Altitude Sickness

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DonnaSR, Jun 10, 2003.

1. DonnaSR

DonnaSR New Member

I will be traveling to Gunnison, Colorado in a little over a month. What can anyone tell me about altitude sickness and how it affects those of us with fibro? I like to be prepared-the plane trips alone will be difficult since I suffer from air sickness. Donna
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Colorado is my old home state. I hope you enjoy your trip. Altitude sickness is simply not getting enough oxygen because at that high an altitude, there are fewer molecules of oxygen in any give amount of air than at sea level where the air pressure is greater.

Any change in pressure, as in weather systems, can bring on our symptoms and changing altitudes is no exception. Even healthly people often feel tired, out of breath, and a feeling not unlike jet lag when acclimating to high altitudes. Do not press yourself for a couple of days and take it easy to allow the body to get used to it.

I hope you have a good time.

Love, Mikie
  3. sujay

sujay New Member

Donna,

I posted to teller7 on 6/8. you can find it by looking up "altitude" in the search window. I'd be somewaht concerned because of the high frequency with which I see problems with hypercoagulation in my CFS/FM patients. Mikie has given you good advice, but you may have to be more careful than most other people. The Black Canyon is really beautiful, though. Enjoy your trip.