... and there's something about actual books when it comes to that kind of thing (I think). Especially since many are over-sized comparatively.

But I've found myself wanting to read more stories, for some reason. Weird, because I wasn't when I had a pretty good library handy. there's a small english language section that people have donated their extra books to, here, tho it's mostly stuff I have no interest in.

So I wonder how long one lasts - do they eventually break or run out of battery power and hard to get running again? (like original ipods?) Can one back it up as one does with a computer? I'd hate to lose stuff I'd paid for, some things are worth reading again.

bestest... Victoria
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Julie, I think a Kindle would be perfect for someone in the service. I'll pray for his safety.

Victoria, some of the readers have color but the Kindle is only B&W, so Kindles aren't suitable for any kind of books with photos, artwork, etc. I've been reading a ton lately, mostly either cheap or free novels. BTW, you can download the first chapter of any book free before you buy it.

As I mentioned above, I really haven't had much time to read the manual. I believe you can put read books into some kind of archive mode and I know you can remove them permanently as well. You can also organize them by whatever criteria you want. You charge the unit like you do a cell phone. I have mine on a lot and one charge lasts about two weeks. It doesn't take long at all to charge.

I paid for mine with my credit card which carries its own warranty, even if you lose or break it. I also bought an extra year warranty past the one year which comes with the unit because it was cheap thru Target. It's really a well-built unit and I don't think there are a lot of problems with them. That's one thing the articles I read about readers mentioned. They are of high quality. I probably should buy a cover for mine but the screen doesn't seem to scratch and I throw it around. Kate Spade makes designer covers starting at $85; don't think I'll be getting one of those!

Love, Mikie
  11. victoria

victoria New Member

sounding better 'n better! $85 for a Kate Spade cover? Sheesh. I think that could be a niche market for DIY'ers handy with a sewing machine, simple sewing at that. Actually could probably use fusible stuff, LOL.

So you bought yours thru Target because they were on sale? Strange Amazon wouldn't compete with that. I'll have to do some googling, didn't realize these would ever go on 'sale'.

Muchísimas Gracias!
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Victoria, it was a misnomer to call it a "sale." Kindles used to be more expensive. As far as I knew, Amazon was the only place one could buy them. Then, Target ran them at the new, permanently reduced price and I got one. What surprised me was that the ones costing $50 more, which use 2G or 3G or whatever, sold out the fastest. Wi-fi is almost everywhere these days, so I was glad it wasn't the wi-fi models which were sold out. Target hasn't gotten any new ones in and I don't know whether they will. I would think they would for Christmas. The price is the same on Amazon for both models. Yes, I could probably whip up a cover for mine. In fact, Target had some on sale but they sold out too. It wouldn't hurt to protect it, I guess.

Diane, funny you mentioned it. I did see one book which was offered and withdrawn. It's back but at a couple of bucks more. Unless the wi-fi is turned on, I don't see how they could pull anything off a Kindle. Perhaps they wait until you log on and then pull the books. In the time I've been going there, I've only seen it once. The book is left on the site but "no longer offered" is added under it. Then, if they reach an arrangement with the author, purlisher, etc., they put it back in a different spot. I don't think it's a big problem most of the time. I think it's more likely to happen to brand new books but again, I have only seen it once. I still think these readers are amazing.

Love, Mikie
  13. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I thought I would never think about getting one of these but I may ask for one for the holidays.

I have always been an avid reader and I love to be surrounded by books. I own many that I have picked up at the library sales. Like Jam, I also like the way a book feels when you are holding it. My dream has always been to have a library.

However, from friends who have this it is getting more and more intriguing. I am also a gadget person.

Something that dawned on me is that the readers would help the environment. I have a couple of questions.

Do you have to have a wireless network? My never works. Can you download things like movies? I do watch many "On Demand" with Netflix as well as TV.

Bedbugs!!! I would have never thought about that. However, it does make sense since so many people like to read in bed. Ewwwwwwwwwww!!

I will never go to a libary again without a Hazmat suit.

I am going to look at prices. Has anyone used the one from Barnes and Nobel?

[This Message was Edited on 11/06/2010]
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm laughing picturing you in a hazmat suit checking out books :)

I have the wi-fi model but there is another, more expensive model, which uses phone lines or wi-fi to download books. My power cord has a UBS built in so I'm assuming it can somehow be used with a computer to upload or download things. It's possible that Amazon will have upgrades which can be downloaded from one's computer.

