Alternative to Elavil?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrodoll, Apr 6, 2003.

1. fibrodoll

fibrodoll New Member

I stopped taking my elavil 5 days ago cause in the time since I started taking it I have gained 30 pounds. My self-image was suffering. I was trying hard to lose weight but every time I went back to doc I had gained another 5 pounds.
    I read other posts where some complained of elavil causing them to be groggy. I never had that problem could take that stuff middle of day and still be wide awake and I was on 100mg a night. I'm very med resistant. I can have a medication work first time but not next and dose has to be increased. I have had a few problems with going cold turkey but nothing I can't deal with.
    I want to find alternative to elavil but without the weight gain. I take neurontin and zanaflex now but as with elavil they do not seem to effect my alertness.
    Any suggestions? Thanks, Valerie
  2. clueless

clueless New Member

Hope you weaned yourself off the elavil and did`nt just stop taking it completely. My doctor took me off it totally and it attacked my liver. I was very sick for about three weeks. Just thought I`d tell you that it is a drug that you should be weaned slowly off of.
  3. judywhit

judywhit New Member

you should not go cold turkey on the elavil. I tend to gain weight and have gained about 30pds since turning 40 (not from elavil) . I am on elavil 50mg for 2 months now and have not gained weight nor do I have the munchies. I think the lower doses do not tend to have this side effect. Neurontin is a big time culprit of weight gain!
  4. fibrodoll

fibrodoll New Member

I was only taking elavil for sleep. Oddly enough being dxed with fibro lifted the depression I had felt for years. It meant I wasn't crazy also resolved some issues with my Mom at same time. I got job few months after dx due to finacial problems. I was unable to seek pain relieve until many months after that because we had no health ins.
    I have a very helpful and supportive family. Husband and kids do anything for me, I am lucky woman. I am not a complainer and keep lot of pain to myself, they see how I hobble around after a day of work though. I also have pain in hips that wakes me at night, sometimes so bad that I am unable to go back to sleep.
    I try to be very optimistic cause I figure that as long as I wake each morning half my battle for that day is won. Don't go thinking I'm Suzy Sunshine though cause I get frustrated just like everyone else and I lay down, cry for awhile, sleep and get back up and go on.

I've gone off of other drugs on my own before and I am pretty good at recgonizing any serious problems. I will be okay, thanks for the worry, Valerie.

P.S. Been taking elavil for almost year now. Have only been taking nerontin for 2 months and I can report that I no longer suffer from constant headaches! If I were to continue to gain weight after longer on the nerontin I would probably stop taking it to but only time will tell.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/06/2003]
  5. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Hi ya Doll :)

I began with Elavil for sleep---it was not the med for me!
    In addition to the weight gain you describe, it did not make me sleepy, so falling asleep was really a challenge. When I finally did fall asleep I was still having 15-20 wake ups a nite.

After talking to Mikie on the benefits of Klonopin, I have been using that for about 6 months. It is wonderful! No weight gain, no racing mind at bedtime, and 0-1 wake ups a nite--with a full nights sleep. I DO NOT wake up the least bit groggy either.

Best wishes,
    LL

Most start off at .5mg at bedtime.
    I am drug resistant and take 1mg at bedtime.[This Message was Edited on 04/07/2003]
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm so glad the Klonopin works well for you too. It doesn't work for everyone. It just seems to be such a good all around drug and works on so many things.

Love, Mikie
  7. Solstice

Solstice New Member

Has anyone heard of this? I heard it could be a good alternative to the elavil. I am considering switching...........but would like to know more about it first. If any of you know, please let me know. Thanks.

[ advertisement ]