alternatives to provigil for energy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by floridagrl, Jun 9, 2008.

1. floridagrl

floridagrl New Member

My Dr. prescribed this and it works but my insurance won't cover it so far. I have appealed but not sure if it will work. Are there any herbs that are helpful? I can't afford $300 a month for this medication right now.
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Sometimes health insurance will not take Provigil. However if your physician uses another code, such as sleep disorders. My doctor put it under CFS or RLS.

However my copay as of June went from $14 to $28 which is a drop in the bucket compared to $300 a month.

I think there is a generic(modifinal?), but am not positive about that. However, when I see my doctor I am going to ask about it.

So you might want to ask your doctor about this. Sometimes they can even write a letter to your insurance company.

Do you know if the company that makes Provigil has a program that helps pay for the medication.

Provigil has been a miracle for me.

The only other thing I can think of is caffeine. For me it only works for about an hour and then two hours later I crash. I have heard the energy drinks also do that.

Good luck with this,

GA

[This Message was Edited on 06/09/2008]
  3. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

There is no generic available in the US. Generic is modafinil and I have ordered it in the past from an online pharmacy. For some reason it's not listed on their site anymore. I get samples from my primary care doc a lot of the time.

I've been taking it over a year and lately it's not working very well. I need to take a break from it for a short time and then it regains it's effectiveness. In order for my ins to cover it, I had to have a sleep disorder (which I don't have) since that's the main approved use for it.
  4. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

I had some trouble getting approval after the first script was filled...it took two months and a very persistant doctor but it is now approved for one year.

He had to fill out a form and write a letter in addition to phone requests. I was surprised that he got the approval, but really thankful that something helps, although it's no cure.

Have you tried NADH? Look it up on the immune site, as I used to order it from here. It did help me but I can't remember exactly what it did for me.

I also took chromium picolinate, which is for blood sugar, but it helped me with energy (I still take it), and spirulina. Those two are not too expensive and are generally good for you.
    Cindy
  5. floridagrl

floridagrl New Member

I will try that at least until I know if my appeal worked.