Always Thirsty

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NyroFan, Apr 7, 2006.

1. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Anyone else always thirsty. I have to have some kind of juice, diet soda, or weak iced tea nearby. I must consume a gallon or so a day, but I also feel so dried out. The tea says it is loaded with 150mg. of antioxidants, so I guess that is bonus.

I have been checked over for diabetes and that is not it.
    It is possible the meds do it or perhaps it has been my substitue for not smoking for over three years now.

I just do not know.

NyroFan
  2. mom4three

mom4three New Member

Me too...
    Been checked for sugar levels over and over all are ok but I am always thirsty and always have to be drinking something...

Tracy
  3. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

It is possible that it is your meds making your mouth dry, but it could be your body asking you do drink some water! For me, that is the only think that actually quenches the thirst - and I am always thirsty also. Ever since I was pregnant with my daughter & sick as a dog, and dehydrated as I could be, I always carry water with me & drink it constantly.

Take care,
    Leanne
  4. painandagony

painandagony New Member

I am extremely and ridiculously thirsty all the time. I was right after I got sick too, and I wasn't on any meds at the time. I have also been checked for diabetes and everything under the sun. I wonder why we're all dehydrated. I drink tons of water and green tea all day long.
  5. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I too, stay thirsty ALL of the time. I began this after my thyroid surgery in 92. I was asking for crushed ice in the hospital all of the time. Then I began drinking tea with sugar and crushed ice. Actually, there is more ice in my cup than anything else. I have several of ice crushers and crush my own ice because it's finer than what comes out of the refridgerator. My mouth gets so pasty/dry if I don't keep something in my hand, sipping on it all of the time. I think about, "how am I going to quit this habit some day"???

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that you're not alone.

BlueSky555
  6. mom4three

mom4three New Member

Too much.. I have to drink other things too just to mix it up..
    It is not about just drinking water it is just consuming the right amount of fluids. Tea, juice, water, milk they all count as your consumption as fluids...

I will try that salt intake thing.... Interesting....
  7. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Hi NyroFan!

As you can see from all the posts, you aren't alone in needing a lot of liquid.

I remember as a small child that I needed more water or liquids than the other kids. It has been this way all my life.

Though I now have diabetes, it is under control but I still must have lots and lots of water (especially with ice). I've begun carrying a water bottle with me just about everywhere.

Janice
  8. marilynb

marilynb New Member

I probably drink about 10-12 of the 16.9oz bottles of water everyday. Sometimes I will drink a sprite or 7-up, but mostly it's just water. So yeah, I guess you could say that I am thirsty, all the time...I panic if I run out.
  9. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I think we are thirsty due to the illness. I have been thirsty my whole life. In school could not pass up a water fountain without taking a drink. I always have a glass of water on hand at home and at work. I have heard that this is a symptom of canida which I do have a problem with. I am constantly in the loo because I drink so much water!
  10. JLH

JLH New Member

NyroFan,

I am always thirsty, too. One reason is that I have Sjogren's Syndrome which causes dry eyes and dry mouth.

Another is that I sleep with a CPAP each night. The forced air going down my throat for the 10-12 hours a night that I sleep dries out my mouth and throat, even though I have a humidifer on my CPAP.

You said that you are not a diabetic--which is GOOD for you!! Unfortunately, I am.

You stated that you always have to have some kind of juice, diet soda, or weak iced tea handy to drink.

Well, the soda and the tea might be liquids, but they are also diuretics which will just increase your output!

Maybe if you just drank strictly water for a while, instead of juice, sodas, and tea, maybe you might not be as thirsty. It's worth giving it a try.

I can't remember if you said you did not eat a lot of sodium in your foods or not. You are supposed to cut down on sodium (salt), too!

Hugs,
    Janet

11. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

I can certainly relate to chronic thirst. I have always felt thirstly most of the time, but during treatment for breast cancer it was constantly on my mind. It's such an awful feeling. The only time I felt well was when I would get a large amount of medication (by IV). Sometimes in between treatments I would go in just for a saline IV.

So, Dr. Salvato in Houston prescribed a trial dose of fludrocortisone, which is a mineralcorticoid. Sort of similar to what someone above said about feeling better after eating lots of salt. Fludrocortisone helps you hold on to salt and water will stay in the body with it. It has made a tremendous difference to me. I was able to sleep through the night without drinking, and didn't have that desperate thirst. I actually found myself going out and about without taking a water bottle. Amazing. I take a very small dose. It has not affected my blood pressure at all, which is very low. I think we probably have low blood volume. Hope this helps, Diane
  12. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I keep bottled water Upstairs,downstairs living room.in the refrigerator and take it with me in the car.i believe it's the meds.For me,especially the muscle relaxer.A benefit is it makes your skin look good.Linda
  13. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

I certainly agree with the observation that our meds can cause dry mouth. But for me anyway, the sensation of thirst was with me long before I took any meds for CFS or firbro. Diane
  14. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Thirsty all the time, always sipping/gulping water, saline nasal sprays for my nose, drops for my eyes.

Water, water everywhere, but not a drop to drink quenches the thirsties.

June
  15. Jordane

Jordane New Member

Cannot get enough to drink.But only water quenches it.
    Take Care
    Jordane