If I were buying a reader today, I would check them all out. All these gadgets are overlapping in their applications. I know the Nook, from Barnes & Noble, works as an MP3 player too. Also, many have color screens so that magazines with pics can be viewed. There are more and more readers and tablets available now. I would just stay away from any which does not have a screen with paper/ink technology. Any screen, such as an LED, computer-like screen, is very difficult to read outside or for long periods of time. If you can't sit and read from your computer screen for very long, you won't want one of those.

Technology is moving soooo fast now and, as I mentioned, the apps overlap. Even iPods can now stream video. I have a Wii with wi-fi capability and if I hook it up to my wi-fi, I can download Netflix movies to my TV. There are some new TV's with much improved web apps. Pretty soon, everything we own will be able to talk to, and share with, every other gadget.

It's moving faster than I can keep up. In the meantime, I am enjoying the Kindle. I know now that Amazon supports other readers but I don't remember which ones. I think other providers do too. From my early research, Amazon had more books and they were cheaper but I don't know whether that is any longer the case. Hopes this helps. My best advice is to do all the research you can before buying.

Love, Mikie
  15. victoria

victoria New Member

Here's a very recent holiday gift-giving guide which seems pretty comprehensive as to the +/- of each type reviewed, & as to the technology (lcd or ink/paper technology), features, price, etc.

Apparently only the Kindle and Sony ebook reader have the ink & paper technology, here's a review comparing/constrasting these 2:

Sony is way more expensive, so it would have to be really worth it. $179 for 'pocket' and $299 for 'daily edition'; FWIW, Sony comes with FREE access to 500,000 books - but didn't research what kind of titles, LOL.

It sure sounds like the Kindle is a winner; I sure hope they work out a better voice tho. I may wait for that, as I love downloading audio books from the library online, and there are many available for free that are classics (no copyright). I just know if I buy one now, it will be available by this time next year LOL.

16. victoria

victoria New Member

Those people your DH knew who had their books "pulled" by Amazon for some reason...

does he know if they got their money refunded?

I'd think they would automatically, but, I wonder how accurate their record keeping would be when it came to that. If they aren't reimbursed, sounds like a class-action suit waiting to happen, yikes.

17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You are smart to do the research. There wasn't much comparing to do when I got my Kindle. It wasn't what I would consider an impulse buy. I had planned on eventually getting the Kindle and thought I would have to order it from Amazon. When I saw it at Target, I grabbed one of the few remaining. I hate to have to order things and wait for them. Prayer for patience: God, give me patience; GIVE IT TO ME NOW!

I'm waiting for UPS to deliever the handle extender for my Scrubbing Bubbles sonic cleaner. I need to order some supps from PH. I'm also waiting for my order of Adrian Arpel skin care products from HSN. The dermatologist told me the best thing for my skin, following the topical chemo for skin cancer, is skin care products with vitamin C. She said they are only available from docs and spas associated with docs. Well, AA sells them and they are made by pharmaceutical companies. Her kits are so reasonable that I ordered one. I'll bet one product at the dermatologist's office costs more than the entire kit I ordered. Also, it was on Easy Pay. That always gets me :)

I haven' tried the voice on my Kindle. I fall asleep reading and if I were listening, I'd never make it past a page. I had a blind friend in college and he always fell asleep during lectures. I took notes for him and we would meet after class to discuss the lecture. Blind people have no sight feedback to keep them alert and if all they get is a boring lecture, it lulls them to sleep.

Love, Mikie
  18. victoria

victoria New Member

exactly why I listen to audio books when going to bed or resting. If I cannot sleep, at least I have something to listen to. The only time they do NOT put me to sleep is while driving long distances, thankfully; they actually keep me awake and make the time fly.

That, and starbucks, that is.
  19. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Diane, Amazon is very together in all respects except whatever happens to cause this book pulling from time to time. They wouldn't keep any money from books they pull. I am reading the new Bush book and it was really cheap for a brand new book. I'm finishing it before I turn the wi-fi back on on the Kindle. That way, if it is pulled, I will have already read it for free. I think as time goes on, this will happen less and less. It's rare now but I did see it happen to one book. It must have to do with the legalities and loopholes in contracts between Amazon and publishers/authors. BTW, the Scrubbing Bubble sonic scrubber extender handle I ordered from Amazon arrived today just as promised. Amazon doesn't actually handle the products; they just handle the ordering process. So far, I have been more than pleased with them and the ease with which I download the books.

Victoria, when I was in sales and driving all over, I would listen to self-improvement books on tape. It's amazing how much one can "read" just driving between appts. It sure beats talk radio with all the rancor.

Love, Mikie