Alternative medicine anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tlc8858, Sep 6, 2003.

  1. tlc8858

    tlc8858 New Member

    I have a doctors appointment on Monday with a doctor who uses alternative medicine as his protocol. Anyone have any ideas on what I can expect on my first visit?
    Need input please.
    thanks tlc8858
    [This Message was Edited on 09/06/2003]
  2. Adl123

    Adl123 New Member

    There are all kinds of protocols, depending on the philosophy and training of the doctor. In the past I have seen three different kinds so far. All were M.D.s. Here they are:
    Dr.#1. - She examined me, sent me for many tests, and by process of elimination, diagnosed me with CFIDS/Fibro. She put me on megadoses of supplements, told me to rest, and changed my diet, especially the water I drank. She also gave intravenus treatmets. She saved my life. Unfortunately, she died in an accident while camping.
    Dr.#2.- Dr.Waiton, Los Gatos (on the list) He continued the same protocol. He also prescribed herbal and homeopathic remedies for sinuses, etc.... He really believes in aquatherapy. Has lots of knowledge and experience. Unfortunately, I had to move.
    Dr.#3. - This doctor looked at my records, did not change the protocol, and in addition, used kineseology to diagnose allergies. She is two hours away and I found that I could not continue making the trip, and she was very expensive and did not bill insurance. I also did not feel too secure with her, as she seemed too specialized.
    Now I go to a regular M.D. whois nice, and listens to me, as well as being a good general practitioner. He is the only doctor within a two-town radius that accepts CFIDS/Febro patients. So there is my experience with doctors who use some alternative medicine. I benefitted some from all of them. I was judicious, though. I did not do things just because they were suggested. I had to believe that they were safe and would help. I hope this helps. Good luck. Terry[This Message was Edited on 09/06/2003]
  3. tlc8858

    tlc8858 New Member

    Thanks for the reply. All info is useful.
  4. tjlibby

    tjlibby New Member

    I also have or health problems. My rheumy said"no". Teri
  5. klutzo

    klutzo New Member

    Only help I've gotten is from holistic doctors. Rheumy did nothing but put tons of weight on me with useless antidepressants, and get me hooked on muscle relaxants. I would recommend a holistic M.D. or D.O. who practices integrative medicine, in case you do need some meds. If you live in Connecticutt, Arizona, Oregon or Washington, you can also go to an N.D. (Naturopathic doctor).
    I wish I had not wasted so many yrs. with conventional docs, while they covered up my symptoms and the disease just got worse. Now I'm finally getting the help I need, but it has already attacked my brain, as it usually does after about ten years. Don't make the mistake I did.
  6. hope-floats

    hope-floats New Member

    You live in Oregon so you can make an appt with a doctor of naturopathic medicine. If you go this route, make sure the doc has graduated from a college of naturopathy. There are only about 4 or 5 in the country. Best wishes.