alternatives to Provigil?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lastormer, Mar 7, 2007.

1. lastormer

lastormer New Member

I have been on Provigil for the past two weeks.....wonderful ...wide awake..well, I ran out and my neuro was out of samples so he gave me a scrip. and OMG!!! $320.00 for a month...Insurance will approve Provigil, but only after I have been sleeping with my cpap machine (which tonight will make night 3 on my cpap)for 2 months and if I still have daytime sleepiness they will give the OK. Anyone know of anything else that is just effective without the hefty price tag?

Have a Great Day!!
    Rachael
  2. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

s-elaine mentioned "uppers" that are rx'd for ADHD, ADD etc. Drugs such as Ritalin and Adderall.

They are also used in treating narcolepsy whcih is what Provigil is for.

I am currently taking Ritalin 2x a day because I need a sleep study to get my insurance to approve Provigil...and personally, Im fine on the Ritalin. I havent heard anyone say so many great things about Provigil that I want to jump and run to the nearest sleep center or anything!

Give them a try if you are interested. Obviously they effect those that dont have ADHD or ADD the opposite. If you are interested, make sure you look into all of them...XR for both and make sure you know that one is stronger than the other.

hope this helps.
    Hugs,
    Steph
  3. TerryS

TerryS Member

Lastormer: I saw a program on 20/20 a couple of weeks ago. Apparently, the U.S. military did a study on Provigil because they are always on the look out for anything that will help our troops in the field stay awake. What they found was that Provigil was no more effective than consuming caffeine.

I tried Provigil myself (samples that were given to me by the doc). It kept me awake the first day, but didn't help my fatigue. The second day, it didn't even keep me awake. Plus, it made me feel shaky and ill.

My insurance company would not cover the cost at all since it was being used for off-label use. I was willing to pay the cost if it helped. But since it did not, I decided to not pursue it any further.

Good luck!
    TerryS
  4. Aelf

Aelf New Member

I've tried it as well, and it just ended up making my head feel even wierder. But I have a Cpap machine as well and it helped me a little bit after 3-4 weeks or so.

I would agree with the person suggesting supplements :)

Hope you find something!

C
  5. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Well, provigil works for me but luckily my insurance pays for it except for a 40 copay.

When I started on the cpap machine, I did get a little more energy as I caught up with the sleep deficit that had built up.

If coffee works for you or natural supplements, I say go for it.

Some use amphetamines but those have side effects as well.

Good luck!