alternative to Ritalin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by krissy888, Oct 9, 2006.

1. krissy888

krissy888 New Member

I must say that I love Ritalin. Yesterday I took one and I had energy the whole day. I had a big task to do and completed it!

I am already on Lexapro and Xanax. I hate being on so many meds for my age-30 and I really don't want to add another one to the list.

Is there anything natural/herbal that gives you energy that anyone has tried that really helps? I have tried B vitamin complex and that does nothing. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

2. suz45

suz45 New Member

Hi Krissy:

Are you on the Ritalin for ADD/ADHD or did the doctor prescribe for enetgy, which I just find unusual form of treatment. If you do have ADD than find helps with focus/ attention and executive functions such as memory...

However with being on Lexapro and Xanax I am amzed you are not hitting "peaks and valleys" associated with being on stimulants and a benzo and an antidepressant.

If you are looking for more energy in general you may want to consider CoQ10 it works for many people here ...Gives overall energy as it works at the cellular level with O2 in the blood cells.

Ginko Biloba helps boost energy and mental alertness. Howver there are some contraindications with it and other meds.

Check in with your doctor....before trying out new supplements.

Also is your Ritalin time released or do you take it throughout the day? Makes a difference in attention, memory span.

Let us know how you make out.

Good luck,

Suz45
  3. s--raquel

s--raquel New Member

krissy, Hi. Im on ritalin also...I'm on a pretty large dose...in my 30's too! I take it for excessive daytime
    sleepiness,if I didn't take it I can sleep all day and night and still be so sleepy I can't stay awake or function. I almost have narcolepsy my dr says.

I have had to work with the doses and kinds several times
    to get it right...and still I have days when my mind is
    awake...but my body is just too tired...I never had the
    immediate energy that you described...so hopefully a low
    dose will be enough for you...

I am on Procaz and wellbutrin as well...I don't like taking
    this many meds either...but have to function the best I can
    and this is the only way so far...

I'm also anti-acid,anti-biotics for uti's, pain med as needed, take several vitamins...B-12 injections,Q10,etc...

I hope I can shorten the list of meds oneday....
    raquel