ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK/PHARMACY GAVE ME SOMEONE ELSE'S MED.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kriket, Aug 26, 2006.

1. kriket

kriket New Member

I called a script in last Fri. I was not feeling good at all, so I sent my b/f to go pick it up.

He brought them to me and when I looked at the bottle, I noticed it was bigger than it normally is, then I looked at the med. and the pills looked diff. so I called them and asked them if they had changed the look of the med. I had re-filled and they said no.

I told them what they looked like, and they freaked, and said "can you come back to the pharmacy" "I think we have made a mistake and given you someone else's med." I said ok.

So anyway, the precription bottle had my name and the right med. info. on the label, but a totally diff. med. inside.

I was refilling my anti-depressant, been trying to slowly ween myself off of it, but anyway I think the med. they filled it with was time released morphine.

I asked them at the pharmacy what the wrong med. was and they quickly told me potassium, it does not look like any potassium pill I've ever seen. I got on the computer first to see if I could find out what the wrong med. was.

All I got to come up was pain med. info. like morphine and oxycodone and something else. SO BEWARE EVERYBODY, AND ALWAYS LOOK AT YOUR MED. BEFORE YOU POP IT IN YOUR MOUTH AND SWALLOW IT.

They apologized about 3 times when I took it back and they all kind of ducked their heads, they knew they had made a BIG BOOBOO!!!!

It would have been real bad, if I had taken any of it. Ok, thanks for reading, just thought I would share this scary experience!!!!!!

Kriket
    [This Message was Edited on 08/26/2006]
  2. julieisfree05

julieisfree05 New Member

I had a printout of all of my prescriptions and there were some that were for medication I had never been prescibed - by I doctor I had never heard of!

My f/x's bottom-dwelling attorney was trying to prove that I was getting medication from more than one doctor, and I didn't know the records were incorrect until we were in court.

It's good to use the same pharmacy all the time if possible, and get a printout occasionally to be sure that there data is correct.

HTH,

- julie (is free!)

I believe that the government that governs the least governs the best - and by that standard we have established a FABULOUS government in Iraq!

- Dr. Stephen T. Colbert, DFA
  3. kriket

kriket New Member

I knew a lady that this happened to. She was given someone else's heart med. and she did not even have heart problems. She spent a long time in the hosp. and came as close to dying as you can come. I know we are only human, and yes we all make mistakes, but some mistakes are very consiquential. sp? This could kill someone.

Kriket
  4. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

are either pink or blue depending on the strength
  5. kriket

kriket New Member

No. It looked like a clear herb plastic capsule. You could see through it and it was filled with little tiny white beads in it. It was the same size as an herb capsule. It had a word on it in red writing at the top of it and a #100 at the bottom of the capsule. I can't think of what the word was, but took pic. with digital camera, so I will look and post the name to see if anyone knows what it might have been.

Kriket
  6. kriket

kriket New Member

this is only a guess. From the research I done on the computer. I am not really sure what it was. Who knows. That's what's so scary.
  7. kriket

kriket New Member

Well, maybe it was potassium. When I download the pic. of it onto the computer, I will post a pic. of it to see if anyone recognizes it. Settled out of court huh? Good. Glad they did not get away with it.

Kriket
  8. kjfms

kjfms Member

where you can look up and identify pills.

http://search.drugs.com/imprints.php

Thanks,

Karen
  9. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Hi:

I guess I am very spoiled. I have been using the same Ralphs for about 5 years now. They take each medication out of the bag and double check it each time they give it to me. They know my meds, and they know me...but they still double check as they are ringing me up. When one of my medications had a change in the generic, and the generic manufacturer...the pharmacist wanted to make sure that I knew it was the same med, even though there was a note on the bottle, stating that it was a new manufacturer, and that the old pill was xxxx and the new one was yyyyy.

Ingrid